Author Topic: Charles Symon & Isobel Smith, Kirriemuir  (Read 4490 times)

Offline Lady Macbeth

• 1965-2013
  • Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Charles Symon & Isobel Smith, Kirriemuir
« on: Wednesday 01 September 04 11:31 BST (UK) »
Hi All,
We have now managed to confirm that our Charles Symon (m Margaret Duncan) was born (illegt) in 1797 in Kirriemuir to Charles Symon and Isobel Smith.

Charles and Isobel don't appear to have married and we can find no other children.

If anyone can shed any light on either or both or these parents (Charles senior could have been born anywhere in Angus or Perthshire), or has a Symon/s (Simons etc) anywhere in Angus or Perthshire that might be connected we would be happy to hear from you.  ;D

Thanks
Lesley
Gegan, Geoghegan, Gagan, or any variation whatsoever in Ireland (particularly Co Offaly/Kings Co) and Scotland;
Symons and Symon in Angus, Perthshire and Aberdeenshire, Scotland;
McKenna in Ireland and Scotland;
Wilkie in Kincardine and Angus, Scotland

Offline Ticker

• User is no longer receiving email notifications.
  • RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Follow me on twitter @ShaunTymon.
    • View Profile
Re: Charles Symon & Isobel Smith, Kirriemuir
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 09 January 05 09:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lesley

Sorry we haven't been able to help you so far on this one. 

Have you made any progress,  or do you have any further details that could help someone to find what you are looking for?

Look forward to hearing from you.

Best wishes 

Ticker
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Lady Macbeth

• 1965-2013
  • Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Charles Symon & Isobel Smith, Kirriemuir
« Reply #2 on: Monday 10 January 05 09:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ticker, unfortunately Charles senior seems to have vanished.  I am waiting for the 1841 census to come available on ScotsPeeps (promised end 2004 but still waiting) in case he was still around in the area then.  I think he may have come down from Aberdeenshire and have posted on that board in case anyone is looking at Symon(s) around Crathie and Braemar.

I have also found two possible Charles Symon buried in the Howff in Dundee and hope to follow this up if I can.  They are the following.

Charles Police Office Keeper (no date of death) husband of Isabel Gruar(Grewar).
I found him in the 41 census of Dundee so alive then and showing as Police Turnkey/Agricultural Labourer (sounds promising) aged 61 born outside Angus.  Isabel died 1835 but have found no marriage in OPR.  According to her burial note, she was from Braemar but don't take this as gospel.

Charles Old Soldier and Pensioner d1848 aged 71 from Crathie, Aberdeenshire
I intend to try and find him in the 41 census outside Angus as I can only find the above in that county.  There is an OPR of his birth in Crathie to John Symon 1771, no mother's name.  I cannot find a mention of him in the National Archives military records and have tried various surname variants.

So,,,, looking for any Charles Symon in Scotland from 1760s to 1850s to eliminate from my enquiries, and any Isabel/Isobel Grewar/Gruars of that time.

Happy searching
Lesley
Gegan, Geoghegan, Gagan, or any variation whatsoever in Ireland (particularly Co Offaly/Kings Co) and Scotland;
Symons and Symon in Angus, Perthshire and Aberdeenshire, Scotland;
McKenna in Ireland and Scotland;
Wilkie in Kincardine and Angus, Scotland