Author Topic: marriage in Porthmadog  (Read 3401 times)

Offline EmyrBorth

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: marriage in Porthmadog
« Reply #9 on: Friday 18 April 14 14:24 BST (UK) »
Hi
GPM Gogledd Cymru/North Wales BMD gives gives location of wedding as Ynyscynhaearn, Cynhaearn Sant, so I would assume the old Parish Church, near Pentrefelin. (As a matter of interest this church will be open to the public from 1.30 to 4.30 on Easter Day, April 20. Treasure Hunt for youngsters and English translation of 'Y Gestiana', history of the parishes of Ynyscynhaiarn and Treflys, for sale. Three quarter of a mile track from main road to Church, limited parking, or nice walk thro' open countryside.) St. Ioan (John), Porthmadog, later became the Parish Church; don't remember when, but probably mid nineteenth century or later. A cousin of mine was married there in1939, and GPM Gogledd Cymru gives location as Porthmadog, Sant Ioan.
When looking up Parish Registers for Ynyscynhaearn at Caernarvon Archives, one has to be careful, as there are Registers which are abstracts from original registers which cover part of the Parish. I find the catalogue of Registers a bit confusing, and have on more than one occasion requested the wrong register.
The 1837 wedding; witnesses were Richard Griffith and Ann Owen.
Emyr

Offline EmyrBorth

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 18 April 14 14:31 BST (UK) »
Hi
Ooops, slipped up again !
Quoted wrong witnesses for 1837 wedding; should read:
Robert Ellis and John Williams.
Emyr

Offline ger1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 18 April 14 16:39 BST (UK) »
Diolch Emyr thats great. my next objective is to try and find John Roberts birth certificate from either 1862 or 1863. Came across 2 which matched in Porthmadog and one In Llnafrothen but starting to think now if I should be searching further towards Ynyscynhaiarn?