Author Topic: NSW BDM online UPGRADE June 2014  (Read 21445 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
NSW BDM online UPGRADE June 2014
« on: Sunday 22 June 14 22:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Everyone,

Today is the first day of the "new" online features  ;D  ;D  ;D

Just looking for some tips re the "new" and "improved" online search option at NSW BDM.....  I can see there's an option "PDF availability"  but errrr ..... it is not yet working for me  :)    I have used known ancestors in all the decades since 1787, and I am still to figure out how the new search options function.....

Likely I am having senior moments,  or possibly there are still some teething problems .....  but I cannot find any of my 18th century or my 19th century ancestors UNLESS I give the exact year  ::)  ::)  ::) .....  or I cite the NSW BDM reference no.   (Excuse me please, but if I know the NSW BDM reference no., then surely I could be holding the document or an official transcription already so why would I be using the search options ???? )

Fingers crossed there's RChatters who can figure out WOT'S WOT with the new search options and post some tips please.

https://lifelink.bdm.nsw.gov.au/lifelink/familyhistory/search?8

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: NSW BDM online UPGRADE June 2014
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 22 June 14 23:05 BST (UK) »
 :)

An older rellie (retired BDM officer) has phoned me to say "Search options include Date of Event Options" take the YES option  ;D and you can drill down to the exact date, similar to Qld BDM

::)  ::)  ::)  Older rellie must have phoned his Old Boys network  ::)

More tips please

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 22 June 14 23:07 BST (UK) »
JM
I do not see any new online features at all ::).
The home page looks exactly as it did yesterday including the red writing about what is and is not available and that the normal services will resume on (today)

What am I doing wrong?

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 22 June 14 23:17 BST (UK) »
https://lifelink.bdm.nsw.gov.au/lifelink/familyhistory/search?74  .... it is hidden away somewhat .... you need to click the heading  Search the Family History records which brings you to
http://www.bdm.nsw.gov.au/bdm_fh.html

Cheers,  JM

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 22 June 14 23:28 BST (UK) »
So in the instances where I know the registration number, but perhaps I want to confirm the details, so say I want to verify some other researcher's post but I do NOT know the exact spelling of the surname/s of the person/s of interest as recorded on the BDM document  ....

Well, there's still NO option for variations in the spelling of the surname .... and although there's the option to enter the registration number,/ year  errrr .... IF I only know the registration number and year, then I cannot proceed as the system keeps asking me to respond with additional information

"Either Family Name or First Given Name/Other Given Name(s) field must be entered"

and "Please enter a valid date"

I have NOT yet checked the Early Church Records  ::)

Cheers,  JM

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 22 June 14 23:32 BST (UK) »
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=533908.0    They promised so much when I was speaking to their Senior Executive Unit Manager back then :)

Cheers,  JM

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 23 June 14 00:27 BST (UK) »
Early Church Records ..... ummmmm..... I am lost for polite words .... these are no longer given their Volume references, so the "V" is no longer a way of noticing the difference between the Early Church Records and the formal compulsory civil registrations.... so

Early Church Records date from when those events were recorded in their respective Parish Registers in the decades BEFORE the NSW BDM was instituted (it commenced in 1856 !).    So NSW BDM's reference numbers suggest (at least to me) that their employees will not longer EVER know (from looking at the reference nos) that the Early Church Records ARE NOT civil registrations.

I know that many reading this thread will perhaps mutter "JM is being PEDANTIC yet again" .... And, yes I am. And I make NO apology for this.   

There is a huge difference between a registration of a civil "birth" and an entry in the NSW Chaplains' registers of " baptisms".    The civil birth registration held by NSW BDM would have been recorded in the NSW BDM's registers at the time of that event.   The Early Church Records were not handed over to the NSW BDM  at the time they were recorded as the NSW BDM did not exist at that point in time.   So, the Early Church Records that were eventually handed over to NSW BDM came into the NSW BDM long after they were recorded.  There's plenty of well researched references to show that the Early Church Records of say baptisms that the NSW BDM holds do not always show the actual date of birth of the person being baptised.   They may have been baptised as an adult, or the NSW Chaplains may have recorded a summary transmitted record from the original parish register which was not available to NSW BDM when the index was initially prepared in the 1930s.   

The upgrade seems to have expunged some details ....

For example, the family name heading no longer has "Aborigine" or "Aboriginal", which of course were the words used by the clergy when recording baptisms in the pre-civil registration era (so from say 1787 to say 1856, often in the Macquarie era 1810-1821).  The previous online version included these.   Those Church Records that formed the basis of the index do NOT have surnames for ANY of the persons of interest, regardless of their ethnicity.  So the surname was UNSTATED for the actual person being baptised.  The surname of the mother was stated, and if the mother gave the clergy the name of the child's father, then that too was stated (and in NSW during the Macquarie era, this was recorded regardless of whether the parents were lawfully married to each other or not).  So in that sense, the NSW BDM  heading "family name" is a 20th Century expression.   So instead of INCLUDING all the available information from the previous online indexes, they have EXCLUDED some, perhaps on some "politically correct" grounds.

At the moment I am trying to duplicate "Age" as a result (sometimes it WAS findable under "mother's given name")

On a positive note, I can confirm that the exact date for my parents' marriage is findable and  ::) matches the certificate info I hold  ::)  (To find it on the online search thingy this morning) I included  the reference number, (including the year) and the surnames of both my parents

Cheers,  JM       

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 23 June 14 00:41 BST (UK) »
Well JM,
You are leaps and bounds ahead of me in making the thing work at all. :P
I will need to go back to university I think.

In the meantime, the NSW bdm administrators will need advising of the tragic shortfalls of the new system which you have noted to date.

The issue of the church record details is of major concern.

We must, when searching, be quickly able to discern a civil registration from a Church record because they are not the same thing at all and the lack of differentiation will only be a source of great confusion.

Sue

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 23 June 14 00:45 BST (UK) »
At the moment I am trying to duplicate "Age" as a result (sometimes it WAS findable under "mother's given name")

So, using 'SMITH' , a popular "Family Name"  I can see that "Age" still comes up under "Mother's Given Name(s) and "Died at" still comes up under "Father's Given Name(s) when the index does not have the 'actual' given names for Mother or Father of the deceased.

Cheers,  JM