Author Topic: Swedish Rellies  (Read 3932 times)

Offline BlueFire

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Swedish Rellies
« on: Monday 18 August 14 08:06 BST (UK) »
How do you search for ancestors that come from Sweden? I have thought to try and look into it, but multiple people have searched for the same person on ancestry.com and the only good lead we have is the info on the Australian wedding cert. Should I just leave it at that? If it was easy then others would have figured it out. ??? I have looked at a number of sites and if they change their names when they emigrate, then how do you identify them?

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
Re: Swedish Rellies
« Reply #1 on: Monday 18 August 14 08:53 BST (UK) »
Hi BlueFire,
You will need to know where they came from in Sweden. A town or parish is ideal, but at least a county will help in your search. That way the name changes aren't such a problem. Do you have birth dates or ages, parents' names?
Ancestry is not too bad for Swedish ancestry, but I've found Arkivdigital to be the best. Obviously getting around the records in Swedish helps too.  :)
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 18 August 14 08:56 BST (UK) »
I almost forgot. If your ancestor came out to Australia, chances are he or she became naturalised. If so, there will be a record in the National Archives. You might be able to view it online as well.
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline jamcat95

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 18 August 14 10:04 BST (UK) »
Hi BlueFire

If you can give the names of parents on the wedding certificate and, or if the name of town is recorded too, I can try to find them here in Sweden. It would be handy if you know the time of emigration too.
Even better if you could post the certificate for us to look at it.

Regards Ian

Offline BlueFire

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 19 August 14 07:08 BST (UK) »
I have not found an emigration, naturalization or probate record. The name he used when he got married was John William Blom, but he seemed to go by William. He was born in Piery Sweden abt 1840 to Alick Blom and Annie Asblom. He married in 1870 in Australia. So I wondered if other family came out with him, did he have brothers and sisters? :)

Offline jamcat95

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 19 August 14 08:27 BST (UK) »
I really need to see the actual certificate to try to make out the place of birth. Is that possible?

Ian

Offline BlueFire

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 19 August 14 09:03 BST (UK) »
The more I look at it, the "P" looks a lot like the "O" in October. ???

Offline jamcat95

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 19 August 14 09:22 BST (UK) »
Thanks.
Can I also see the names of his parents.

Cheers Ian

Offline BlueFire

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 19 August 14 09:37 BST (UK) »
Having trouble uploading. Try again.