Author Topic: Simpson/Aitken - Tamlaght?  (Read 5945 times)

Offline DUBLIN

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Simpson/Aitken - Tamlaght?
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 24 August 10 22:31 BST (UK) »
I HAVE MARRIAGE CERT FOR ROBERT AND MARIA WAS IN BELFAST LAST WEEK AND GOT IT. KENNY

Offline mareen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 25 August 10 12:55 BST (UK) »
Dear Lindsay,

Maria was my great great granmother i have discovered she was drowned in the river clyde her body was found at the james street area.
her husband married 1 month after she died a lady called katherine, i am still doing some research on this and will let you know if i have anymore information.

mareen jefferson.

Offline LindsaySiam

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 25 August 10 18:04 BST (UK) »
Hello Mareen,  Maria was also my 2G grandmother, I am descended from her daughter, Matilda Jane Simpson (known as Martha). Which one of her children are you descended from?

Maria drowned on 25th Aug 1900 - the Procurator's report ruled it an accident - but Robert didn't remarry until 11th Dec 1900, admittedly still a very short time after. He married a Catherine Harris (her death certificate shows that she was married 3 times, William Sinclair Burnet, Seaman R.N., William Morrison, Boiler Stoker and Robert Simpson). It is probably significant that all the unmarried children of Robert and Maria left home and went to live with their elder sister, Martha my 2G grandmother at this time .....

I have replied to Kenny via PM, will also send you my email.

regards,

Lindsay

MORRISON - Dunbartonshire, Stirlingshire
STIRLING - Stirlingshire
LINDSAY - Perthshire
MELDRUM - Fife, Angus
GIBSON - Lanarkshire
HEWITT - Wigtownshire, Lanarkshire
MEIKLE - Dunbartonshire

All census information Crown Copyright

Offline mareen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 25 August 10 18:42 BST (UK) »
dear lindsey,

nice to meet you, my mother was may symon daughter of martha who was married to maria's eldest son i believe he was john simpson.
my granny martha would not allow my mother to call me maria as she was terrified of me having a hard life the family always talked about something awful happening to there great grandma. martha had 4 daughters and 4 sons she brought them up alone as she divorced her husband during the war.

mareen.

Offline LindsaySiam

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 25 August 10 19:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Mareen, yes, John Simpson (born 1868 in Londonderry) was Maria's eldest son, the eldest of seven children.  I think you will find that you and Kenny (Dublin below) are quite closely related  ;) that is if you don't know each other already.

It is interesting that your granny Martha didn't want you called Maria .. our cousin annemac (also posting on this page) and I have often discussed how all the ladies named after her, i.e. Maria Aitken xxxxx, in our families seem to have had quite troubled lives although this is probably just coincidence.

If you send me a PM with your email address, I will copy you on what I send to Kenny also.

regards,
Lindsay
MORRISON - Dunbartonshire, Stirlingshire
STIRLING - Stirlingshire
LINDSAY - Perthshire
MELDRUM - Fife, Angus
GIBSON - Lanarkshire
HEWITT - Wigtownshire, Lanarkshire
MEIKLE - Dunbartonshire

All census information Crown Copyright

Offline whiteout7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 20 February 17 19:24 GMT (UK) »
Being Researched from New Zealand.

Name: Margaret Norris.
Marriage date 21 Nov 1850
Place Tamlaght, Derry, Ireland
Father Robert Norris
Spouse's James Lemon
Spouse's father Robert Lemon
Residence Tamlaght, Londonderry, Ireland

Unsure where Margaret Lamont (Nee Norris) died and how the surname might be recorded, their children are Lamont/Lamond

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=734963.new#new
Wemyss/Crombie/Laing/Blyth (West Wemyss)
Givens/Normand (Dysart)
Clark/Lister (Dysart)
Wilkinson/Simson (Kettle or Kettlehill)

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 24 February 17 10:36 GMT (UK) »
Whiteout I am a bit confused.  Are you saying that the Lemon surname ie Margaret Norris married James Lemon son of Robert Lemon has been commonly known/recorded as Lamond/Lamont? I had not known that an alternative spelling was Lamont. Its just that the Lemon surname was a common one around Limavady and the leap to Lamond/t seems unusual.  I do not have Lemon ancestors though several Limavady Lemons lived with Limavady Harris relations who made the move to Philadelphia in the 1860s.  I do have Lamont ancestors but they are from Scotland, part of the White family who are part of the MacGregor clan.  The name is spelt Lamont but the T is spoken softly as though it was Lamond.

Just looked at the 1901 census there were 422 Lemons, most in the North and most in Antrim and 645 Lamonts most in the North..so you learn something every day!  If Lemon is another version of Lamont, and I am sure Aghadowey will be able to confirm this,  then I think you will need to search for Lemon and variations and lamond/t and variations. 

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 24 February 17 10:59 GMT (UK) »
There is a 68 year Margaret Lemon living with two daughters Margaret McMurray & Ellen Lemon  in Woodvale ward Antrim. She was a widow and Presbyterian born Antrim. 

A 70 year Margaret Lamont living with daughter Sarah Jane Carlton and husband William James Carlton and some nephews Knox and McKenna.   She is born in Tyrone and CoI.

Where did you last 'see' Margaret?

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 24 February 17 11:10 GMT (UK) »
Lamont, Lamond and Lemon are all variations of the same surname in Ulster.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!