Author Topic: Henry Elliott SMITH x 2, Father and Son  (Read 15891 times)

Offline canberraterry

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Henry Elliott SMITH x 2, Father and Son
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 12 August 10 12:54 BST (UK) »
aghadowey,

Thank you for your perserverence. Sadly I do not have the marriage certificate, or even the date of the marriage, although I do have Isabella's parents' names: Rev John Vignoles Brabazon (7 April 1811-1899) and Mary Jefferson (1815-24 May 1855), and Rev John's parents: William Philip Brabazon (28 Oct 1783-13 Dec 1854) and Letitia Vignoles (12 July 1786-20 Dec 1859). But the family has nothing of Henry Elliott junior's parentage apart from what I have given.

The LDS Pilot site you listed has a reference to the correct Henry Elliott (junior) at Film No 101598 Vol 2 Page 555, DFN 4200680, Image 00495. Unfortunately I don't know how to take that further to see what it contains.

Terry
Humble, Cunningham, Ferguson, Browne, Smith, Brabazon, Pincombe, Black, Mackie, White

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 12 August 10 12:55 BST (UK) »
I see three marriages for an Isabella Brabazon/Brabason on the BMD index in the right timeframe (1860s?).. but cannot find cross-match for any of them to a Henry Smith. Here's the basic details for ref :

Name: Isabella Georgina Cash Brabazon
 Dublin North / 1863/ 5-168  (reg dist. - page-vol)
Name: Isabella Jane Brabazon
 Mullingar / 1866 / 18-263
Name: Fanny Isabella Clarence Brabazon
 Dublin South / 1862 / 5- 376

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 12 August 10 12:56 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately I don't know how to take that further to see what it contains.

See the topic Introduction to Irish Records for details on searching the BMD index, ordering certs etc...

Shane

Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 12 August 10 12:58 BST (UK) »
Do you have birth certificates for any of the children? baptisms?

Added- just found this website but it really doesn't provide more details than Shane has found-
http://www.brabazonarchive.com/Pages/Registered%20marriages%20from%20Ireland.htm
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 12 August 10 13:07 BST (UK) »
I see three marriages for an Isabella Brabazon/Brabason on the BMD index in the right timeframe (1860s?).. but cannot find cross-match for any of them to a Henry Smith. Here's the basic details for ref :

Name: Isabella Georgina Cash Brabazon
 Dublin North / 1863/ 5-168  (reg dist. - page-vol)
Name: Isabella Jane Brabazon
 Mullingar / 1866 / 18-263
Name: Fanny Isabella Clarence Brabazon
 Dublin South / 1862 / 5- 376

Shane

Isabella Georgina (nee Cash) Brabazon married 20 June 1863 Dublin to George Kennedy.
Isabella Jane Brabazon m.18 Dec.1863 to John Henry Moore
Fanny Isabella Clarence Brabazon m. 7 july 1862 James William Knott.

All three marriages with grooms listed on LDS Pilot site.

Offline canberraterry

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 12 August 10 13:14 BST (UK) »
Do you have birth certificates for any of the children? baptisms?

Added- just found this website but it really doesn't provide more details than Shane has found-
http://www.brabazonarchive.com/Pages/Registered%20marriages%20from%20Ireland.htm

Thank you. I have no birth certificates or baptism records for the children, just my grandmother's notes and some annotated photos.
Humble, Cunningham, Ferguson, Browne, Smith, Brabazon, Pincombe, Black, Mackie, White

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 12 August 10 13:21 BST (UK) »
Here are the children you've listed- William 1868, Ida 1870, Florence 1872, Lily 1876 and John 1878. Are there exact dates of birth in your grandmother's notes?
There is no birth registration for an Ida Smith anywhere in Ireland in 1870 (searched 1870-1879).
One registration for a Florence Smith in 1872 (Dublin North)- Florence Edith Smith.
Lily (no births for Lily Smith in 1876) could be a nickname for Elizabeth and William and John would bring up many possiblities.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 12 August 10 13:23 BST (UK) »
I think you need to begin the search with actual verified records... starting Australia and working backwards step by step - i.e. death cert, marriage cert, birth cert etc...

....married an Isabella Brabazon (1839-1923) (sometimes spelled Brabason) and they had 6 children, of whom John Wesley SMITH (Born Bray, Co Wicklow 9 September 1878

have you located Isabella or John. W.  on the 1901 and/or 1911 census in Ireland ?

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline canberraterry

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 12 August 10 13:37 BST (UK) »
I think you need to begin the search with actual verified records... starting Australia and working backwards step by step - i.e. death cert, marriage cert, birth cert etc...

have you located Isabella or John. W.  on the 1901 and/or 1911 census in Ireland ?
Shane
Thanks Shane, that is the way I have been tackling it but I keep drawing a blank in relation to the elder of the two Henry Elliott Smiths and the younger's marriage to Isabella Brabazon.

Isabella is recorded in several documents but I can't confirm tonight that either of them is either census document as I am not in my office (It is late here). I will track them down tomorrow and get back to you. Thanks again for your help.
Terry