Author Topic: Cochrane Family- Stobieside, Strathaven  (Read 4983 times)

Offline nutkin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My reason for digging! Two nutkins!
    • View Profile
Cochrane Family- Stobieside, Strathaven
« on: Saturday 11 September 04 21:54 BST (UK) »
I have some information on the Cochrane Family that resided in Stobieside, Strathaven, Lanarkshire in the 18th c. and that were cattle breeders in Darvel, Ayrshire from the 19th c. to present.  Have a copy of entries from the family bible from  early 1800 and some 1790's entries.  Would love to find others who are researching the same family!
- Kristin :)
George William Burke.. my missing link!! son of Wm Burke & Mary Jane Stone/Morris
Shields & Milner- Patrington  & Bilton, Yorkshire<br />Nixon & Bowers - Appleby, Broughton & Messingham, Lincolnshire<br />Hancock &Tyson- Tetford, Skendleby & Spilsby, Lincolnshire<br />Cochrane- Darvel, Loudon, Ayrshire<br />Yuill, Hardie- Paisley, Renfrewshire<br />Kennedy, Gardener & Clelland- Glasgow, Lanarkshire & Paisley, Renfrewshire<br /><br />Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchive

Offline bob.boyd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Cochrane Family- Stobieside, Strathaven
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 04 November 04 00:27 GMT (UK) »
I have a John Cochrane married to a Barbara Findlay in April 1809. Barbara was from Darvel and John from Strathaven.  Are any of these names on the bible?
                         bob
Bouncing Emails

Offline nutkin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My reason for digging! Two nutkins!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 04 November 04 01:49 GMT (UK) »
I did not see the name. The bible starts with the marriage of Michael Cochrane (born 3-11-1775 in Stobieside, Strathaven, Lanarkshire to ALexander Cochrane and Mary SMith) and Agnes Mair in 1795 in Loudon, Ayrshire.  I think your John Cochrane could be his brother. 

The children born in the bible were born bewteen 1796-1813.  I think a generation after your ancestor.
- Kristin
George William Burke.. my missing link!! son of Wm Burke & Mary Jane Stone/Morris
Shields & Milner- Patrington  & Bilton, Yorkshire<br />Nixon & Bowers - Appleby, Broughton & Messingham, Lincolnshire<br />Hancock &Tyson- Tetford, Skendleby & Spilsby, Lincolnshire<br />Cochrane- Darvel, Loudon, Ayrshire<br />Yuill, Hardie- Paisley, Renfrewshire<br />Kennedy, Gardener & Clelland- Glasgow, Lanarkshire & Paisley, Renfrewshire<br /><br />Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchive

Offline Pointer

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 19 March 10 23:33 GMT (UK) »
John Cochran who married Barbara Findlay 15 Apr 1809 was the Brownside family. He was the son of John Cochran and Helen Hamilton (I think of Colinhill, Strathaven) and was one of 9 children, including triplets. Helen Hamilton died shortly after their birth in 1786. Any interest in exchanging information?

Offline smiller09

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 26 September 15 16:17 BST (UK) »
I know it has been a long time since you originally posted this, but I hope you are still interested in the Cochrans of Stobieside.

I have traced my family history with a fair degree of certainty back to my 4G grandfather, Michael Cochran b. Oct 31 1709 to Alexander Cochran and Isabel Marshall of Drumclog. It appears from an SP extract that he had  3 siblings:

1 22/03/1708 COCHRAN ALEXANDER

2 25/04/1699 COCHRAN ISSABELL

3 29/05/1702 COCHRAN JOHN

4 31/10/1709 COCHRAN MICHELL

Your Michael Cochran appears to be the nephew of my GGGG Grandfather, who was noted to be the proprietor of Stobieside on his daughter Jean's birth registration in 1770. Jean was my GGG grandmother. She married William Miller of nearby Burnfoot farm. They subsequently farmed Boghall at the foot of Loudon Hill and Meikle Byre NE of Darvel.

I would appreciate sharing any information you have on this family.  I visited Scotland last fall and employed a local genealogist to research. I could send you a copy of her report if you would like. I also have information of the later Cochrans who emigrated to the US in the 1850's.

Regards

Steven Miller

Offline TheCockos

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 31 May 16 23:46 BST (UK) »
My Cochran family are listed as coming from Struther outside Lanarkshire - is this near Stobieside?  I have a lot of information on this family that I need to verify and would love to make contact with someone who might share the same family. 

Thanks
Barry

Offline smiller09

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 27 September 16 19:51 BST (UK) »
Barry,

I am interested in following up with you on the information you have for the Cochran family of Struther farm.

Please contact me.

Regards,

Steven Miller

Offline Barry Cocko

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 28 September 16 05:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Steve
Can you send me a friend request on Facebook (I'm the Barry Cochrane in the blue shirt)  or your email address and I can get back to you.
Thanks
Barry