Author Topic: McMaster  (Read 5408 times)

Offline kathrynbax

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
McMaster
« on: Wednesday 25 August 04 07:57 BST (UK) »
Looking to trace the McMASTER family from Dumfries. David McMASTER born c1785 married Frances Isabella MILLER. No trace of his birth or marriage records have been found.

They left Scotland and were in London from at least 1810 to 1826 where he worked as a carpenter at 21 King Street, Seven Dials. Frances Isabella McMASTER died in c1823 and he remarried a lady called Amelia SANDFORD at the St. Pancras Old Church in 1825. They then became settlers to the Cape Colony, South Africa where he travelled with his 7 children; John, James, David (Born London, 1810), Joseph, Jane, Frances, Susan.

Offline Boongie Pam

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Pa is Scottish, Ma is Welsh, Nose is Roamin'
    • View Profile
Re: McMaster
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 08 September 04 14:20 BST (UK) »
Hiya Kathryn,

Welcome to Rootschat  ;D

How certain are you of the birth year and area for David McMaster?

I ask because I have access to the Dumfries OPR but it is a massive film and takes quite a long time to go through but I'm happy to have a look if you would like?

Cheers,
Pam
 ;D
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
~~~~~~~~~~~

Dumfrieshire: Fallen, Fallon, Carruthers, Scott, Farish, Aitchison, Green, Ryecroft, Thomson, Stewart
Midlothian: Linn/d, Aitken, Martin
North Wales: Robins(on), Hughes, Parry, Jones
Cumberland: Lowther, Young, Steward, Miller
Somerset: Palmer, Cork, Greedy, Clothier

Online intermittently!

Offline kathrynbax

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 02 October 04 13:09 BST (UK) »
Dear Pam

Forgive me for the tardy reply, but I belong to so many mailing lists it takes me a while to remember which ones I haven't visited for a while! :)

I am almost certain of the date as I have his death as per a newspaper obituary as the 31st December 1851 and noting him as being 66 years old. which puts his birthdate at 1785.

I will be forever grateful! This has been a HUGE brick wall for many years.

Regards
Kathryn

Offline kathrynbax

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: McMaster - new info
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 14 October 04 08:42 BST (UK) »
If someone has access to the parish records for Terregles I would appreciate a look-up. I found David McMASTER as coming from Terregles this week.  ;D He was born c1785. He was married to Frances NICHOL and the first 4 children were baptised in Gateshead, County Durham.

Many thanks
Kathryn

Offline Boongie Pam

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 15 October 04 17:49 BST (UK) »
Hiya,

I have access to Dumfriesshire OPR including I think Terregles.  You'll have to forgive my slowness I'm currently in London but should be back home next week when hopefully I'll get to the library.

If anyone gets to this before me - please post!

Cheers,
Pam
 ;D

In not so sunny London!
~~~~~~~~~~~

Dumfrieshire: Fallen, Fallon, Carruthers, Scott, Farish, Aitchison, Green, Ryecroft, Thomson, Stewart

Online intermittently!

Offline Boongie Pam

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 20 October 04 22:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Kathryn,

Well I've been a complete idiot!  I had all the look ups on a sheet and I had your dumfries one on page and the Terregles on the next - I didn't even check if it was the same person.  So after a significant time on the Dumfries OPR I can confirm that there are no McMaster born 1783-1787 & baptised at St Michaels and no marriages between 1807-1812 or in the volume of misplaced entries.  I'm very tenacious and don't give up easy so I kept going trying to find them 2 hrs LOL!!!  Then finally gave up and moved onto the next look up.  I don't know if this is a lesson in "read all the istructions before you start the exam" or "stubbornness is not a virtue".

So to Terregles!

Here you go....

1785 Nov 9th Was baptised David McMaster lawful son to John McMaster at Newton in the parish of Terregles by Mr Kennedy Min'r

No mum named sorry :-(

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Pam
:-)
~~~~~~~~~~~

Online intermittently!

Offline kathrynbax

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 24 October 04 18:15 BST (UK) »
 ;D ;D ;D

Dear Pam

I am thrilled to have an answer - thank you for your tenacity!!! And so sorry that you had to spend 2 hours wasting your time like that. Pity about the lack of the mother's name. We seem to have been a forgotten lot throughout the ages.

I don't suppose - now that you have the right list  :D that there were any siblings for David? If it is not a quick look-up I quite understand if you are reluctant. Time is precious.

Words cannot express my gratitude to you for this information. Many thanks indeed.

Regards
Kathryn
Abu Dhabi

Offline Boongie Pam

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: McMaster - help reading
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 27 October 04 20:41 BST (UK) »
Not too much to report sorry - and I've probably given you a real headache!

Terregles 1st film is referenced 880/1 and it covers 1724 to 1820 but there are gaps, primarily between 1740s to 1777.

I scrolled through most of the film though the early bits are difficult to read this one popped out...

Alexr McMaster had a child baptised his name Alexr

Also found...

1789 30th Nov
Was baptised John McMaster lawful son to James McMaster weaver at Haw-thorn in the parish of Terregeles by Mr Kennedy Min'r

After this point the records just become a list of children's names.

One of them being...

John McMaster at College baptised 21st Mar 1793

I had a look at Marriages but they don't start until 1792.

Lastly the deaths.  There is one of interest but frustratingly I can't read the name - so I copied the page, the people here seem very good at reading old writing so I amended the subject line to get their attention.

I didn't see anymore McMasters.

All the best,
Pam
 ;D
~~~~~~~~~~~

Online intermittently!

Offline kathrynbax

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 30 October 04 17:17 BST (UK) »
Dear Pam

Many thanks for your time in trawling and for the wonderful, albeit , frustrating piece of parish record. What skimpy entries they are!

As a teacher I have had years of practice in reading dreadful handwriting  :D but still cannot fathom the importants bits. However, I think this is what it says:

Robert Edgar Farmer at College head died in _____________ 1801. Mrs. Crocket South Mary Holm and Wm Bell died in Nov 1801. Tibbly Buck (?) Newbridge & Mary Took (?) mother at Do. & John McMasters wife Jardington & Kenneth McKenzie Barnhill all died about the beginning of winter 1801. ___ Baillie Smith about ___ end of 1800.

What do you think?

Now BIG question. Did John McMaster's wife die in Jardington or does this record indicate that she came from Jardington?

I think I am giving you the headache :-\!

Regards
Kathryn