Author Topic: 1851 lookup, please - Hadlock - Beeston  (Read 1494 times)

Offline peterb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
1851 lookup, please - Hadlock - Beeston
« on: Sunday 18 December 05 01:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I'm looking for Mary Hadlock or Hedlock before she married George Headley in 1854. Here she is in '61 with her son from previous marriage. I can't find any Hadlock deaths before 1854 so I don't know when her previous husband died or where they might have lived, but Beeston is a good place to start. Her age was quite elastic in subsequent censuses so a birthdate of 1820 is only approximate.

RG9/3361 61 14
Leeds Beeston
Town Street
George Headley, head, 69, Farm Labourer, b. Durham Haildon
Mary, wife, 41, b. Ireland
William Hedlock, son, 16, Miners boy, b. Ireland

Robert Headley, son, 5, b. Yorks Beeston
Margaret Headley, dau, 2, b. do.

Thanks for any help,

PeterB
Berry Ripley Hedley Wilkinson
Stringer Wright Plummer Wilson
Clay Wilkinson Rhodes Dalby
Wilson Ormond Leach Barker                                                                                                                        http://berry-family.rootschat.net/

Census information is crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Nessie

• I am sorry my emails are not working.
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1851 lookup, please - Hadlock - Beeston
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 18 December 05 15:04 GMT (UK) »
Couldn't find them.Of course there is the possibility they were still in Ireland at that point :)
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Sisterjane

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Castle Hill Huddersfield...Im Here..Where are They
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 18 December 05 18:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi Peterb, Could this be George before he married Mary. Perhaps Mary was his 2nd wife

1851 Cencus Beeston
HO107-102-P1

Robert Rutherford 29 head b Melsonby,Yorks       Farm lab
Eliza         " 23 wife b Beeston
George Hedley 57 Father in law b Woodham, Durham   Farm lab
William Hedley 18 Brother in law b Beeston  Coal miner

Kershaw, Longbottom,Parvin
Areas  Huddersfield, Brighouse, Rastrick ,Thirsk, Sand Hutton
Masters in London/Surrey
Cencus information is crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline peterb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 19 December 05 07:09 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Nessie, I had considered that. It is more likely, I think, that a widow would remain where she was, close to any support base, rather than change country when her husband died.

Spot on, Joe. I did have that. George is my 4xg-grandfather. My 3xg-grandfather is from his first marriage. I was hoping to track down a bit more history for wife #2.

Thanks to you both,

PeterB
Wilson Ormond Leach Barker                                                                                                                        http://berry-family.rootschat.net/

Offline dglvr

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 10 December 16 15:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi Peterb,

Mary Hadlock was my 4x g grandmother. Her first husband was James Hadlock. They came from the County Clare region I believe. Her maiden name was Keef. Her father was Patrick Keef.

I have previously been given messages from a Graham Thorpe via ancestry. Hope this helps.

Graham Thorpe
Jun 06, 2010
Hi Damian

I'm not sure if you have received the email I sent to your email address so I am attching the content to this reply.

The mention of the name Hadlock started bells ringing in the back of my head, I have the name once in my tree but I knew that I had seen a connection to the name elsewhere but couldn't for the life of me remember where. Since receiving your email I have been wading through endless amounts of notebooks and have just discovered what it was I was looking for.

My connection to the Duxbury line is through my Great * 2 Grandparents George Hedley (1825 -1885) and Harriet Duxbury (1826 - ?), they were married in 1846. There is however an earlier but not a direct connection to the Duxbury name.

My Great * 3 Grandfather , George Hedley (1794 - 1875) was married to Hannah Roberts (G * 3 Grandmother), after her death in 1849 George (Headley - variant spelling) married Mary Hadlock in 1854. You may already know most of this but you certainly wouldn't know of my connection to George. My apologies if you do already have this information but at least we can compare notes.

George & Mary had two children, Robert Hedley (1855) and Margaret Hedley (1859), they are my Great * 2 Great Uncle and Aunt. Mary as far as I know was born c1820 in County Clare, she had at least two children William & Elizabeth. Presumably she was a widow when she married George. After George died I continued looking for Mary and found her on the 1891 census where she was living with her daughter Elizabeth and son in law Charles H Duxbury. That was the connection I was looking for. When I found this information I wasn't able to establish whether or not Charles was part of my Duxbury line and I didn't pursue it any further. I must confess that I think it is too much of a coincidence for Charles not to be part of my Duxbury line given that his wife was the step sister of George Hedley who was married to Harriet Duxbury. You could be forgiven for thinking that Elizabeth introduced George to Harriet or that Harriet introduced Elizabeth to Charles.

Providing the information I have is correct then Mary Hadlock is your G * 3 Grandmother and your relationship to Robert & Margaret is the same as mine but we as such are not related through them.

With regards to Robert & Margaret Hedley:- I have not been able to find anything on Robert but Margaret married Walter Pennock Dec 1880 Leeds, they had one son Robert Hedley Pennock born Q1 1882. Margaret died Q1 1882 (presumably in childbirth) and Robert Hedley Pennock died Q2 1882.

I do hope that you find this information useful and I look forward to hearing from you again.

Best wishes

GLOVER'S OF FERMANAGH, DUXBURY'S OF BEESTON (LEEDS), CARTER'S OF HORSFORTH AND ROBERTS OF BARROW IN FURNESS AND LLANELLI

Offline peterb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 12 December 16 04:56 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Damian. There is lots of info in your post that I shall have to work through. Thanks especially for the details of Mary's first marriage.
PeterB