Author Topic: Sharing Useful Tips: GERMANY and E. Europe  (Read 125543 times)

Offline gbuttery

• RootsChat Senior
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re: Sharing Useful Tips: GERMANY and E. Europe
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 25 January 07 01:10 GMT (UK) »
regarding the anglicanisation of German names - can anyone suggest names for me to try.

I am looking (with not much success) for the name ASSERT. I have just seen the double s written as a letter like a B. Sorry don't know the correct name. So I was wondering just what it might have been changed to.

Any ideas?
Regards
Gill
Looking for ALMEY / ARTON / ASSERT/ ATKIN / BOWMAN / BRANTON / BRIGGS / BUTTERY / CAMPEY / CARLILE / CARTER / CLIFFE / FARNELL / FORD / FOWL/ FROKINGHAM / FROW / GIESLER / GODDARD / HODGE / KIDD / MAUD / MEINECKE / PEERS / POOL / PROCTER / ROBINSON / SMITH  / SPEED / TRIMINGHAM / TUTE / UFFINDELL / WINN

Offline D ap D

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stuck with John Jones in Wales? Join the club!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 25 January 07 09:00 GMT (UK) »

I am looking (with not much success) for the name ASSERT. I have just seen the double s written as a letter like a B. Sorry don't know the correct name. So I was wondering just what it might have been changed to.

you mean the "ß"? its called "eszet", (literally "s, z") because that is how it is sometimes written. Also known as "scharfes S" - sharp S, for some reason.

As for the name Asset, I would have thought it easy enough to pronounce as it is, whithout it having to be anglicized. Where about did they originate?

D
Stuck with:
William Williams of Llanllyfni
John Jones in Llanelli
Evan Evans in Caio
David Davies of Llansanffraid
Evans: Caio/Carms
Jones: CDG, DEN

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Nor do I think that any other nation than this of Wales, or any other tongue, whatever may hereafter come to pass, shall on the day of the great reckoning before the Most High Judge, answer for this corner of the earth": The Old Man of Pencader to Henry II

Offline gbuttery

• RootsChat Senior
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 25 January 07 09:30 GMT (UK) »
According to his marriage certificate (1874), my Adolf Bernart Assert was from Oelse. He was a tailor. His father was Carl Assert, a bricklayer.

Thanks
Gill
Looking for ALMEY / ARTON / ASSERT/ ATKIN / BOWMAN / BRANTON / BRIGGS / BUTTERY / CAMPEY / CARLILE / CARTER / CLIFFE / FARNELL / FORD / FOWL/ FROKINGHAM / FROW / GIESLER / GODDARD / HODGE / KIDD / MAUD / MEINECKE / PEERS / POOL / PROCTER / ROBINSON / SMITH  / SPEED / TRIMINGHAM / TUTE / UFFINDELL / WINN

Offline Raphael

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 02 February 07 21:29 GMT (UK) »
Hello Bob and All.
I have been looking through the posts re tips. and found many interesting ones. Re: Umlauts, as I use umlauts quite often , I have now memorized the Ascci codes using the numeric pad with numlock on. it is very quick with practice.
Hold Alt and type the code ie  ß = alt+225. ü = alt129.  ö =148, Ö =153, Ü =ALT+154. Ä= ALT =142 Ä

I also have another computer dedicated to German with the umlaut keyboard which is easier when you get to know the various combination of the keys.

Re family History. I was fortunate to be married to a German Lady for many years and living there in Düsseldorf NRWF "Nord Rhein Westfalen", and when we married she showed me the "Deutsches Einheits Familien-Stammbuch" (Family Register) that went back to her family in 1929, and the last two pages has Our marriage certificate and later her death Certificate . Her Father and Mother's record shows Lyck in East Prussia, and Alsass Lorrain on the Franco German border (now Alsass Löthringen.) All the family children's records are in it from Derendorf and Düsseldorf.

I am delighted to see that there are many who are interested in  German Genealogy. I am however at the moment fully occupied with my mothers side Delaunay, from 1697 to present date. I shall later research as far as possible my German Wifes relatives, with the help of some of her descendent's. I thank Berlin Bob for his excellent first hand contributions.

Best Wishes to All
Mit freudlichen Grüßen
Raphael UK & D.

Delaunay, Hackney,McIntosh, Culloden, Manchester -Lancashire, Salford, Blackley, Crumpsall, Cheetham Hill M/cr.  Grappenhall-Warrington.   Gonter-Hackney Düsseldorf & Derendorf , NRWF Germany.

Offline loo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 02 February 07 23:09 GMT (UK) »
the Osnabruck site that Rena refers to is coming up a dead link for me.  Can anyone tell me if it's working for them?
ARMSTRONG - Castleton Scot; NB; Westminstr Twp
BARFIELD - Nailsea
BRAKE - Nailsea
BURIATTE
CANDY - M'sex, Deptford
CLIFFORD - Maidstone
DURE(E) - France, Devon, Canada
HALLS - Chigwell
KREIN, Peter/Adam - Germany
LEOPOLD - Hanover, London
LATTIMER, MAXWELL - Ldn lightermen
MEYER - Lauenstein
MURRAY - Scot borders
STEWART - Chelsea; Reach
SWANICK - Mayo & Roscommon; Ontario
WEST - Rochester & Maidstone
WILLIS - Wilts, Berks, Hants, London
WOODHOUSE - Bristol tobacconist, London
WW1 internees

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 02 February 07 23:21 GMT (UK) »

If any researchers have German ancestors who may have emigrated to Aust [as a very great number did, especially to the southern districts.] here is a fast-growing website I found yesterday which strives to list German burial headstones from the South Westrn region of Vic.

http://www.familienarchiv-papsdorf.de/OZcemeteries.htm

It is texted in both German and English.
Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MarthaJane

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 21 July 07 12:45 BST (UK) »
I'm sorry if this question has been asked (and possibly answered) elsewhere, but are there any records available of immigrants from Germany and Russia to UK in the mid 1800s?
Nicholls, Devon and Glamorgan<br />Heath, Wiltshire and Glamorgan<br />Messam, Wiltshire and Glamorgan<br/> Clapham, Bender, Middlesex
Cook, Hampshire, London
Edbrook, Devon and London
Gibson, London
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline loo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 23 July 07 08:53 BST (UK) »
Not much, I don't think, but I only know Germany, and not very much of it.

There is an emigration museum just opened in Bremerhaven last year.  It mostly covers overseas emigration, but also some who went elsewhere.  Their records currently cover the periods 1820-1833, 1840-1891, 1904 and 1907.  You can actually order a search to be done online, for a fee (rather hefty). http://www.deutsche-auswanderer-datenbank.de/index.php?id=51
I have just learned that 3 (possibly 4) of my relatives are listed there.  They all went to England, never to America.  For me, it is a very valuable resource; perhaps it would be of value to you as well.

Various archives in Germany have various records.  With the help of another rootschatter, I found a relative on the Auslanderer (emigration) records of the Lower Saxony Archives (Niedersachsen) online, which led remarkably quickly to my discovering my living German family!  See Rena's post on the previous page of this thread. The Auslander record, from 1867, said he was going to America, but he did not get there; he only went to England.  The archivist at Niedersachsen archives most emphatically would not send me the record, saying "it is not possible", and she tried to discourage me from thinking I might have found the right person, but, still, in spite of her, the info online was sufficient to get me started in the right direction, and I was right all along, as it happens.  So, don't be discouraged by German archivists is my message!

ARMSTRONG - Castleton Scot; NB; Westminstr Twp
BARFIELD - Nailsea
BRAKE - Nailsea
BURIATTE
CANDY - M'sex, Deptford
CLIFFORD - Maidstone
DURE(E) - France, Devon, Canada
HALLS - Chigwell
KREIN, Peter/Adam - Germany
LEOPOLD - Hanover, London
LATTIMER, MAXWELL - Ldn lightermen
MEYER - Lauenstein
MURRAY - Scot borders
STEWART - Chelsea; Reach
SWANICK - Mayo & Roscommon; Ontario
WEST - Rochester & Maidstone
WILLIS - Wilts, Berks, Hants, London
WOODHOUSE - Bristol tobacconist, London
WW1 internees

Offline scottw67

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 24 July 07 21:42 BST (UK) »
Hi

Ancestry.co.uk has hamburg passenger list, 1850-1934.

cheers

scott