Author Topic: John Lynn Graham  (Read 2443 times)

Offline Aussie Doug

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Lynn Graham
« on: Wednesday 04 January 06 06:10 GMT (UK) »
My wifes GG Grandfather was born in Westmorland on the 6th March 1839, he sudied at Oxford I believe and became a teacher.
He married Harriet Fancourt in Sept 1875 at Hackney in London before emmigrating first to New Zealand where they had five children, then moved on to Tonga for awhile also having another child, before finally arriving in Sydney NSW where (yes you guessed it) they had another child.
Can anyone help me with John Lynn's background?
Davenport, Hadfield, Patten, Hassall, Armstrong, Graham, Ward, Fancourt, Corfield.

Offline dwalin

• RootsChat Veteran
  • looking into the past.lets you see the future
    • View Profile
Re: John Lynn Graham
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 18 January 06 14:57 GMT (UK) »
hi i have searched through the censuses on ancestery and i dont seem able to pin him down anwhere
are you possitive of the westmoreland birth.
dwalin
harris , penrose,jose.davison.layton.leighton.summerson.bennet.clasper.wallett.cadwallader.johnson.jobling.bell (cook?)      />craig.stokoe.marshall.chalmers.white.bainbridge.waite.trevena.trenwith.polkinghorn.dixon.jopling.powell.ivey.greenhow
lloyd

Offline Aussie Doug

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 20 January 06 10:10 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for looking, John Lynn kept many notes which included his birth in WestMoreland on the 6th March 1839,
His Fathers name was Charles b1795-1867, whilst his mother was born in 1809 I think.
I got a hit on the 1871 census that he may have been at Cumberland?
he did go to one of the major Universities Oxford I believe, and he married a Harriet Fancourt c1849-1908 in Sept 1875 at Hackney (1b p720), before emigrating first to New Zealand and then to Australia.

Again thank for trying

WayneD
Davenport, Hadfield, Patten, Hassall, Armstrong, Graham, Ward, Fancourt, Corfield.

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 20 January 06 10:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I think you need to start with what you do know and can confirm.   Have you got John Lynn Graham's birth certificate?   That will show where they might be in 1841.  I assume you do have the marriage one giving his father's name.  What was his occupation?   If John went to Oxford university I would expect them to be fairly wealthy and he should show up on the Oxford alumni lists.
We will find him in the end but a little more positive information will help.
Andrea

Offline Aussie Doug

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 21 January 06 07:00 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for your efforts, unfortunately the Graham clan in Australa is quit large and most documents are spread around NSW, but I shall try to get further details, hopefully sighting the original documents.
I can correct however the Univercity that John Lynn attended, it was actually Cambridge College (Blue Coats), he was also a member of the Masonic Lodge in Australia, I have no information on any membership of any English Lodge.
Notes also has his father Charles,as serving as a Lieutenant in the Fife Regiment, he died aged 72years on the 15th January 1867.

Regards
WayneD

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 21 January 06 09:33 GMT (UK) »
The Blue Coat foundation were schools not universities as far as I know.  If you google it you should get lots of information about them.   Christs Hopsital near Horsham in Sussex was the original one but there were lots.
If his father was in the army his records will be at the record office in Kew.   He may well have been serving abroad at census times and may not show up.
Andrea

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 21 January 06 09:46 GMT (UK) »
Just as a matter of interest there is no death registered in 1867 for a Charles Graham age 72 but there is one in the Jan - Mar quarter of 1866.  Charles Graham age 72 Hertford 3a 208.    However I cannot find him in the 1861 census.   I wonder if he left a will?
I can't find a birth for a John Lynn Graham either.  Several without the Lynn but none with so far.   
Andrea

Offline Aussie Doug

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 22 January 06 05:39 GMT (UK) »
Thanks

I am only able to quote from notes of written notes I'm afraid, and I can only hope I can get to see he originals some day.
The notes about Charles were notes taken by John Lynn off the remembrance card for his father, there is also a chance Charles served in India during his time in the Regiment as there is a note referring to a Remittance for his services?

Again many thanks I shall keep plugging away at it!

Regards
WayneD