Author Topic: Old London Newspaper  (Read 1990 times)

Offline griz

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Old London Newspaper
« on: Sunday 25 December 05 03:59 GMT (UK) »
I have  this old  London newspaper called 'The Sun.'  Printed at 112 The Strand. This issue was published Friday Oct 7th 1814. There are a few BMDs which I can list if that is ok.

Although I have had this paper for years I have not really looked at it till recently( it was out of sight, out of mind,stored  in a box with a few old ' Times'  papers.)

How fascinating these old papers are. The little fragile thin newspaper is two sheets folded,  ie. 4 pages,  and it cost  sixpence halfpenny!! I wonder what that would be equivalent to nowadays! It was obviously not for 'the great unwashed!' 
I started reading about the stamp tax  which elevated the price of newspapers out of the reach of most working people, so the they  would not become inflamed with subversive ideas. :) like, I suppose, toppling the Monarchy etc .

There are some interesting little pieces in this paper, including a letter of endorsement for medicine "Leakes Patent Pills" from some poor gent suffering from 'Hues Venerea.' I looked it up it is Syphilis. He has had great relief. Maybe it had mercury in it?  He says he has had it since 1790.  He says he is much improved and now he is 'fat and jolly".   :) He is probably fictional but his name is given as Alex Murker of  Swann's Close, High Street, Edinburgh. he has witmesses to his cure: John Thompson 3, New Poultry market. Edin. and John McIntosh of Old Assembly Close, Edin.
Then, main seller,  Thomas Taylor, member Royal College of Surgeons, number 9 New Bridge Steet London (his residence)  also follows a list of other sellers of the medicine in England ,Scotland and Ireland, and more 'puffery.

The BMD's.(faint and hard to read) 
Births:
Last Friday, at Pimlico the lady of Lieut. Lewis Benoe. of the King's German Legion, a son.
On Sat last, at Brooke Cottage, Pangbourne Berks, Mrs Wheatley,  of twins.
On Monday last, the lady of John Hardy esq. Recorder of Leeds, of a son.
On Wed last, at his residence, Pembroke St. Oxford, the lady of John Bennett Esq, of a daughter.
On the 29th ult at Castle Mahon, Ireland, the seat of her mother Lady Chatterton, the lady of Rev Richard Dickson, of a daughter.

Married:
On Tues, 27th Ult. M. Gutteres esq at Spanish Town, Jamaica to Rebecca, 5th daughter of J.B. Lonsada,( 'n' is indistinct) Esq. of Devonshire Square.
 On Monday last, at Brighton, Mr Joseph Webb of Moreton Essex, to Miss Mariane Hewitt Quare,  eldest daughter of Mr Benjamin B Quare of Matching Green in the same County.
On Tuesday last,   Henry Brown, esq. Banker, Windsor to Miss Dolby of Winkfield.
At the 4th Inst at Boldre , near Lymington Hants.Captain Peyton RN to Frances Boyfield, daughter of the late T. Woodyear Esq. of the Island of St Christopher.
Yesterday at St George's Church, Hanover-Square, E.J. Priestly Esq. Lieut of the 33rd Regiment, to Mary Ann Kenworthey, only daughter of the late John Kenworthey Esq of Madras.
On the 6th Inst at Mortlake Surrey, Mr Henry Symonds of Axbridge, Somersetshire, to Miss Jemima Dyne of the former place.
At Cheltenham, George Scotland Esq.  to Miss Sarah McDowell, on the Island of Antigua.

Died:
On Saturday last, at Islington, Captain Thomas Brown one of the Elder Brethen of Trinity House.
On Tuesday last, at Watford, Denham Barons, Esq age 49.
On Wednesday last, at her house at Edmonton, Mrs Snell, relict of William Snell, Esq. West India Merchant of the City of London.
On Friday, the 30th Ult.at Snydale near Ferrybridge, Yorkshire, in his 40th year, James Torre, Jun. Esq. Lieut-Colonel of the East York Regiment of Militia.
Yesterday se'nnight, at his residence, Newall hall, Orley. Thomas Clifton Esq. Barrister at law.
On the 24th Ult, Thomas Monypenny, Esq.  3rd son of the late James Monypenny, Esq, at Rye, Maytham Hall in the County of Kent.
A few days ago, suddenly, William Carr, Esq. of Stackhouse, near Settle.
On Monday, the 19th Ult, at Mountjoy-Square,  Dublin, Sir Francis Hopkins, Bart. of Athboy Lodge, County of Meath.
On Monday se'nnight ,at his house in Binfield, J. Buckeridge, Esq. Lieut- Colonel in the Army, and one of the Magistrates for the County of Berks.
On Tuesday se'nnight, at his residence, Canal Place, at Southampton, Charles Longcroft, Esq.

Hoping that this will help someone :)

Boyle, Co. Leitrim  Boyle, Co. Tyrone, Shaughnessy, Co. Limerick, and  Manchester, UK.  Pope, Cheshire. Chadwick, Speke, Lancs.  Frankish, Hunmanby, Yorks.  Brindley, Audley, Staffs and  Middlesex.

Offline stonechat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Old London Newspaper
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 11 February 06 07:23 GMT (UK) »
Interesting.

I have Dolby connections in Winkfield

Can't find out where they came from though

Bob
Douglas, Varnden, Joy(i)ce Surrey, Clarke Northants/Hunts, Pullen Worcs/Herefords, Holmes Birmingham/USA/Canada/Australia, Jackson Cheshire/Yorkshire, Lomas Cheshire, Lee Yorkshire, Cocks Lancashire, Leah Cheshire, Cook Yorkshire, Catlow Lancashire
See my website http://www.cotswan.com

Offline griz

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Old London Newspaper
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 11 February 06 20:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bob,
that is great! I was hoping when I posted those  old BMDs that they would help someone.

Who knows how many other mouldering papers and documents there are around that might be a clue for some person looking back,  past the free BMD. 

I hope you find more information on your Dolby connections in Winkfield. Good hunting and please let us know if you have success!
Griz
Boyle, Co. Leitrim  Boyle, Co. Tyrone, Shaughnessy, Co. Limerick, and  Manchester, UK.  Pope, Cheshire. Chadwick, Speke, Lancs.  Frankish, Hunmanby, Yorks.  Brindley, Audley, Staffs and  Middlesex.