Author Topic: Coin around neck  (Read 1805 times)

Offline RedCoat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Coin around neck
« on: Friday 17 September 04 14:47 BST (UK) »
What is the significance of a coin hung on a necklace around the neck, is the date on the coin special?
Davidson's of Innerleithen & Galashiels<br />Murray, Stevenson<br />Walker, Craig, Tait, Scot, Turnbull.<br />Fairfields of Gilnahirk, Co. Down Ireland<br />Morrey's from Oxfordshire<br />Collins from banbury, norwich, norfolk

Offline Jane Masri

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My back garden
    • View Profile
Re: Coin around neck
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 18 September 04 06:50 BST (UK) »
In what context, Redcoat?  On a photo?  More details please as this sounds intriquing!
Jane
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Researching BRABY/BRAVERY in SURREY and SUSSEX

PLEASE use the look-up requests page not a personal message.

Offline Nick Carver

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 20 September 04 17:03 BST (UK) »
It may be a widespread habit - my grandfather worked on Hull docks in the first three decades of the last century (as did his father before him) and I have in my possession a collection of foreign coins, many of which have a small hole in them through which a chain or something of that nature presumably was placed.  I'd be very interested in any comments that might explain it - perhaps the obvious explanation was that it was a way of keeping coins safe, but is that too obvious?
E Yorks - Carver, Steels, Cross, Maltby, Whiting, Moor, Laybourn
W Yorks - Wilkinson, Kershaw, Rawnsley, Shaw
Norfolk - Carver, Dowson
Cheshire - Berry, Cooper
Lincs - Berry
London/Ireland/Scotland/Lincs - Sullivan
Northumberland/Durham - Nicholson, Cuthbert, Turner, Robertson
Berks - May
Beds - Brownell

Offline M.T.H

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 20 September 04 17:27 BST (UK) »
What an interesting question RedCoat, :)

I guess that there could have been a number of reasons for it.

Maybe it was a way of keeping momentos of travels to faraway places, like people do today, or as Nick said, two generations of his family worked at the docks and maybe didn't have the resources to travel to these places and so coins 'given' by visiting seafarers,would,I imagine,be quite sort after.

Another thought that occured to me was whether it had its origins in the tradition of taking the King or Queens shilling when taking up a commision in the Army.As I understand it (hopefully,someone will correct me if I'm wrong) it wasn't uncommon for soldiers to have the coin sewn underneath one of the badges on their uniform.If this was the case then maybe, after they had left the Army,perhaps having had the good fortune to avoid serious injury,they kept the coin and wore it on a chain,in the belief that it was lucky.

Just a thought,Mick ;)
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

British Military History

Offline BenB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 03 October 04 20:55 BST (UK) »
Hi
Sure it is a coin and not a miners tally?
Plodding On
Researching Family names of BENNETT, CHRISMAS, STACEY, & WOOLLAMS.

Offline billgam

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 07 October 04 09:43 BST (UK) »
Hi.

10 years ago I was given my grandfathers (mothers side) pocket watch and the chain had about 30 foreign coins hanging from it some presumably from places he visited durning ww1 but others were from India and Turkey.
Prehaps your were from a watch chain and kept as a momento in a similar way..

Bill
Wiltshire/Alderbury - Gambling, Pearcey, Newman, Lucas, Thomas
Hampshire/Sussex, Gamble, Gamblen, Gamblin.
Somerset/Winscombe - Day,Ellis
Australia/Sidney/Queensland/N.S.W - Gambling
New Zealand - Gambling/Lampard

Online Willow 4873

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 22nd July 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 07 October 04 10:02 BST (UK) »
Maybe it was a superstition thing - having the fare to pay the ferryman across the river Styx?
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and is for academic and non-commercial research purposes only<br /><br />Researching: Hilton (Wolverhampton & Tamworth) , Simkiss & Mears (Wolverhampton & ?) Bowkett & Nash (Ledbury & Wolverhampton) Knight & Beard (Gloucestershire), Colley (Tibberton) Hoggins (Willenhall) Jones (Bilston), Harris & Bourne (Droitwich) Matthews (Wolverhampton & High Offley) Partridge (Monmouthshire)<br /><br /

Offline RedCoat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 03 November 04 00:31 GMT (UK) »
Well since the coin was dated 1913 and his first born son was born in 1913, we are quite certain that is what it represents, the year of his childrens birth, thanks all for your comments.
Davidson's of Innerleithen & Galashiels<br />Murray, Stevenson<br />Walker, Craig, Tait, Scot, Turnbull.<br />Fairfields of Gilnahirk, Co. Down Ireland<br />Morrey's from Oxfordshire<br />Collins from banbury, norwich, norfolk