Author Topic: Welsh Emigrants To Patagonia  (Read 22189 times)

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Welsh Emigrants To Patagonia
« Reply #9 on: Monday 13 February 12 14:31 GMT (UK) »
The contact has got back to me again stating he may have been born c 1853 in the Corwen area.he was apparently of some literary reknown,the Huw "Forwr" mentioned as a non de plume in the Wrexham Advertizer in 1878 could well be him.

Regards
William Russell Jones.
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Francis - Nantwich Cheshire.
Dennell - Cheshire/Staffordshire.
Talbot-Shropshire
Census Information Is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 13 February 12 14:38 GMT (UK) »
1884, 1895, 1853 - seems a bit vague to me.

So did he marry into your Gabriel family  ???

Forwr/morwr - sailor, I think
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 13 February 12 15:08 GMT (UK) »
The contact on GR has a relative who married into the Gabriel family.I just said I'd try and see what I could find.The Hugh Davies,the contact is adamant there is no E in the Davies,could have course have been born anywhere in the Corwen area in c 1853.The contact mentions somewhere called Moel Aden,I've never heard of it though!

Regards
William Russell Jones.
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Talbot-Shropshire

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 13 February 12 15:10 GMT (UK) »
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 13 February 12 15:23 GMT (UK) »
Thanks,I was looking at a family who had the Druid just south of there,in their address earlier!

Regards
William Russell Jones.
All North Wales.
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Talbot-Shropshire

Offline Sam Swift

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 18 March 12 10:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi
There was a Hugh Davies horn in Bangor who emugrated between 1881 and 1883 and was the anglican chaplian of Llanddewi Church, but he was born in Corwen area and lived in Dwygyfylchi in 1871. In Patagonia he was known as Huw Ddu.

There was also a Hugh Davies (apparently known as Hugo'r Andes), acording to the NLW manuscript colllection for Patagonia.

Also a Hugh Davies 1853-1938, who was musical and wrote songs and music and had a nephew R.E Jones in Corwen.

I'll check the list of names that went out on the Vesta in 1881
Sam

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 18 March 12 10:58 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for this Sam.

Regards
William Russell Jones.
All North Wales.
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Talbot-Shropshire

Offline Sam Swift

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 18 March 12 11:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Moel Aden a dwelling in  DOLABERALWEN on the 1891 Corwen census-  Llawr Bettws and part of Corewn Dist (RG12/4636)
and there are a couple of Davies's listed:
2 Moel Aden, schedule 38 (Edward aged 80 widow living with son-in-law William D. Meredith aged 27 and his family)

1 Moel Aden Thomas Davies 67, living with his son-in-law Evan Jones aged 25 and his family.

I've checked the entire list of passengers that sailed arrived in Buenos Aires on board the Vesta on 17 Jul 1886 and there was a Hugh Davies but aged 24 and an Evan Davies aged 20 and Geo Davies aged 20 all listed together.

Unfortunately the list only stated what country they came  from and on the passenger list everybody from Wales was listed as having been from England!

I've done a search http://www.cemla.com/busqueda.php# (Centro de Estudios Latinoamericanos) which has passenger lists for all those arriving at Buenos Aires from 1882. Obviously names would not necessarily be spelled properly and the list is transcribed by Argentinians not familiar with Welsh names etc;

Anyway, I checked for Hugh Davis and Hugh Davies between 1882 and 1911 and the only one that came up was the Hugh Davies who sailed on the Vesta.

Do you have any other relevant info about him ?

Sam

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 18 March 12 12:29 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Sam,yes it is the Hugh Davies you mention,I've since found he was born in Moel Aden.

Regards
William Russell Jones
All North Wales.
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Talbot-Shropshire