Author Topic: Elizabeth Jane GOVER - 1861 census lookup  (Read 1219 times)

Offline davidpinkney

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Margaret Richardson (nee Robinson)
    • View Profile
Elizabeth Jane GOVER - 1861 census lookup
« on: Wednesday 25 October 06 18:27 BST (UK) »
Am looking for Elizabeth on the 1861 census, hopefully with father John whom i have no details of. Elizabeth was born 15/12/1853 in Fareham, Hampshire. In 1871 she was working as a servant in Bridgefoot, Fareham and by 1881 she was married to Edmund Hibberd and was living in West Ham, Essex.

Many thanks

David
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><br /><br /><br />Swansea (Glamorgan) - Reynish/Johnson<br />Yorkshire/Durham - Pinkney/Richardson/Robinson/Gill<br />Wiltshire - Hibberd<br />London/Surrey - Clark<br />Lincolnshire/Nottinghamshire - Spencer, Broughton, Sprigg, Martin<br />Cornwall - Sowden<br />Herefordshire/Shropshire/Wales - Worrall<br />Essex - Saville<br />Dorset - Atkins, Govier<br />Devon - Wakely, Parsons

Offline Tati

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Ephraim's daughter to infinity & beyond
    • View Profile
Re: Elizabeth Jane Gover - 1861 census lookup
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 25 October 06 18:40 BST (UK) »
Hi David,

I am not too positive about this but the nearest I see is:

RG9/649 115A 30
Fareham, Hampshire
Clarks Building

Mary A Gover*, head, wid, 65, Housekeeper, b. Surrey Guildford
Elizabeth, granddau, 7, scholar, b. Fareham

*If you want it to read Gover then it does.  :P

Going back to 1851, Mary ann's name is quite clearly Gover   :D
 "My dear, I think the English pronounce it 'appiness"  

I'm afraid of no ghost

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Tati

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Ephraim's daughter to infinity & beyond
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 25 October 06 18:59 BST (UK) »
Now I don't think she had a son John however  ::)
Back in 1851, she has a neighbour Mary Gover, an unmarried mother. In 1841, in Fareham workhouse, there's Mary A age 40, Mary age 15 and William age 5...

"My dear, I think the English pronounce it 'appiness"  

I'm afraid of no ghost

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline davidpinkney

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 25 October 06 19:27 BST (UK) »
It does look like Gover to me, the writing is very tight and overlaps the line. I'll have to use the Mary A Gover and search for more info on her to confirm the John connection. Hope it is as its another generation again! Many thanks

David
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><br /><br /><br />Swansea (Glamorgan) - Reynish/Johnson<br />Yorkshire/Durham - Pinkney/Richardson/Robinson/Gill<br />Wiltshire - Hibberd<br />London/Surrey - Clark<br />Lincolnshire/Nottinghamshire - Spencer, Broughton, Sprigg, Martin<br />Cornwall - Sowden<br />Herefordshire/Shropshire/Wales - Worrall<br />Essex - Saville<br />Dorset - Atkins, Govier<br />Devon - Wakely, Parsons

Offline davidpinkney

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 25 October 06 20:20 BST (UK) »
Mary A Gover died 1866 in Fareham so can't follow her any further.

Have followed James from census through to 1891 - doesn't marry and no connected family.

Can't find anything possitive on William from 1851 census.

IGI have William Gover born to Mary Ann Gover (christened 28/3/1837)
and James Gover born to Mary Gover (christened 14/4/1844)

There are children on IGI born Fareham to John Gover and Mary Ann Gover in the 1820's which could be children of the Mary Ann born c.1797 who was widowed in 1851 census. There is a marriage of John Gover to Mary Ann Wyatt in 1823. Perhaps Elizabeth Jane Gover was illegitimate and the John Gover as father came from her grandfather's name (clutching at straws here) The name John as her father i believe comes from her marriage cert (all details i have are sketchy and from my uncle's research, i need to get certs to confirm any more)

Thanks again

David