Author Topic: John HORGAN b 1831 abt.  (Read 5236 times)

Offline azmara

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John HORGAN b 1831 abt.
« on: Thursday 16 June 11 23:52 BST (UK) »
 I am trying to trace the family of John HORGAN b approx 1831. in Co. Cork Ireland ! ???
His death certificate gives the following information.
Father. Jeremiah HORGAN
Mother Ellen HORGAN ( ms unknown)

He married Elizabeth DYER in Coolbanagher, Laois 20/Aug 1861  and they travelled to New Zealand onboard the "MYSTERY" ( great name!) Oct 1861

If anyone could give me any idea on how to find a birth in Cork I would be very grateful.
Elizabeth was COI and as they didn't marry in a church, I don't really know if he was too, although he is buried in the Anglican side of the cemetery in Waimate NZ.
many thanks, Mila

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: John HORGAN b 1831 abt.
« Reply #1 on: Friday 17 June 11 08:09 BST (UK) »
John's birth is well before the start of Full Civil records in Ireland (1864), so you would need to check what baptism records might be available for the area your Horgan family lived. To do this you would need to know the family religion and where in Co. Cork they lived - i.e. parish or townland.

RC Parish records for part of Co. Cork (south west) are currently available on www.irishgenealogy.ie

see :

Introduction to Irish Records

My Ancestor came from Ireland - where do I start?   

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline azmara

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 17 June 11 09:44 BST (UK) »
Thank you Shane.
 Sadly I have no idea whereabouts in Cork he came from, and so far have no idea how to find out.All we know about him came from his death certificate.
However I will read up on the links you sent.
thanks again,
Mila

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 17 June 11 09:46 BST (UK) »
Is the marriage you have a civil cert ?

It should give his current residence and his father's name and occupation.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Maureen NZ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 03 July 13 09:38 BST (UK) »
Hi
Have you had any luck finding your Horgan birth, in case you haven't, click on this link :
http://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/search.jsp?name2fm=&name2l=&namefm=John&namel=Horgan&location=&dd=&mm=&yy=1831&submit=Search&sort=date&pageSize=100&diocese=&parish=&century=&decade=&exact=&ddB=&ddM=&ddD=&mmB=&mmM=&mmD=&yyB=&yyM=&yyD=&locationB=&locationM=&locationD=&member0=&member1=&member2=&member3=&member4=&member5=&member6=&member7=&member8=&member9=&namef0=&namef1=&namef2=&namef3=&namef4=&namef5=&namef6=&namef7=&namef8=&namef9=&namel0=&namel1=&namel2=&namel3=&namel4=&namel5=&namel6=&namel7=&namel8=&namel9=&keyword=

If it doesn't work go to : http://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/
this is a good site - click on the BLUE letters, it will take you to the transcription,
I have a genealogy friend who is looking for the descendants of Cornelius Horgan and Mary O'Connor, - Mary was from co Kerry, they married in NZ, and later  they died in New Zealand in 1919, are they connected to your family?
Hope this helps, would love to hear if this is any connection

Maureen  :)
Maureen O'Connor NZ

Offline azmara

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 03 July 13 11:06 BST (UK) »
Many thanks Maureen. Unfortunately he does not appear on here. Have already searched this.I don't think there is a connection with Cornelius but you never know. John's parents were Jeremiah and Ellen. John came out and settled in Waimate South Canterbury. There were other Horgans also in Waimate, strangely Jeremiah and Ellen!  (No relation as far as I can see.) Maybe they might be your friends relations. I sent away for Jeremiahs dc to find if they were related..His parents were John Horgan and Mary Sullivan from Killarney Kerry. Check the Waimate cemetery. There are lots of Horgans there.
There is a Cornelius Horgan listed on the Westland directory as farmer, Temuka 1923