Author Topic: UK Military attestation papers - what are the questions asked? Circa 1908  (Read 1597 times)

Offline Gen List Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Jane ANDERSON nee DODD, 2 x g grandmother.
    • View Profile
I am trying to decipher some Territorial attestation papers but as the edges are burnt off I only have the answers but not the questions.

I have been trying to find a blank form or one that is unburnt with no success.

Does anyone know the questions on all the pages?

Gen in NBL England
UK - Northumberland, County Durham: ANDERSON,   DODD(S), EDWARDS, ELLIOTT/ELLET, FENWICK, GREY/GRAY, HINDMARCH and variants, JORDAN, MOORE, MURRAY, RIPPON, RODDHAM, RYDER-TURNER, SPARK(E)(S), STEWART, TILLEY, TIPLADY, WATSON,
Sheffield: TURNER
Middlesex: RYDER
<br />Aberdeenshire: EDWARDS, BRODIE<br />Angus STEWART, DIXON, PETRIE

Offline JMB1943

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: UK Military attestation papers - what are the questions asked? Circa 1908
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 26 August 14 18:53 BST (UK) »
I can provide 1902 Regular Army attestation questions, if that would be useful.

Asking, rather than doing, because there is an awful lot of typing involved, possibly a lot of awful typing !

JMB

Ballard/Hew/Mitchell/Mountcastle/Palmer/Spicer/White

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 26 August 14 19:56 BST (UK) »
The usual form, for Short Service, is:

1. What is your Name?
2. What is your full Address?
3. Are you a British Subject?
4. What is your Age?
5. What is your Trade or Calling?
6. Are you Married?
7. Have you ever served in any branch of His Majesty's Forces, naval or military, and if so, which?
8. Are you wiling to be vaccinated or re-vaccinated?
9. Are you Willing to be enlisted for General Service?
10. Did you receive a Notice, and do you understand it's meaning, and who gave it to you?
11. Are you willing to serve upon the following conditions provided His Majesty should so long require your services?
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 26 August 14 20:06 BST (UK) »
Found a Territorial Force form!

1. What is your Name and Address?
2. Are you willing to be attested  for service in the Territorial Force for the term of 4 years (provided His Majesty should so long rewuire your services) for the county of ________ to serve in the ________
3. Have you received a notice stating the liabilities you are incurring by enlisting, and do you understand them?
4. Do you belong to, or have you ever served in the Royal Navy, the Army, the Royal Marines, the Militia, the Special Reserve, the Territorial Force, the Imperial Yeomanry, the Volunteers, the Army Reserve, the Militia Reserve, orany Naval ReserveForce? If so, state which unit, and, if discharged, cause of discharge
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Gen List Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 27 August 14 07:56 BST (UK) »
Thank you to all who have replied.

From the odd word that I can read on my form, the questions are not the same as on your form.

My form is titled "Territorial Force service in the UK, ............ used only for yeomanry or volunteers...........before 1 April 1908"     BUT this form was used on the 19th July 1908!

if the darn thing hadn't been burnt and water damaged it would have been easier but at least some scraps are left!

Gen in NBL England
UK - Northumberland, County Durham: ANDERSON,   DODD(S), EDWARDS, ELLIOTT/ELLET, FENWICK, GREY/GRAY, HINDMARCH and variants, JORDAN, MOORE, MURRAY, RIPPON, RODDHAM, RYDER-TURNER, SPARK(E)(S), STEWART, TILLEY, TIPLADY, WATSON,

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 27 August 14 08:19 BST (UK) »
Ah! You mean Form No. E502?! ;D ;D

1. What is your Name?
2. In what parish or town were you born?
3. Are you a British Subject?
4. What is your Age?
5. What is your Trade or Calling?
6. In whose employ are you
7. Where do you now reside?
8. Are you an Apprentice? If so, please state particulars.
9. Are you Married?
10 . Do you now belong to the Army, the Marines, the Militia, the Militia Reserve, the Imperial Yeomanry,  the Territorial Force, the Royal Navy, the Army Reserve (Regular or Special), or any Naval Reserve Force? If so, to what Corps?
11. Have you ever served in the Army, the Marines, the Militia, the Special Reserve,the Imperial Yeomanry,  the Territorial Force, , the Royal Navy, the Army Reserve (Regular or Special), or any Naval Reserve Force? If so, please state Corps, and cause of discharge.
12. Have you ever been rejected as unfit for the Military or Naval  Forces of the Crown? If so, on what grounds?
13. Did you receive a Notice, and do you understand it's meaning?
14. Are you willing to be attested for the term of 4 years (provided His Majesty should so long require your services) for service in the Territorial Force of the county of ________ to serve in the ________
15. (This is a 5 part question that refers to understanding the terms and conditions!)

See: http://armyformsandattestations.blogspot.com/2014/02/army-form-e502-territorial-force.html

Offline Gen List Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 27 August 14 08:26 BST (UK) »
That is the form! Apologies for not making myself clear the first time, I didn't know there were so many forms for the same thing. Typical Army!

Gen in NBL England

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 27 August 14 08:37 BST (UK) »
That is the form! Apologies for not making myself clear the first time, I didn't know there were so many forms for the same thing. Typical Army!

Gen in NBL England

Neither did I?!! ;D

Offline Gen List Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 27 August 14 08:41 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the link to the forms too! I have it bookmarked now.  That was what I tried to find via Google but it missed it!

Gen in NBL England