Author Topic: Isaac Wolfsdorf b.c.1874  (Read 3156 times)

Online Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Isaac Wolfsdorf b.c.1874
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 15 April 14 17:39 BST (UK) »
In case this might be the same person (as your Wolfsdorf):

1911 English census summary book:
Wolfsdorf (Lodger) 3 males, 1 female
Christian Street, #51, St. George in the East, London

I can only view a snippet of the article, but
December 14, 1901 - London
Three people were charged on warrants apparently for conducting a gaming house.  One of the individuals was an Isaac Wolfsdorf.  He was operating as the banker.  They were all fined 20 pounds or less.  The operation was at 14 Little Tumer Street, St. George's.  Note, also spelled Little Torner.

An internet search shows Little Turner no longer exists but it is roughly where the present-day Rampart Street is positioned.  Another site backs this up by showing Little Turner is now Rampart.

It appears to be a 5 minute walk from Christian Street to Rampart Street.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Online Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 15 April 14 18:08 BST (UK) »
1901 St. George North, St. George in the East, London
Isaac Wotpdorf, age 28, occupation Boot(?) Machiner, Worker, born Russia
Sarah, wife, age 28, born Russia
Louis, son, age 5, born St. Georges E
Abraham, son, age 2, born St. Georges E
Benjamin, son, age 5 mo., born St. Georges E
29 L. Chapman Street

This address is less than a ten minute walk from Christian Street, so it appears they moved in the same neighbourhood.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline Chooch

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 16 April 14 01:07 BST (UK) »
Oh! my goodness

I'm still searching for the elusive 1901 and you found it in a blink.
Hoping to find the 1895 marriage parish record, hopefully it will turn up soon. I wonder if Mary found out that he must have committed bigamy when marrying Elsie in 1908 and as you say went her separate way.
Trouble with the law as well eh? must have been quite a charmer this man.
Yes I've seen  the photo of Isaac on the back of his passport app.

Thank you and bless you Lisa, Shellyesq and polarbear.

Chooch
Bear - Essex/ London/Middlesex
Fleming - Stockton,Wiltshire,
Gatward - Essex/Middlesex
Haggar/Hagger- Essex/Middlesex
Osborne - Somerset/Lond/Middlesex. CAN/USA
Page -Essex/Hertfordshire/Middlesex/Canada/USA
Rawlings - Lond/Middlesex UK
Woodroff/e -Wiltshire, Lond/Middlesex
Tillcock - Bedfordshire, Hertfordshire

Offline Ruby Down Under

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 24 August 16 15:08 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I have been researching Isaac Wolfsdorf born 1874 in Warsaw Russia for a friend.
I have him marrying in 1895 England to Sarah Luis. In 1906 he leaves his family in England and travels to Nova Scotia, Canada with his nephew Abraham Jacobs. From Vancouver they travel to America. Staying with Mrs Eva Babchuck in Seattle Washington. Sister in law of Isaac. Aunt of Abraham. I then also have the same records as everybody else. I thought that maybe Sarah could have travelled to America from England when her children had grown up and resided with her husband until his death. The only thing issue with this theory was that the Sarah on the 1940 census was 10 years younger than Isaac where as the Sarah on the British census was the same age as her husband.
Sarah Wolfsdorf died in England in 1950. I thought she may have returned to England after her husbands death in America. She still had children living there.
Isaac and Sarah's children travelled to and from England to America. I assume to visit family.  Lewis the eldest son had settled in Texas.
I haven't thought of Isaac marrying someone else. So that was interesting to read.
Thanks for helping me find the 1901 census entry. The spelling was incorrect. I had been searching for that one for quite a while.
I hope he wasn't a bigamist but it makes for an interesting story if he was.
I also wonder how many Isaac Wolfsdorf were living in the United States around this time.

Offline Chooch

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 25 August 16 03:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Ruby
In case you do not have the following----
Isaac d.1.Oct. 1944, Service at Sinai Memorial Chapel, Geary. Buried Eternal home Cemetery, Colma adjacent to Sarah Rose who died 1 May 1943, same service and burial places. This confirmed by the director of Sinai Mem. Chapel.

Certainly an interesting story this one, I'm sure there is more to it, only wish I could have known more about his life with Elsie Osborne who was my relative.

Offline Ruby Down Under

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 25 August 16 13:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Chooch,
Many thanks for the info on Isaac Wolfsdorf I will pass it onto my friend.
Looks like Isaac may have had two Sarah's in his life. The one in England who states in the 1911 census that she is married and has been for 16 years. No Isaac on the 1911 English census as he would have been in America by this time and building a new life. I am pretty sure the Isaac Wolfsdorf you speak of and the one from England are one and same. Though you can never be one hundred percent sure. On the US passport application for Isaac he states his father's name is Lius Wolfsdorf. The Isaac from England names his first child Lewis. Sarah on her marriage to Isaac say her name is Sarah Lius. I actually think it may have been Purzitsky. Jewish people tended to anglicise there names or use a less complicated form. The next generation of Wolfsdorf's in England changed their name to Waldorf.
Good luck with finding out more about your ancestor Elsie Osborne.
Ruby

Offline Chooch

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 25 August 16 14:30 BST (UK) »
You are welcome.
I knew about the name changes, after much searching. I hope your friend finds the answers he/she seeks.

Chooch.