Author Topic: Earl of Derwenter, Devil's Water, Northumberland  (Read 9619 times)

Offline irret

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Earl of Derwenter, Devil's Water, Northumberland
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 26 October 05 16:37 BST (UK) »
This is strange... Mary Tudor Radcliffe
born6 Oct  1677 !!!! Westminster
Death 1756
Parents Edward Radcliffe-Mary Tudor
William Walker Glasgow<br />Pattison Northumberland<br />Pallent Suffolk<br /><br />This information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jessiesky5

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 05 May 11 06:04 BST (UK) »
my grandmother has always told me that we where related to charles radcliffe of derentwater

Offline lazytee

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 05 May 11 10:08 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone!

There is a very good book about the life of James Radcliffe, 3rd Earl of Derwentwater, which includes information about his brother Charles.  The book is:  "Northern Lights: the story of Lord Derwentwater".  It is by Ralph Arnold, first published in 1959.  The copy I have was published by the Catholic Book Club.

It does not seem to be available in the regular retail outlets.  I got mine online from a second hand book supplier.

I bought it because some of my ancestors lived near Dilston in the early 18th century.  I found it a very good read.

Good Luck in finding a copy!

Lazytee

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 06 May 11 20:17 BST (UK) »
Amazon has 6 copies of the book and abebooks 8 copies for sale, second hand fromn £5.50 to more than £30
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline Mr J T Arthur

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 07 May 11 20:37 BST (UK) »
'Devil Water' by Anya Seton published in 1962 includes a Radcliffe family tree.

In 1868 an elderly descendant who styled herself Amelia, Countess of Derwentwater with a retinue of servants attempted to occupy the ruin of Dilston Old Castle claiming she was acting under advice of her legal advisers but was eventually ejected and encamped on the highway opposite the ruin for several days.

On October 1874 the remains of the Derwentwater (Radclffe) family were removed from the vaults of Dilston Chapel. The remains of James, 3rd Earl of Derwentside who was beheaded in 1716 were removed by rail to Thorton, Essex, there to be re-interred in the family vault of Lord Petre. The remains of the others were interred in the Catholic burying ground at Hexham.

J.T.A.

Offline pb3

• RootsChat Member
  • 'Always look on the bright side...'
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 08 May 11 20:36 BST (UK) »
          There's an interesting article on the Countess of Derwentwater in the Northumbrian Magazine which you can see here:- http://www.thenorthumbrian.co.uk/features/80/countess-amelias-battle-for-dilston.html

There are three Radcliffe burials in Blackhill cemetery, one of which is Countess Amelia. I've attached a PDF of these burial records.

PatB

Offline Mr J T Arthur

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 08 May 11 21:15 BST (UK) »
Yes I have that and some more. She is in the 1861 census as Lady Matilda Radcliffe (Amelia appears to have been deleted and Matilda entered above it) occupation fundholder having staked her claim as early as 1857 at the age of about 25 so if she made it all up she must have been very clever with a well educated wealthy background.

J.T.A.

Offline Gen List Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Jane ANDERSON nee DODD, 2 x g grandmother.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 09 May 11 05:20 BST (UK) »
Online is the full text of "History of Northumberland" at

http://www.archive.org/stream/historyofnorthum10nort/historyofnorthum10nort_djvu.txt

If you do a search for Radcliffe in the text, you get over 350 hits. There is amongst them a pedigree of the Radcliffes drawn up by the noted historian Hodgson. Have fun!

Gen in NBL England
UK - Northumberland, County Durham: ANDERSON,   DODD(S), EDWARDS, ELLIOTT/ELLET, FENWICK, GREY/GRAY, HINDMARCH and variants, JORDAN, MOORE, MURRAY, RIPPON, RODDHAM, RYDER-TURNER, SPARK(E)(S), STEWART, TILLEY, TIPLADY, WATSON,
Sheffield: TURNER
Middlesex: RYDER
<br />Aberdeenshire: EDWARDS, BRODIE<br />Angus STEWART, DIXON, PETRIE

Offline MelissaRamey

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 12 April 16 22:01 BST (UK) »
While researching my mother's lineage I came upon Jane Radclyffe and Robert 'Rob' Ratliff/ Wilson in Virginia. If my research is correct, I am a direct descendant. They had a son, William Reuben who married Elizabeth Harrison. They had a son, John Ratliff who married Charlotte White. Their son Richard married Sarah Childress, and their son Thompson married Elizabeth Powell. Their son Alderson married Vicie Roberts. Their son Davis Dow Ratliff married Hattie Ratliff. Their son George married Vivian Harkins and had my mother, Dorothy.