Author Topic: Arnold,Denton,Flory,Hayward&Hurnard  (Read 4929 times)

Offline Penninah

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Great Grandpa William Hillman
    • View Profile
Arnold,Denton,Flory,Hayward&Hurnard
« on: Sunday 12 September 04 15:46 BST (UK) »
Hello all!
Several birds with one stone is the idea of this post!!

Im looking for any info on these people all of whom lived in or near Colchester around the 1880's; 1) Henry Arnold whom i believe was a pork butcher
2) Charles Edward Denton he was a solicitor (i have a little info about him and his family from the igi and 1881 & 91 census)
3) Thomas Flory, who was a brickmaker and Builder
4) Henry Winnock Hayward, who was an Architect/surveyor
And finally Louisa Bowman Hurnard (i have also some info on her and her husband James from what i have found on the lds site)
Im looking for any other information that i can get if anybody has these names or knows of plces i may be able to find further info on them that would be great!
thanks for looking!
regards
penninah  :)
Doling- Middlesex/London +Hants, Morgan- London/Middlesex +Glouc, Vincent- London/Middlesex, Wambach (+Hamburg & Suffolk), Wadley & Wilkins.<br /><br />NORTHUMBERLAND; English, Huggup & Webster.<br />HANTS; Heath<br /><br />Any census info is crown copywright

Offline kevan

• RootsChat Senior
  • My beautiful grandmother - Ethel Litlechild
    • View Profile
Re: Arnold,Denton,Flory,Hayward&Hurnard
« Reply #1 on: Monday 13 September 04 23:11 BST (UK) »
Hiyah,
         I will do one tonight, I have spent 10 hours at the ERO today, and absolutely kn****d. Henry Arnold shows up a lot in the Colchester area, eg Dedham, Ardleigh and varying ages. can you give more info, specifically age to look for. I have access to 1871, 1891 and 1901, for everywhere, and 1841, 1861 for Essex, Suffolk  and some other places, so all is available.

Best
Kevan
Kevan - Wilding, Littlechild, Beard, Cumbers, Murphy, Wickham, Lagden etc.
Public House info
http://essex1841.com &amp;
http://pubshistory.com
http://historyofstratford.co.uk//

Offline Joanne Laura

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 15 July 16 14:10 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Re 1) Henry Arnold.
He was born c1825, Great Holland, Essex the son of John Arnold (1782-1873) and Mary. He had 10 , possibly 11 siblings.  Both his children with Mary were born in London - William J in c.1849 (not sure where) and Mary Ann Arnold bQ2 1854 Pimlico, London. By 1861 the family had returned to Essex and were living in Colchester but separately, Mary and the children in Wellington Street and Henry as a manservant elsewhere in Colchester.  I had thought Henry died in 1918 but I am not sure it is the same one. In 1901 Henry and Mary were retired and living in Colchester with their grandaughter Winifred Julia Arnold, who I presume was the daughter of William but I am not 100% sure of this.  As many blanks than certainties  I am afraid.  Hope this helps

Offline findem

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 16 July 16 03:59 BST (UK) »
Just thought I'd mention that the Denton name crops up in Coggeshall which is quite close to Colchester, they are found in both C of E and Non Conformist registers.

My Denton ancestors were in Coggeshall from 1701 to 1791 and no doubt there were Dentons in Coggeshall after that.

Modified to add: The Ha(y)wards were also in Coggeshall, a Rebecca Haward (possibly Howard) married my ancestor Everet Denton at Coggeshall in 1728.
Concentrating currently on:
Essex: Card, Harris, Stowell, Theobald/Tibbles & Turner.
Norfolk: Beale, Cork & Dalton.
Yorkshire: Oswald Sturdy birth/baptism c1708, Oswald where the devil are you?

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 16 July 16 04:09 BST (UK) »
Thomas Flory was born 14 July 1842 Bramford Suffolk baptized 11 September 1842 son of Robert Flory and Harriet. Robert was a brick maker.
In 1871 reg. district Tendring Vol 4a page 357 he married Ann Wass.
He died 10 December 1916 Probate in London 7 February 1917 late of 40 Manor Road Colchester executor -son Thomas Wass Flory an engineer.
1881 census Meyrick Crescent, St Botolphs Colchester.
Thomas Flory 38 builder and brickmaker born Bramford Suffolk
Ann age34 born Kirby Essex
Alice M 5 born Walton on Naze
Thomas W 6      ditto
Ernest W 4          ditto
Arthur E 2          ditto
Lilley B age 3 months born Colchester

1891 add Ethel Violet born Colchester age 4 (1876/7)

So far Arthur Edwin Flory died 3 January 1960 probate to Dorothy Jeanette Flory, widow.

Added:
Annie Flory of 40 Manor Road Colchester, widow died 12 April 1921 at 199 Maldon Road Colchester, Probate to Thomas Wass Flory. (wife of Thomas Flory died 1916) 

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 17 July 16 06:41 BST (UK) »
 Henry Winnock Hayward born Lexden about 1823 and was the son of Henry Hammond Hayward.
Ref marriage entries.
Also the will of Henry Hammond Hayward who died 11 January 1862  a codicil proved 15 March 1862 ref PCC Wills he was late of Lexden, Colchester executors were Henry Winnock Hayward the son, Architect Surveyor Builder and Marianne Hayward spinster daughter.
His mother was Charlotte Elizabeth Winnock she married HHH by license 20 June 1811 St George Bloomsbury, witness, Sarah Winnock, Mary Ann Winnock, Sarah Reeves, A England.

1841 Census Colchester
Henry Winnock Hayward, Bank Buildings age 17, Builder.

1841 census Lexden Heath, Lexden, Colchester (the father)
Henry Hammond Hayward  55 builder
Charlotte                           55
Charlotte                            20
Marianne                            20   (1819-4 April 1884)
Eliza                                   15

1848 White's Directory, Henry Hammond Hayward and son, High Street Colchester.

1851 census Colchester, High Street
Henry W Hayward 26 Builder  born Colchester
Mary Ann Winnock, Aunt, annuitant  born London Mdx

1851 census Lexden Heath (father)
Henry H Hayward 67 retired builder born Lexden
C E                      67   born Westminster
Marianne             32            Colchester
Eliza                    28            Colchester
E E.  ?rand       widow 41 Visitor, East Bergholt Suffolk

7 August 1855 Henry Winnock Hayward marries Catherine Georgina Hackette at St Barnabus Kensington, her father Patrick Phelam Hackette, Physician, his father Henry Hammond Hayward, builder. Witness, George Anstice Hayward (her brother), Elizabeth Hackette, Theodosia -----  Lodge
 and  ?  Hayward.

1861 census Heath Cottage #9 Lexden
Henry W Hayward 36 builder
Catherine G          28
Florence E              4
Elizabeth Hackette  widow 58 visitor born Ireland.

1861 Heath Cottage Lexden, (father) next door to son HWH
Henry Hammond Hayward  widowed  77 born Lexden  retired builder
Marianne Hayward daughter              42
Eliza Hayward                                   38
Emma E Salmon g daughter               13
Anne P Salmon g daughter                   8

Father Henry Hammond Hayward dies 11 January 1862, see above reference to his will.
The entire will is not on line only the name of the deceased and executors property value 12,000
pounds

Sometime after this I believe HWH and family went to Madras India I cannot find him in England 1871 and as yet 1881 plus his daughter Florence Elizabeth Mary Hayward (1861 census)married Edward Ghugnee Morrogh on 4 December 1878 Madras India. She was 22 he was 39. 

1871 Census Heath Road Lexden
Marianne Hayward 52 Independent  (his sister)
Emma E Salmon, niece 23 Governess

1881 not found HWH or his sister Marianne as yet, possible he was still in India and she had visited, they had to have returned by 19 July 1881 as HWH married 2nd Winifred Ellen Floris (see name census 1891) of St Mary's Wimbledon, she was 34  he was 57, her father John Evan Dibbs, so she had to be a widow, his father Henry Hammond Hayward.   

Marianne Hayward died 4 April 1884 in Lexden Probate at Ipswich 19 May 1884 executor George Anstice Hayward the brother of 10 Maxilla Gardens Notting Hill. value 5,357 pounds. Again the entire will is not on line.

1891 census Dedham, Chapel House
Henry W Hayward 66 retired builder born Colchester
Winifred Ellen       44 born Islington
Robert Brooke Florie? stepson 21 born Hackney, science student.

Henry Winnock Hayward died 27 February 1893 Colchester, Probate London 10 February 1910 to Florance Morrogh, widow. 17 years after his death, probably his second wife Winifred had died and daughter Florence took care of the residue of the estate.

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 17 July 16 06:45 BST (UK) »
His sister Charlotte married Joseph Dennis Salmon 1844 Colchester registration she died 1876 age 59 Ipswich.
His brother George Anstice Hayward became a clergyman and school teacher.
Do you need their info.
I believe his sister Eliza died 1865 Colchester ref 4a 173

Offline nannyj

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 17 July 16 22:38 BST (UK) »
If Henry Arnold was definitely born in great Holland c1825, he was base born to John Roberson and Ann Arnold (servant) 15/4/1824. The other Henry Arnold was born 3/10/1826 to John and Elizabeth, but he dies 15/10/1826 aged three weeks.
There are no other Henry Arnolds born in great Holland in this time scale on the parish registers?
Jamiesons, Martins and McGonigals of Coleraine, Londonderry
and
Cullens, Grahams and Challenors of Dublin county and city.

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 19 July 16 06:22 BST (UK) »
Charles Edward Denton is the base born son of Charlotte Denton baptized St Leonard's Colchester 9 August 1846 mother Charlotte Denton spinster, no father mentioned.

1851 Census Southwark, St George Surrey
James Davis  23 Carpenter
Charlotte Davis 24
Charles Denton 5

Charlotte married James Davis December Quarter London ref 2 139

1861 census Colchester
Sarah Denton  71  Tailoress born Colchester
Elza Denton dau. 27  Tailoress born Brightlingsea
Charles Denton son 16 attorney's clerk born Colchester
**He is actually her grandson

License to marry was issued 12 April 1871, Charles Denton to Florence Elizabeth Bentley he was of St Giles Colchester Essex.
They were married 13 April 1871 at New Church, Christ Church Watney Street Middlesex. He was 26 and stated his father as John Denton, Insurance Agent, she was 24 and her father was William Mortlock Bentley. Witness Marian Bentley, John Jackson Creasy and Fanny Creasy.

* The fathers name is probably a ruse, however if poor laws exist for Colchester Charlotte may have made a request for support for Charles from the reputed father, worth checking.

26 January 1874 he was nominated to the Free Masons at Angel Lodge Colchester, He was initiated 11 September 1874 at United Lodge Colchester

Directory 's of Colchester 1882 and 1886 give an address of Roman Road.
Kelly's Directory 1890 has East Stockwell Street, the name of the firm as Wittey and Denton.

1901 Census  9 East Stockwell Street Colchester
Charles E Denton 56 Solicitor born Colchester
Florence E 54    born Hertford Herts
Maud   29 born Colchester  (all children born Colchester)
Arthur  22
Frank 21
Harold 17
Henry Watts 15
Evelyn Rice  20 Visitor, born Clapham London

He died 27 May 1905, probate 8 August 1905  states he was of 9 East Stockwell Street, executor Florence Elizabeth Denton the widow and relict.
The entire will is not on line only name and date of deceased and the executor.

His wife Florence Elizabeth Denton died 31 August 1916, probate at Ipswich 11 January 1917 to Henry Watts Denton chartered Accountant and Maud Marion Dace wife of Ernest Warning Dace.