Author Topic: Montgomery, John attorney/barrister Dublin about 1785  (Read 5928 times)

Offline Mimble

• RootsChat Senior
  • Annie Louisa Jones of Aldon, great grandmother
    • View Profile
Montgomery, John attorney/barrister Dublin about 1785
« on: Sunday 31 August 14 14:15 BST (UK) »
Dear All
I am looking for details of John Montgomery b. c. 1765 who became a lawyer in Dublin and died 1815. His father was John Montgomery of Oldtown, Naas, b. 1747 who married Anne Faulkner in 1770.
Does anyone have access to the book:  The King's Inns Admission Papers by Pearl Eustace to do a lookup for me please? Otherwise the King's Inns require a euro50 charge for a lookup.
Many thanks
regards
Mary
Morgan, Wilcox, Hulbert, Olive - Gloucestershire; Diggines, Gill, Rivers, Bull, Powell, Howell - Bristol; Hulley, Cawood - Yorkshire and South Africa; Stedman,  Hamar, Luther - Shropshire; Staddon, Rawle, Richards, Kemp -  West Somerset; Jones - Bettws, Montgomeryshire and Mainstone, Shropshire; Williams - Beguildy, Radnorshire; Coleman - Kent; Gradwell, Strickland - Lancashire;  Moodie -  Orkneys; Montgomery - Armagh, Down and Kildare; Parke - Kildare and Wicklow; Brangan - Bandon, Cork.

Offline LH

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Montgomery, John attorney/barrister Dublin about 1785
« Reply #1 on: Monday 01 September 14 10:42 BST (UK) »
Hi
You can search 1607-1867 admissions yourself at:

http://www.irishmanuscripts.ie/digital/Kings%20Inns%20Admission%20Papers%201607-1867/pageflip.html

Pages 344-345 list Montgomery entrants.

Cheers

Offline Mimble

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 01 September 14 16:55 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much , LH - saved me some money, as he isn't there - obviously he wasn't a lawyer after all!
Lots of other useful things in that archive too!
Regards
Mary
Morgan, Wilcox, Hulbert, Olive - Gloucestershire; Diggines, Gill, Rivers, Bull, Powell, Howell - Bristol; Hulley, Cawood - Yorkshire and South Africa; Stedman,  Hamar, Luther - Shropshire; Staddon, Rawle, Richards, Kemp -  West Somerset; Jones - Bettws, Montgomeryshire and Mainstone, Shropshire; Williams - Beguildy, Radnorshire; Coleman - Kent; Gradwell, Strickland - Lancashire;  Moodie -  Orkneys; Montgomery - Armagh, Down and Kildare; Parke - Kildare and Wicklow; Brangan - Bandon, Cork.

Offline LH

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 01 September 14 17:49 BST (UK) »
Hi

Glad to assist.

Also, if John, Senior and Anne Faulkner married in 1770 - is it likely this couple had a son John, born c. 1765 ..... 5 years BEFORE they married?

Cheers

Offline Mimble

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 01 September 14 19:32 BST (UK) »
This is what I need to prove. I think the John Montgomery I am looking for, was the product of an earlier, possibly illegitimate union between John Montgomery b. 1747 who married Anne Faulkner in 1770, and a Bell lady. I believe this because the children of John and Anne were John b. 1771 d. 1776; Samuel (the "eldest son" in all the documents) b. 1772; William b. 1774; Colonel James Montgomery (the "elder brother of John Burgh"); Hugh, Robert and John Burgh who were all baptised 1780; and Andrew Thomas b. 1782 (the "9th and Youngest son" in all the documents). I'm working from hints in the reminiscences of John Montgomery the 1820 settler the grandson of John Montgomery of Oldtown, Naas.

Offline Hunckes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 06 October 15 22:25 BST (UK) »
[Sir] William Betham, Ulster king at arms,  traced the lineage of the Oldtown, Naas, Montgomery's from Hugh Montgomery of Ballylessan, and his first wife, [Levinia Mary] Hunckes, [marriage licence, Dublin, 1669] daughter of Col [Sir] Hercules Hunckes, regicide, (ch Stratford upon Avon, 1601-died Lisburn, 1677) governor of Derry, to the family of Andrew Thomas  Montgomery (1782-) son of John Montgomery, of Oldtown, County Kildare. Betham proposed Andrew for membership of the Royal Dublin Society. The only irregularity he noted was the omission of John from his mothers will. James  Montgomery, was a witness at the wedding “out” of Quaker, Eliza Hanks to Major John Wills, police magistrate, of Willsbrook, Lucan. Eliza had, by her husband John, a son, John Forbes Wills. Eliza was a sibling of George Hanks, father in law of abolitionist col. Richard Josiah Hinton (1830-1901) Abraham Lincolns first biographer. Hercules Hunckes, youngest of five sons and three daughters of [Sir]Thomas Hunckes [Dublin 1605, by Arthur Chichester, lord deputy] Thomas married Katherine Conway, daughter of [Sir] John Conway, of Lisburn and Ragley. Hercules Hunckes was named for his relative, Hercules Rainsford of Tew, Oxon.     

Offline Mimble

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 08 October 15 21:49 BST (UK) »
Wow, this is tremendously exciting! thanks so much Hunckes! I would be very interested to see this lineage. Is it available online at all?
I have found out that John Montgomery's mother was a Miss Hardy who wasn't actually married to his father, Will Montgomery. This from a letter from 1767 from one of John's brother-in-laws to be to another, debating the merits of John as suitor to their sister. John of Oldtown, Naas, adopted the coat of arms of the Montgomery family of the Ards, (see attached picture showing the coat of arms over the fireplace of the house he built in 1770) but I have no idea of how this line is traced. One clue is that John was a gentleman 'of Crumlin' when he married, suggesting a connection with the Crumlin Montgomerys who also had the same coat of arms. So I'd really like to know how they are connected.
Mary

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Mimble

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 09 October 15 19:52 BST (UK) »
Thanks Hallmark.
Mary