Author Topic: Stapleford  (Read 8324 times)

Offline Chesters Thompson

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Stapleford
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 03 November 11 16:14 GMT (UK) »
Hello Christine -

That is interesting, so John was Stephen's older brother, and was presumably also born at Wharton. As I'm sure you'll know, George & Elizabeth married in 1830, but I think Elizabeth died not very long after Stephen's birth in 1840.

Several of Elizabeth Chesters's relations farmed too, some near Holmes Chapel, though around Winsford seems to be the family patch. In fact, the first Stephen CT's in-laws, the Fairhursts (hence Charlotte's second name) were farmers / smallholders near Northwich too.

You'll see from the marriage certificate that the Stephen CT's older child, Charlotte, married Patrick Casey Connolly in Leek R.C. Church while her father (then remarried to Caroline) lived at a house nearby on Rudyard Lake - of which there's rather a lot I could tell you.

Once married they they moved (and I expect this is why you can't trace her) to a Drogheda Hall / House (?) in Ireland. I was led to believe (and I don't think one can libel the dead!) he was a drunk and things were not a great success. Other than that I'm afraid I don't know a great deal about her, save that she survived some appalling hunting accident when she fell on spiced railings.

However, she eventually returned to Cheshire / Manchester without her husband, who may have been dead by then. She probably died in the 1930s / 40s. She had no children but my grandparents occasionally mentioned "Lotty's pots" - which I think were some sort of ornament, rather than an insinuation that she was mad. Anyway, I don't believe I ever saw the said pots, though I think my parents have one of her Irish paintings.

Best wishes,  Simon

Offline turnerhoyle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 03 November 11 17:35 GMT (UK) »

hello simon, nice to hear from you.  after elizabeth died in 1846 george remarried mary partington on the 6th aug 1848, they had 3 children- joseph 1849, elizabeth 1852 and george 1855.

on the 1841 cencus george thomson and elizabeth had 2 children with them, william thomson born 1830 and emelia thomson born 1832, james,john, ann and stephen also with them, so this must be correct family, but who do you thinl william and emelia were, elizabeth would have been to young to be their mother
                        thank you for sharing your family info - very interesting

kind regards christine

Offline jpnb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 24 August 13 00:43 BST (UK) »
Hello- Patrick Casey Connolly was Mayor of Drogheda from 1884-1885 and was appointed High Sheriff of County Louth by Queen Victoria in 1892. His residence was in Beaulieu, outside Drogheda. He died in 1894.
Jonathan

Offline Adrian Stevenson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 26 October 14 14:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi Guys, my name is Adrian Stevenson.

I can tell you about the Stevensons of Ruddington. Being one of them, I have done extensive work on my Stevenson family tree. The family still live in the village and I still work there, but now live over the border in Derbyshire.

@ Christine: you are my 1st cousin 3x removed of husband of 3rd cousin 3x removed!!

@ Simon: we are direct 6th Cousins. William Stevenson 1745 – 1784 is our common ancestor. His son, John Stevenson (my Great Uncle x 4) did not die young. In fact, he lived to the ripe old age of 91.  Here is a rather nice story about him:

"Sarah was considered one of a large family, well to do and intelligent- the most beautiful girl in the neighbourhood....She and her infant daughter dying so suddenly (in childbirth) so unhinged her husband's mind that, giving his little boy William two shillings and sixpence and bidding him to go to this Grandfather Hallam, the sorrowing father went off and after many months of uncertainty, news came that he had enlisted with the Army" (He fought with Sir John Moore)
"Many years passed and a broken down and wounded man returned to his native land and the little lad who he had deserted at such a tender age became the stay and comfort of his last years which were prolonged to the age of 91"

Cheers, Ade.
Stevensons of Ruddington. Haplogroup  I FCG24357. MT Haplogroup T2c1. GedMatch number T419829