Author Topic: An Album of Unknown Photographs  (Read 20310 times)

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: An Album of Unknown Photographs
« Reply #18 on: Monday 15 October 07 16:00 BST (UK) »
Hi , It seems alot of people have the same problem as me. Albums full of photographs of unknown people.We know they're of some relation ( why else would we have the photo's ? ) but can't figure out how their related or who they are.I set up a website specifically for photographs like these. Where they can be posted up onto the web along with all known details, in the hope that someone will visit the website and recognise a face!
If your interested in this idea then please get in touch with me
Jackie
Sorry...off topic...but saw Jackie's earlier posting!
Jackie re: your online collection...you should use rootschat to help with some of your searches....such as did any Varley family lived in Milton Grove on any of the censuses? Not often that there is a clue on a photo as to where it was taken...perhaps a female married a fellow from there....This is a great and helpful siite.  All the best...J.J.
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline Perro

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 26 April 08 16:03 BST (UK) »
hello,

I am having a problem opening the web site is it still active please.

Avril

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 26 April 08 23:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Avril,
The Rootschat free webserver has been out of action for some time, see this thread for latest news:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,295778.0.html

Prue

Offline Perro

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 27 April 08 11:27 BST (UK) »
Thanks I will wait, I have a lot of old photos bought in Auction as I cannot resist them it hurts me to see them all alone......

Avril

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 28 May 08 17:13 BST (UK) »
Just come across this topic rather late in the day and would add a rider.  Don't assume that everyone in your old album is a family member.  In our album there are quite a few pictures of people connected with the Baptist Church where my gt-grandfather and grandfather were deacons and Sunday School teachers.  Clearly the church played a great part in their lives, but I've only been able to identify most of the "chapel bodies" because I also have a little illustrated booklet dating back to the late 1800s with named photos in it.  Other photos show groups from work - my great-uncle with fellow millworkers barefoot by his loom, etc.

As if it wasn't hard enough to identify family members from several generations ago!  ::)

Gillg
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline doverrog

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 16 February 09 11:06 GMT (UK) »
Let me add my support to Gillgs' warning. I've discovered photos of well known band leaders and local gentry. So keep an eye out.
MATSON-East Kent.  HURST- Oxfordshire.