Author Topic: Morayshire census 1851 & 1861  (Read 2726 times)

Offline torrygirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Morayshire census 1851 & 1861
« on: Wednesday 26 October 05 15:23 BST (UK) »
Is there anyone out there who is able to look up the Morayshire census 1851 & 1861 for the family of William Falconer - born April 12 1812, wife Isabella and 6 children - one of whom is Jane, born 1850? - she is my great grandmother and am unable to find her dob and where she was born anywhere.  I believe the family lived either in Duffus, Edinkillie or Hopeman,  Thanks    Torrygirl

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Morayshire census 1851 & 1861
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 29 October 05 18:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Torrygirl

It so happens that I have the 1851 census entry for this family - your Jane's brother William married a distant relative of mine, Jane Stephen.

1851 census, Garvally, Edinkillie
William Falconer/head/mar/37/farm manager/Duffus
Isabella Falconer/wife/mar/35/Duffus
Margaret Falconer/dau/unm/8/scholar/Elgin
William Falconer/son/unm/4/scholar/Edinkillie
Jane Falconer/dau/unm/1/Edinkillie

I also have a note which reads as follows: "William's birth is not listed in the IGI. However the marriage of William Falconer on 27 December 1838 is recorded in both Duffus and Elgin. Five children are listed: Mary, baptised Elgin 27 March 1840; Margaret, baptised Elgin 17 June 1842; James, baptised Edinkillie 12 April 1845; Alexander, baptised Edinkillie 24 November 1851; George, born Edinkillie 12 February 1855. On the other hand, the entry for Isabella Walker or Falconer (NM43420) in the Elgin Library index says that Isabella Walker, baptised Duffus 26 May 1814, daughter of James Walker and Mary Walker and wife of William Falconer, Thoms Street, Hopeman, died in Hopeman on 3 February 1892, and that she is the mother of Alexander, Margaret, James, George and Mary - no mention of a William." Also, I note, no Jane in this mention.

On his marriage certificate in 1884 William gave his address as Kansas City,USA. I have so far failed to find any trace of William Falconer in the 1880 US census, the 1881 UK census, or the 1881 Canadian census, and I have no information about him or his wife after their marriage.

If this is your family, I recommend very strongly that you get a copy of George Falconer's 1855 birth certificate from www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk. 1855 certificates are a mine of information, much better than any year before or since.

I don't have the family in 1861 or 1871 but both these censuses are also online at www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

HTH

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.