Author Topic: Illusive and Illegitimate COLLIER - YEWDALL  (Read 9842 times)

Offline rupiezucki

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Illusive and Illegitimate COLLIER - YEWDALL
« on: Thursday 13 November 08 20:20 GMT (UK) »
I am still trying to locate my great grandmother's sister.

The child emigrated with her mother to Canada in the 1890's under the name Isabel Beatrix COLLIER and susbsequent Canadian records list her under that name.

Her mother was Catharine Hill COLLIER.

Catharine's husband John Monkman Peacock COLLIER died shortly after the 1881 census.

There were 3 children, Elizabeth, Ethel and George Edwin.  Elizabeth and Ethel are living with Collier grandparents in 1891.  George Edwin died before this, his death being registered in Dewsbury.

In June 1883, (2 years after her father's death), Isabel Beatrix was born.  Searches of BMD and IGI do not find her under the name Collier.

Catharine Hill and JMP Collier's marriage was registered in Wharfedale (married at Ilkley Parish Church).

In 1891, Catharine Collier (mistranscribed Catharine Collen) was living with the family of her sister Mary B Young (mistranscribed Mary B Fanny) and another sister Jane A Bettany (mistranscribed Jane A Bottay) in Lockwood.

Neither Isabel Beatrix nor Jane's son, Harold were with them.  Harold was found with a brother, Christopher Hill.

Harold's birth was registered Sep 1876 in Wharfedale.

So ....  I did a freebmd search of Jun and Sep 1883 in Wharfedale and found Isabel Beatrice YEWDALL.  I also searched all of England for the same time period and found only 3 other Isabel Beatrices, all down south.

Isabel is obviously NOT the daughter of John MP Collier.

Searches of freebmd and igi turn up no marriage of anyone named Yewdall to Catharine Collier or Catharine Hill.

Is there any way, short of ordering a birth certificate, to find the mother's maiden name of Isabel Beatrice Yewdall (reg Sep 1883, Wharfedale)?

Thanks to anyone in a position to do a lookup or for any helpful advice.
Cheers,
Rupie
Scales - Scarborough, Farmany, Ellerburne, Thornton, Pickering; Collier - Atwick, Lund; Lake - Norfolk; Ridley - Durham; Stokoe - Northumberland;
Monkman - Yorkshire; Peacock - Seamer; Umpleby; Cook; Hetherington - Northumberland; Whitwham - Sunderland, Ripon, Grantley; Robinson - Canada, Vancouver; Paton - Scotland, Auchtergaven

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Illusive and Illegitimate COLLIER - YEWDALL
« Reply #1 on: Friday 14 November 08 01:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Unfortunately - it's not possible to lookup births in that way.

However - the birth is shown on Yorkshire BMD and I think you will find it's a different entry to the one on freebmd and more likely to be the right one

Yorkshire Birth indexes for the years: 1883

YEWDALL Isabel Beatrix Otley Leeds   OTLE/38/98

If you apply direct to the registry office instead of the GRO, and put a condition on your application that you only want it if mother was Catherine - they will not charge if it's the wrong one

BUT - any chance it could have been a niece rather than her own daughter?  You may want to take a chance and get the cert anyway

www.yorkshirebmd.org.uk

Turn up the entry and click on the reference number

On the next page - click on the reference number again and you will be able to print off a ready prepared application form
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline rupiezucki

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 14 November 08 05:03 GMT (UK) »
Brilliant, Carole!!!!

This makes it even more likely - the use of the 'X' spelling, and the birthplace as Leeds ... on Aunty Bea's marriage reg here in Canada, she gave her birthplace as Leeds, and I just assumed (I know ... never assume...) that she said Leeds as that's where her mom was from.

I shall look into getting a birth cert.

It's much easier here in British Columbia - You just go into the archives (providing proper ID and going through strict security) and you can look at everything on microfilm.  You can then print whatever you want for 45 cents per sheet - the charge only goes up if you need a certified copy.

Thanks so much!
Rupie
Scales - Scarborough, Farmany, Ellerburne, Thornton, Pickering; Collier - Atwick, Lund; Lake - Norfolk; Ridley - Durham; Stokoe - Northumberland;
Monkman - Yorkshire; Peacock - Seamer; Umpleby; Cook; Hetherington - Northumberland; Whitwham - Sunderland, Ripon, Grantley; Robinson - Canada, Vancouver; Paton - Scotland, Auchtergaven

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 14 November 08 14:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Ancestry full BMD index is haywire at the moment as I wanted to check all of 1883 to see if there are 2 births listed - one for Isabel Beatrice and the other for Isabel Beatrix.  If I can find one to match the entry then you could order online via the GRO

The freebmd entry I have managed to confirm is definitely Beatrice on the full index but Ancestry is now telling me that there are no images for the surname Yewdall in 1883 - even though I have just viewed one!!
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 14 November 08 14:17 GMT (UK) »
That is surely the same birth.  Otley was in Wharfedale registration district.  The "Leeds" column on YorkshireBMD simply identifies where the registers are now.

I'd expect that the slight variation in the spelling of the name has occurred in the forwarding of the birth details from the local registrar to the national one (or even in the GRO indexing). Mistakes can be made at any stage.

Incidentally there seems to have been a widowed William (Wm.) Yewdall in Otley in 1881 (he's enumerated as 44, born Eccleshill): see www.familysearch.org.  I wonder whether there's any connection.  N.B. The only other BMD events for surname Yewdall in Wharfedale registration district in the 19th century were both connected to his family, namely the deaths of his wife Jane and son David, both in 1875.

Anna
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline Calverley Lad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 14 November 08 21:59 GMT (UK) »
Although not related to this post.
My surname is Yewdall.
I am doing together with others a single name study.
Be aware the Yewdall family name can be very elusive!
Twenty years of searching and still they pop out of the woodwork?
The Otley connection is linked up with the Chippendale family (of mouseman fame).
But sadly can't connect with your Isabel  B.
 Regards Brian
Yewdall/Yewdell/Youdall -Yorkshire

Offline rupiezucki

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 15 November 08 22:03 GMT (UK) »
If we postulate (I am not assuming anymore  ;D) that this is my girl, I still can't find her on an 1891 census.  I have figured out most of the Collier permutations (found one last night as Colliver), but no joy with Yewdall.

Can anyone help with this?

Isabel Beatrix YEWDALL, born 9 Jun 1883, reg Sep 1993 in Wharfedale.  Place of birth given later as Leeds, but yorskhire bmd says Otley.

Thanks in advance.
Rupie

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 15 November 08 22:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Please see my first reply to your original post above

Unfortunately - it's not possible to lookup births in that way.

You will need to buy a copy of the certificate to obtain further info

And this reply from AVM228

That is surely the same birth.  Otley was in Wharfedale registration district.  The "Leeds" column on YorkshireBMD simply identifies where the registers are now.

Offline rupiezucki

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 15 November 08 22:40 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Carole,

I got your info and have a relative who will check out the birth cert for me when he is next there.

What I am trying to do now is find her on an 1891 census.  I have ancestry.com, but she's not there as a Collier, or a Yewdall that I can see.  I am hoping that someone with more experience finding Yewdalls can help with the name permutations.  Ancestry only allows a wildcard after 4 letters, so a seach of Y*dal won't work.

Thanks again,
Rupie