Author Topic: Fleurriet - Spitalfields/Bethnal Green  (Read 9460 times)

Offline richarde1979

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Fleurriet - Spitalfields/Bethnal Green
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 02 March 13 21:11 GMT (UK) »
Hello Steve

I could not find a baptism for Titus either, but he is living in Pelham Street in the earliest tax records, which is where Pierre is in the early 1700's, and Richard Fleurriet's French Hospital record describes him as 'son of Titus Fleurriet, grand son of [blank] Fleurriet, whose father was a native of Dieppe in Normandy'. The will of Pierre Fleurriet from 1761 confirms Titus was a grandson of his, he leaves him a couple of bequests (Can send a copy of this if you don't have it?).

Unfortunately the will does not state which of his sons Pierre, David, or Jean was Titus's father, but possibly Pierre can be ruled out, as his will from the 1780's leaves everything to a single married daughter, which does not suggest sons. Personally I think Jean/John, is the most likely candidate, as two of his other children 'Philemon' and 'Jean Maximillian' had unusual names for the Huguenot community who tended to favour the old testament prophets or the more standard French saint names. Philemon/Maximillian/Titus all unusual and have obviously classical overtones.

Searching around on the internet throws up this for him a burglary at his home in Spitalfields. Not sure if you've seen it. Doesn't help much with his family details but interesting all the same!

http://www.londonlives.org/browse.jsp?id=t17920329-40-victim446&div=t17920329-40#highlight

Regards

Richard
Bellenger, Sebire, Soubien, Mallandain, Molle, Baudoin - Normandy/London
Deverdun, Bachelier, Hannoteau, Martin, Ledoux, Dumoutier, Lespine, Montenont, Picard, Desmarets - Paris & Picardy/Amsterdam/London
Mourgue, Chambon, Chabot - Languedoc/London

Holohan, Donnelly, McGowan/McGoan - Leitrim, Ireland/Dundee, Scotland/London.

Gordon, Troup, Grant, Watt, McInnes - Aberdeenshire, Scotland/London

Offline Emmeline

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Emma Louisa Tricker (1885-1958)
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 02 March 13 23:31 GMT (UK) »
Hello Richard

Like Jumperman I am thrilled with the information you have given us re Fleurriet and Fleuriot

families. Gold dust indeed.

I was aware of Peter's naturalisation and a few other snippets - I had not been able to find much

about his sisters Judith Monden ( thank you for marriage details )  and Magdalen LeNeve so thanks again.

You have made one or two Rootchatters more than happy with what you have been able to tell

us. :) :)

Offline richarde1979

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 03 March 13 09:40 GMT (UK) »
Hello Emmeline

No problem at all, glad the information is of interest.

Also found this yesterday, a reference to Pierre's sister Judith on a French website:

http://guy.jacobs.pagesperso-orange.fr/protestants/protestants.htm

"Daniel Maudion, hat maker, married to Judith Fleuriot, five children, two of which are absent, their son Jeremie, aged 10, dissapeared, and was recaptured having escaped his guard, to wit Monsieur de Grainville,  who had been charged with his confinement."

That's my translation, though my French isn't perfect! Protestant children could be forcibly taken into the charge of the local authorities under the various laws passed by Louis XIV for Catholic education, so that may have been the case with Jeremie.
Bellenger, Sebire, Soubien, Mallandain, Molle, Baudoin - Normandy/London
Deverdun, Bachelier, Hannoteau, Martin, Ledoux, Dumoutier, Lespine, Montenont, Picard, Desmarets - Paris & Picardy/Amsterdam/London
Mourgue, Chambon, Chabot - Languedoc/London

Holohan, Donnelly, McGowan/McGoan - Leitrim, Ireland/Dundee, Scotland/London.

Gordon, Troup, Grant, Watt, McInnes - Aberdeenshire, Scotland/London

Offline Jumperman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 03 March 13 14:01 GMT (UK) »
Hello Steve

I could not find a baptism for Titus either, but he is living in Pelham Street in the earliest tax records, which is where Pierre is in the early 1700's, and Richard Fleurriet's French Hospital record describes him as 'son of Titus Fleurriet, grand son of [blank] Fleurriet, whose father was a native of Dieppe in Normandy'. The will of Pierre Fleurriet from 1761 confirms Titus was a grandson of his, he leaves him a couple of bequests (Can send a copy of this if you don't have it?).

Unfortunately the will does not state which of his sons Pierre, David, or Jean was Titus's father, but possibly Pierre can be ruled out, as his will from the 1780's leaves everything to a single married daughter, which does not suggest sons. Personally I think Jean/John, is the most likely candidate, as two of his other children 'Philemon' and 'Jean Maximillian' had unusual names for the Huguenot community who tended to favour the old testament prophets or the more standard French saint names. Philemon/Maximillian/Titus all unusual and have obviously classical overtones.

Searching around on the internet throws up this for him a burglary at his home in Spitalfields. Not sure if you've seen it. Doesn't help much with his family details but interesting all the same!

http://www.londonlives.org/browse.jsp?id=t17920329-40-victim446&div=t17920329-40#highlight

Regards

Richard

Thanks again Richard and for the link, which is new to me !

I had Titus in Spital Street (1773 tax records), which was the earliest I could find.

The hospital record was a little frustrating, having the father's first name missing, but all those little clues do point to Jean/John as you say.

Thanks so much

Steve
Linsell - Weathersfield,Clavering,Bocking(Essex)London
Rothwell - Halifax,Rochdale,York
Tomlinson - Hull,Beverley
Eshelby - Halifax,Rathmell
Fleurriet - Spitalfields,Bethnal Green
Warman - Norfolk,Leeds
Rust - Swaffham (Norfolk)
Oliver - Spitalfields,Bethnal Green
Leslie - Bethnal Green

Offline Emmeline

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Emma Louisa Tricker (1885-1958)
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 04 March 13 08:23 GMT (UK) »
Hello again Richard

Thank you for the French web-site and the futher interesting information on Judith Fleuriot/Monden and family.

Much appreciated -  as is your translation.  :)

Offline chasbaz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 05 March 13 22:40 GMT (UK) »
Looking for Fleureau in my book (Baillie, and Loomes) I do see an Esaye (or Isaac) Fleureau, London from Orleans, mar. 1694-1703 also Jacques his son b. 1703.  Esaye also has a watch c. 1710 in the NY University collection and a longcase clock in the Wetherfield collection, sold in 1928.  There is also a watch by Peter F., London 1776
Bazalgette, but mainly not FH information.
Has written a biography of Jean Louis Bazalgette - "Prinny's Taylor"

Offline lb.guin

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 06 September 13 11:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Jumperman
I see you're still digging up Fleurriets!
We corresponded some years ago about the Barretts, Joseph Barrett married Harriet Fleurriet.
I read a great book about Spitalfields recently and it rekindled my interest.
Did you ever get any further info on that Barrett line?
I never managed to get back past Joseph's father Samuel, and don't even know where he came from or what happened to him. Joseph was apprenticed to a calico block print cutter in Mitcham (1802) so they may have been from Surrey rather than the East End.
Anyway, any info you have would be gratefully received.

Check out :
"Spitalfields Life: In the Midst of Life I Woke to Find Myself Living in an Old House Beside Brick Lane in the East End of London."
Really gives a feel for the place.

Cheers
Liam

Offline bufkin

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 11 February 19 22:31 GMT (UK) »
Hello Steve, Richard and Emmeline,

I realize this post is some years old now, are you all still researching the Fleurriets? I am also from the Pierre Fleurriet and Rachel Le Heupe family. Their son Pierre/Peter (Jean/John's brother) married Esther Atwell and they were my 6th great grandparents. In my tree, Pierre and Jean's other siblings are Marthe, David and Anne. It seems to me that if the first daughter was named Marthe, there's a great chance that Pierre Sr's mother was in fact Marthe le Grand. Has anyone found proof of this?

I'm also curious if anyone has done research on the Le Heupe family? I've found sources online that list the Fleurriet/Fleuriet/Fleuriot and Le Heupe surnames as Huguenots in Spitalfields. In Pierre's Will, there was listed an Edward Le Heupe; I wonder if this was Rachel's brother? I have also seen suggestions that a David Leheup was Rachel's father, which could make sense, being that Pierre and Rachel's first son was named David. But I haven't seen any solid evidence of this.

I'm eager to learn any info beyond what I have for Pierre and Rachel, so any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Best,
Courtney
(Dieppe, Normandy, France and Spitalfields, England) Fleurriet, Le Heup, Atwell; (England) Ernst, Holmes, Farrer, Sawrey, Tewart, Coles, Massey, Nightingale, Hollinsworth, Griffiths, Crockford; (Scotland) Todd, Smeaton, Drummond, Dawes; (Ireland) Newell, Gordon, Grimes, Hillis, Cunningham, Boyles, O'Riley, Giles; (Isle of Man) Quiggin (United States) Clifton, Burleson, Bowers, Standiford, Foster, Haslet, Fogle- Germany?, Hollingshead, Thomas, Bone

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 12 February 19 10:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi Courtney

Welcome to Rootschat  ;D

Some of the previous contributors to this topic are still active on here so should receive a notification that you have posted and hopefully come back soon.

Dawn
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea