Author Topic: Woolwich, Kent; Church of England nearest to St. Mary Magdalene?  (Read 13647 times)

Offline Pibrocher

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Woolwich, Kent; Church of England nearest to St. Mary Magdalene?
« on: Tuesday 15 November 05 17:47 GMT (UK) »
I am in hopes that someone knows the Woolwich area?  Christening records of two ancestors (c 1822 and 1824) were found at St. Mary Magdalene there, but no marriage record.  I have become aware that often parish churches could not perform marriages, that a Church of England would need to perform this.  I would like to know of the name(s) of the nearest Church(es) of England to this area.  (A long shot, I know, but other avenues are becoming exhausted!)  Thanks so much for any help!  Pibrocher from Canada

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
Re: Woolwich, Kent; Church of England nearest to St. Mary Magdalene?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 15 November 05 18:21 GMT (UK) »
I think that you are confused.  The parish church is always church of England and St Mary Magdalene is the parish church.  You need to look for a marriage licence to see if they were given permission to marry elsewhere.

The parish is in the diocese of Rochester and so there are two possible places to find the licence.  In the parish or diocese records.

David
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Pibrocher

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 15 November 05 18:41 GMT (UK) »
Ahh--thanks much! David--I'd had conflicting information. 

Offline Dimps

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • GET STUCK IN...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 21 November 05 01:35 GMT (UK) »
As far as I can recall, at that time only Quaker and Jewish marriages were recognised apart from C of E - everyone else had to have a second marriage in an Anglican (C of E) church.  Even until relatively recently, marriages in Catholic churches, for instance, required the attendance of a Registrar (my parents' marriage included).

Can you provide some names and any other information you have - I'm sure someone here will be able to help?

Dimps
Linberry, Chatfield, Faulkner, West in West Sussex<br />Towell, in Shoreditch and Exeter<br />Spurling from Norfolk<br />Bateson from Norfolk<br />Snell, Lorkin, Norman from Suffolk<br />O'Boyle/Boyle from Donegal<br />Murray, McCann, Gunn from Sutherland<br />Davis, Bute from Woolwich<br /><br />Census information contained in this post is Crown copyright:  www.NationalArchives.gov.uk

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 21 November 05 09:33 GMT (UK) »
Just to clarify my comment.  By suggesting looking for a marriage licence to marry elsewhere, I meant in a CoE church other than one in the parish of either of the couple. 

David
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Pibrocher

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 21 November 05 13:42 GMT (UK) »
Again, thank you so much for your offer to help.  Ancestors were Abraham ROBERTS (a soldier) and wife Alice.  This info was obtained recently from their eldest son John's marriage certificate (in YKS).  We found that John and (surprisingly) a brother Joseph, were christened in St. Mary Magdalene in 1822 and 1824 respectively.  This is all new information; I had been hoping to find Alice and Abraham's marriage certificate or find them on a census in Kent but no luck (maybe since a soldier?).  Vague family lore indicates that there may be a Welsh connection? and a stonemason connection?  Stalled--any help much appreciated!  Pibrocher in Canada 

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 25 September 09 11:49 BST (UK) »
As this is such an old request you may well have made some progress by now but if not ..............

Woolwich St Mary Magdalene

Joseph (born 24 March) baptised 18 Apr 1824 son of Abraham & Alice ROBERTS, artillery barracks, gunner Royal Artillery

John (born 8 Jan) baptised 27 Jan 1822 son of Abraham & Alice ROBERTS, Red Lion Street, gunner Royal Artillery

Casalguidi :)

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Pibrocher

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 25 September 09 13:16 BST (UK) »
Casalguidi--
thank you very much!! Very Much!! 
I hadn't been able to make any progress with this and it was a definite stumbling block, for years.  This will help me find his Regiment and etc. I hope, and move forward.
Not sure where you've found it, but thanks so much--
Pibrocher

Offline Penholder

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Archie & Ruby
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 28 September 09 10:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Pibrocher

My 2 X great grandmother married her first husband at St. Luke, Old Charlton and then they had children christened at St. Mary Magdalene, Woolwich and St. Alfege, Greenwich.   Her husband was a soldier.

Regards,

Diana
Hakes - Piddington, Northants; Bucks
Hillyard, Lebatt & Bodsworth - Piddington, Northants
Bonner - Warwickshire & Leicestershire
Caughlin - Clonmore Co. Wicklow/Carlow
Muzzell - Sussex
Jones - Rushbury, Shropshire; Nuneaton & Birmingham, Warwickshire; Piddington & Northampton, Northants
Penhorwood - Devon
Shutt - Devon & Kent
Oliver, Davies & James - Pembrokeshire
Green, Enser, Oldham, Bramman, Billings & Watmough - Nottinghamshire