Author Topic: Looking for a birth certficate  (Read 2212 times)

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for a birth certficate
« Reply #18 on: Monday 12 May 14 17:51 BST (UK) »
It may also be that the informant on his death cert didn't know his exact date or year of birth.
That together with the fact that he died so young (as my dad did) would have been an extreme shock to the family and they may not have got his birthdate correct.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jaywit

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I will find them wherever they are hiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 12 May 14 17:56 BST (UK) »
At that time for his death the informant would have been asked if they had his birth certificate, problem is if they said no then the registrar would have to have accepted what they told him about date and place of birth, and therefore they could only say what they knew, if it wasn't correct then there was nothing the registrar could do.
Cross Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Jennings Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Steel Byfield Northants,  Rogers Northants,  Wheeler Oxon,  Roberts Oxon,  Bonham Oxon/ Middleton Cheney Northants,  Maycock Northants,  Abbott Northants , Newman Northants, Buckingham Bucks, Hart Warks, Newth Gloucs.

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jennavon

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 12 May 14 18:16 BST (UK) »
I'll keep this in mind, thank you all! I am on a free trial on Genes Reunited and on his death it does say he was born 8/4/1942 but not where.

Offline jaywit

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 12 May 14 18:27 BST (UK) »
Jenn Like I said that will be the date the person who registered his death told the registrar but without his birth certificate being seen there is no proof it was correct.
Cross Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Jennings Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Steel Byfield Northants,  Rogers Northants,  Wheeler Oxon,  Roberts Oxon,  Bonham Oxon/ Middleton Cheney Northants,  Maycock Northants,  Abbott Northants , Newman Northants, Buckingham Bucks, Hart Warks, Newth Gloucs.

Offline Jennavon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 12 May 14 18:37 BST (UK) »
I think you're right, he had only been with his new partner for a few years both alcoholics and she was the one that did his death certificate, so extremely possible that it is wrong.

I have found a possible person in the 4th qtr in 1942 born in Cheshire. The only one I can find.

His mothers maiden name is Rome but no actual date of birth

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 12 May 14 18:41 BST (UK) »
Be careful that you're not mentioning the names of anyone still alive ,Rootschat do not allow that.

It is likely that his actual birthday is correct,but not neccesarily the year.

People will often say when asked how old a person is,and tell you the age they are due to be that year.My mum was a prime candidate for doing that.Her birthday was at the end of the year but she'd spend all years saying she was xxx,when she wasn't that age till November !

Or of course it is true that he was indeed adopted and therefore a birth will not be registered in the name you knew him as.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jennavon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 12 May 14 19:03 BST (UK) »
This is so confusing, does anyone know how you get hold of adoption certificates?

Offline jaywit

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 12 May 14 19:09 BST (UK) »
You can't get any adoption information. The only person who can is the adopted person their self but once they have died no one can access them.