Author Topic: Benjamin Ferguson  (Read 8173 times)

Offline Kilsyth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Benjamin Ferguson
« on: Monday 09 January 06 19:24 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for the family of Benjamin Ferguson who was born in Tyrone around 1842.  Any help would be appreciated.

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: Benjamin Ferguson
« Reply #1 on: Monday 08 May 06 12:57 BST (UK) »
Hiya Kilsyth,

Griffiths Valuation of Ireland took place in Co. Tyrone in 1851. There were a reasonable number of families with the surname Ferguson living in the county at that time. I assume Benjamin is your brick wall. Do you have information about the family back to the time of Benjamin's birth ??? If you have one or two common Christian names running in the family one of them may be Benjamin's father which would possibly make it easier to spot him on the list. http://www.failteromhat.com/griffiths.php

All the Best, Chris

Offline Kilsyth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 08 May 06 17:53 BST (UK) »
Hello Chris,

Many thanks for your reply.  Yes, Benjamin is my brick wall.  His parents, William and Mary Lamie, were married in 1835.  By 1848 his father had died and his mother remarried.  I don't know if Benjamin had any brothers or sisters.  Have you any other ideas I could try?

Offline legend

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 14 April 07 15:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Kilsyth,

I have some info on Benjamin Ferguson's family. His parents (William Ferguson and Mary Lamie) were married 19 April 1834 in Tullyniskan Parish Church, Newmills. Mary's parents were Benjamin Lamie and Mary Whiteside. They lived in the townland of Gortin. I found the baptisms of two children in Tullyniskan - Elizabeth Sarah, born 8 Jan 1839 and Andrew, born 6 Jun 1843. William died in 1847 and was buried 27 Aug 1847, aged 40. Mary remarried in 1848. I would be interested in finding out more about Benjamin.

Offline Kilsyth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 14 April 07 15:38 BST (UK) »
Hello Legend,

I am very pleased to hear from you and grateful for the information.  I have Mary's death and Benjamin's marriage and death if you don't have these dates already.  Are you descended from Benjamin?

Kilsyth

Offline legend

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 14 April 07 16:49 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I am researching the Lamie family. I don't have Mary's date of death nor do I have any information on Benjamin so I would be grateful for anything you can add.

Thanks! Legend

Offline Kilsyth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 14 April 07 17:15 BST (UK) »
Mary died at Legbrannock, Parish of Bothwell 7.1.1869 at 8pm. 

Benjamin married Mary Ann Torley, Legbrannock Church, Parish of Bothwell 25.12.1860

He was a widower when he married Mary Paton, Flowerhill Manse, Airdrie 15.12.1892

He died at 90 Nimmos Row, Longriggend 9.6.1899 at 7pm

Do you have access to the Irish records as apart from the Lamie line I am also interested in the Torley line?

Kilsyth

Offline 51st regiment

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 13 October 16 13:43 BST (UK) »
Hi

Regrading William Ferguson and Mary Lamie. Do you know if Mary had a daughter Jane possibly born before marriage?

Offline Kilsyth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 16 October 16 12:54 BST (UK) »
Yes they did.