Author Topic: 1841 and 1851 census Durham St. Nicholas Drinnan or Drinning  (Read 1368 times)

Offline jackspratt

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
1841 and 1851 census Durham St. Nicholas Drinnan or Drinning
« on: Wednesday 11 January 06 19:23 GMT (UK) »
I've reposted this from the general board - which I think was the wrong place to have put it - as, unusually for Rootschat, there was no response. Even a 'no trace' would be welcome.

"I wonder if anyone would be kind enough to see if they can find an entry in the above censuses for Archibald Drinnan and, in 1851, his wife Jane. They married in 1849 from Back Lane Claypath and in 1861 and 1871 lived in Gilesgate.

Around 1851 they might have gone under the name Drinning (as they did a little later - he was a Scottish weaver -was there some trouble in the industry which might have caused the name change?).

He could have still been in Kilmarnock in 1841.

I'll be very grateful for any help anyone can provide.

Thanks

Jack"
Mahan, Drinnan, Higginbottom,Foulds, Thompson, Johnson, Potts, Alderson, Vint.
Ireland: Durham City: Ballantrae, Kilmarnock, Scotland: Tupton, Derbyshire: London: Mitford, Morpeth, Northumberland

Offline bekahsgran

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: 1841 and 1851 census Durham St. Nicholas Drinnan or Drinning
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 11 January 06 19:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jack
I've tried all variations I can think of to search with, but I can find no trace (so far) on the 1851 for Durham.
Anne
<br /><br />Websdale, Jillings, Lovett, Savage, Egmore, Seymour, Graves, Hustler, Stannard<br />in Norfolk, Suffolk, Cambridgeshire and Lincolnshire<br />Condrit, Condrat, Condrut, Tyler, Hunter and Evans in NSW Australia

http://www.tilneyallsaintsonline.org.uk
Local History for TILNEY ALL SAINTS, Norfolk<br /><br />Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jackspratt

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 11 January 06 20:09 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much for trying Anne. It was very kind of you.

I don't think they'll be under any other variations although historically they were Drynan and Drinan.

They'll be in or around the city somewhere I think. They didn't move far from the centre in 50 years, ending up in Providence Row at the back of Claypath (or is it the front?) in 1901. I expect they'll turn up one day.

Thanks once more.

Jack
Ireland: Durham City: Ballantrae, Kilmarnock, Scotland: Tupton, Derbyshire: London: Mitford, Morpeth, Northumberland

Offline jackspratt

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 11 January 06 20:23 GMT (UK) »
Hello again Anne

I forgot to say that you've a bonny little grand child. Sorry about that.

I had a look at your website too and liked that.

I've got a small one at http://freespace.virgin.net/keith.mahan/ if you care to look. For some reason I can't get it on to Rootschat space. I should be able to but there's something on my computer that won't let me complete the application.

Thanks once again for your time.

Jack.

Offline bekahsgran

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 11 January 06 20:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jack
WHOOPEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I found them
They were transcribed as DAINNIN but I checked the image and it looks like DRINNIN to me, anyway here it is:
HO107 Piece 2391 Folio60 Page 34
Claypath, Durham, St Nicholas,
Archibald Drinnin Head Marr 25 Carpet Weaver b Scotland
Jane Drinnin Wife Marr 24 b Durham St Nicholas
Elizabeth Drinnin Daur 1 b Durham St Nicholas

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Anne
PS Hate to be beaten
<br /><br />Websdale, Jillings, Lovett, Savage, Egmore, Seymour, Graves, Hustler, Stannard<br />in Norfolk, Suffolk, Cambridgeshire and Lincolnshire<br />Condrit, Condrat, Condrut, Tyler, Hunter and Evans in NSW Australia

http://www.tilneyallsaintsonline.org.uk
Local History for TILNEY ALL SAINTS, Norfolk<br /><br />Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jackspratt

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 11 January 06 22:54 GMT (UK) »
You're a knockout.

Thank you very much indeed.

Put another notch in the bedpost - or wherever you record your successes.

I see there's a personal message from you. I haven't been able to access it yet but I'll figure it out.

Many thanks

Jack