Author Topic: Royal Horse Artillery, Crimea  (Read 4282 times)

Offline chelsen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Royal Horse Artillery, Crimea
« on: Sunday 13 November 05 22:24 GMT (UK) »
My Gt Gt Grandfather James Magee served in India. He was married in Secunderabad in 1864 and his daughter Annie was born in 1868 or 1869. I think he died in 1868, possibly before she was born.
On his daughter's marriage certificate he is described as being a Quarter Master Sergeant in the RHA. I am trying to find out whether he could have served with the RHA in the Crimea as he doesn't seem to appear on 1851 or 1861 censuses.
Could anyone tell me if the RHA saw active service in the Crimea and if so how can I found out if my ancester served with them there.
I would be grateful for any help.
Panton, Webley, Hinton, O'Connell, Magee, White, Huish, Meek, Wootten and Parslow amongst others

Offline liverpool annie

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Royal Horse Artillery, Crimea
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 13 November 05 22:43 GMT (UK) »

Hi Chelsen!!

Do you happen to know which Battalion or brigade he was in?  as you can see - theres quite a few!! I would think he would probably be involved with the Indian Mutiny

In 1859 the companies ceased to be organised into battalions, and were brigaded instead, at the same time being referred to as batteries instead of companies. In 1861 after the Indian Mutiny the Royal Artillery received the addition of 21 troops of Horse Artillery and 48 batteries from the three Indian Presidencies, and so now comprised 29 RHA batteries, 73 field batteries, and 88 garrison batteries.

Annie  :)
Cooper : Muels : Howarth : Every : Price : King

http://web.archive.org/web/20130407030702/http://www.freewebs.com/liverpoolannie

http://web.archive.org/web/20130407191115/http://manchestersoldiers.webs.com

http://web.archive.org/web/20130807102055/http://www.powv.webs.com/
Be who you are and say what you feel -  because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind ! Dr. Seuss

Erect no gravestone .... let the Rose every year bloom for his sake ! Rilke Sonnets to Orpheus, I

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 13 November 05 22:51 GMT (UK) »
C-Battery of the RHA supported the successful charge of the Heavy Brigade at Balaclava in the Crimean War and claims to have been influencial in that success.  (As distinct from the fatal charge of the light brigade)  Do you know which battery your g.g.grandfather served in?

David
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MarMnkly

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Always looking back
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 13 November 05 23:02 GMT (UK) »
I found the the following 'James Magee' but he is a 'gunner and driver' in the Royal Artillery ?

The Times, Monday, Aug 25, 1856; pg. 7; Issue 22455; col A
The French Military Medal.
Category: Official Appointments and Notices

"The Moniteur of yesterday publishes the subjoined list of English soldiers upon whom the French military medal has been conferred for distinguished service in the Crimea;-
Royal Artillery
James Magee, gunner and driver

best wishes
Margaret :)
Surname Interests
Massey, Munkley, Powell, Thompson, Thurkettle

Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline chelsen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 14 November 05 14:35 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks to all those who have replied to my query about James Magee, RHA.
To answer Annie and David I have the original marriage certificate on which is written his details.  It is very delapidated and someone has stuck it together with very old (pre-selotape era) sticky tape, making it very difficult read.  It definitely says Quarter Master Sergeant - then it looks like B P, then what could be an S, or J, or even C then Bt, followed by R H A.

Thanks to Margaret for the French Military Medal info. It is possibly he was promoted to Quarter Master Sergeant after arriving in India and may well have been a gunner & driver whilst serving in the Crimea. What would he be driving? Perhaps a horsedrawn gun carriage?
I have no idea where he was born, possibly in Northern Ireland but there are a lot of Magee's in the North East of England.  I think the only way I am going to find these details is at the British Library. I would love to know if he was killed in action or died of natural causes - again I expect these details will have to be researched at the BL.

If anyone can make sense of the lettering on the marriage certificate I would be grateful.

Carole
Panton, Webley, Hinton, O'Connell, Magee, White, Huish, Meek, Wootten and Parslow amongst others

Offline manmack

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 14 November 05 15:03 GMT (UK) »
chelsen,most of the batts/regts that served in the crimea were sent to india to reinforce the army during the indian mutiny,the james magee that margaret found could be him,its possible he may have been promoted later and went on to serve in the RHA,there are crimean war medal rolls that will confirm if he was there and there are the indian general service medal rolls,plus the indian mutiny medal rolls,all these are available from the inter library loan scheme,and they can be found at the N/A,mack
military history,mainly ww1,manchester pals battalions,tyneside irish +tyneside scottish brigades,leeds,liverpool,accrington,birmingham,hull,barnsley,swansea and salford pals.

Offline chelsen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 14 November 05 15:44 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Mack, I live quite near the NA, so will try to get there soon.

Offline yachty

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 01 December 06 10:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi Chelsen
The James Magee which MarMnkly found mentioned in the French Military Medal list from the Crimean War is my gr.grandfather. He married Mary Anne Shee in 1858. They came to New Zealand in 1861 with the Royal Artillery to fight in the Land Wars. After his discharge in 1866 he settled in New Zealand.

Offline chelsen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 01 December 06 14:36 GMT (UK) »
Dear Yachty

Thank you for that clarification.  It is obviously not my James Magee as he was killed (or died) in India in about 1868.  At least I now know I was "barking up the wrong tree" as they say and won't waste any more time pursuing the James Magee.

Carole