Author Topic: Who was Daniel Patrick Whelan ?  (Read 17311 times)

Offline magsbutler

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Who was Daniel Patrick Whelan ?
« Reply #9 on: Friday 09 December 05 15:00 GMT (UK) »
Just interested to know, how did his real identity actually emerge - did he 'confess all ' to a family member?

Mags
Bailey - co.Limerick, Kilbeheny;co. Tipperary, Ballyporeen parish
King - co.Limerick, Kilbeheny parish
Moher - co.Tipperary, Ballyporeen parish
Farrell - co.Tipperary, Coolagarranroe, Skeheenaranky
Fitzgerald - ditto

Offline Mobo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Family History - the ultimate detective story
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 09 December 05 17:26 GMT (UK) »
 :) :)

Yep !!

:) :)

BUCKLEY, Ches. & Lancs, DUNN, Ireland & Lancs. EDGSON, Rutland, Leics & Lancs. LYON, Lancs. McNULTY, Ireland & Lancs. MORRIS, Beds, Hunts & Lancs. SWARBRICK, Lancs. TURNER, Lancs. WILLIAMSON, Lancs.

All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 09 December 05 18:09 GMT (UK) »
Just interested to know, how did his real identity actually emerge - did he 'confess all ' to a family member?

Mags

I am wondering too as I notice Patrick Whelan is on the list of those who died in the Easter Rising. Was it a written signed confession, before witnesses, or just verbal?

Chris 

Offline magsbutler

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 09 December 05 19:27 GMT (UK) »
Clutching at straws, maybe...but look at link below, scroll down to 1918

Mags

http://dungarvanmemories.users.btopenworld.com/years.htm

Bailey - co.Limerick, Kilbeheny;co. Tipperary, Ballyporeen parish
King - co.Limerick, Kilbeheny parish
Moher - co.Tipperary, Ballyporeen parish
Farrell - co.Tipperary, Coolagarranroe, Skeheenaranky
Fitzgerald - ditto

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 09 December 05 19:52 GMT (UK) »
Chris might know more about this- I would have thought that to study medicine at that time you would have had to be comfortably off and obviously educated - my ancestors would not have been able to do this for example.
I looked at a site earlier mentioning the execution of Patrick Whelan. His brother in more recent times said that Patrick had gone to Dublin for work. There was no mention of another brother.
Many prisoners were taken to England. Maybe that's what happened to Daniel.
I wonder what career he pursued in his freedom.
It's a tricky one this.
Good luck
Heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Mobo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 09 December 05 21:29 GMT (UK) »
Just interested to know, how did his real identity actually emerge - did he 'confess all ' to a family member? Mags

I am wondering too as I notice Patrick Whelan is on the list of those who died in the Easter Rising. Was it a written signed confession, before witnesses, or just verbal?  Chris 

All I know is, when he was buried in 1968 in Australia, it was under his real name.  How long the family had known about his true identity I can't say.  It's a bit tricky giving out too much info, as some of his relatives are still alive. 

??? ???

BUCKLEY, Ches. & Lancs, DUNN, Ireland & Lancs. EDGSON, Rutland, Leics & Lancs. LYON, Lancs. McNULTY, Ireland & Lancs. MORRIS, Beds, Hunts & Lancs. SWARBRICK, Lancs. TURNER, Lancs. WILLIAMSON, Lancs.

All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Mobo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 09 December 05 21:37 GMT (UK) »
Chris might know more about this- I would have thought that to study medicine at that time you would have had to be comfortably off and obviously educated ............l.
I wonder what career he pursued in his freedom.It's a tricky one this. Good luck Heywood

When the family lived in England, they lived in a fine house, so he was obviously in a well paid job, and when they moved to Oz, he worked for a mining company.

??? ???

Offline Christopher

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 09 December 05 21:47 GMT (UK) »
Clutching at straws, maybe...but look at link below, scroll down to 1918

Mags

http://dungarvanmemories.users.btopenworld.com/years.htm

Well done again Mags. You are very consistent with really good information. We can forget my theory about the guy we are seeking dying in the Easter Rising in 1916 less Patrick Whelan returned to haunt the authorities.  8)

Offline Christopher

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 09 December 05 22:08 GMT (UK) »
Chris might know more about this- I would have thought that to study medicine at that time you would have had to be comfortably off and obviously educated - my ancestors would not have been able to do this for example.
I looked at a site earlier mentioning the execution of Patrick Whelan. His brother in more recent times said that Patrick had gone to Dublin for work. There was no mention of another brother.
Many prisoners were taken to England. Maybe that's what happened to Daniel.
I wonder what career he pursued in his freedom.
It's a tricky one this.
Good luck
Heywood

I agree with you here Heywood. The standard of education required to advance to a higher level to study medicine is pointing towards Daniel Patrick Whelan being grammar school educated as well as coming from a comfortable home background.

I wonder if Dr Linde Lunney, Editorial Secretary of "A Dictionary of Irish Biography" has anything on her files for the next edition regarding this man?
I have posted a message to her drawing attention to this thread.

Mobo, you have not mentioned where the family lived in England. I wonder if, since the family lived in a fine house and Daniel had a well paid job, there might be some information to be discovered about him in that locality.

Keep Hunting,

Chris