Author Topic: Sir John Rhys and David Rees?  (Read 11439 times)

Offline MysteryGurl

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Sir John Rhys and David Rees?
« on: Wednesday 25 January 06 08:27 GMT (UK) »
I hope i am posting this in the right place

I  am searching for the Father of David Rees, David was born in 1870 . Evan Rees(1894) Married to Marg Evans, as far as I know. There is also Hugh Rees somewhere in the Picture, either a brother or maybe an uncle. David Rees was First cousin Sir John Rhys(1840-1915). Who was Sir John Rhys's parents and siblings?
David Rees Maried Jane Jones. They Had a daughter Winifred Margaret Rees(1902), who Married Arthur Meredith(1896). They are my parents. I am also searcing any of the Rees Decendants,
My mother's Brother Evan David Rees had 2 sons Ken and Clive. Clive died leaving a widow&2 daughters.
Emrys Lewellyn Rees had a son Gwyn. there were 2 Grand daughters Nicola & Lindsey Who I know nothing about.

any info would be appreciated

Ron

*JOHN RHYS, Principal of Jesus College, Oxford, Professor of Celtic.

Offline MysteryGurl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Sir John Rhys and David Rees?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 25 January 06 08:54 GMT (UK) »
sorry double post :-\

Offline piedstilt

• RootsChat Veteran
  • "Show me the way to go home ..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 26 January 06 07:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ron,

There is a bit of a biography about Sir John Rhys (a distinguished rellie!) at the link below, which gives some good clues.

http://www.rhwydwaitharchifaucymru.info/cgi-bin/anw/fulldesc_nofr?inst_id=42&coll_id=10013&expand=

You'll be able to find him on the 1881 census (look up Myfanwy Rhys), though this gives his wife as Eliza, not the Elspeth mentioned in the biography.

In 1871 he is a visitor at the home of the Rev. Robert Jones in Rotherhithe, Surrey.

I was puzzled that he didn't appear in any census records before that, and it occurred to me that as a young scholar with pretensions he may have decided that 'Rhys' was somehow posher that 'Rees' and changed his name accordingly ... Unfortunately, there are no stand-out candidates for that name either!

I'm afraid looking for a David Rees or a Hugh Rees is fairly hopeless without some place names etc. Also I'm a bit confused as to how Evan Rees (1894) fits into the picture?

There is a marriage between David Rees and Jane Jones in Dec q 1900 Aberystwth (11b/109). Can't promise it is the right one, of course ...

Cheers.

Ros

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MysteryGurl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 28 January 06 05:36 GMT (UK) »
Ok So Far. Now as far as I know My mother's Family were all born in Chlidach Vale, Rhondda. Glamorgan.

My Family tree. Starting with William Rees Born around 1830 Married unknown.
                                                                     -------------
Evan Rees born about 1850 Married  Marge  Evans. In my mothers notes this was Hugh Rees                                                 
                                                                      -----------                         
                                                  David Rees 1871           married         Jane  Jones. 1874
Their Children were Evan David Rees, Elisabeth Ellen, William Hugh, Emrys Llewllyn, Euronwy Mafanwy, Ivor Thomas,My Mother Winifred Margaret Meredith,Harold Verdun Killed, WW2.

I have a copy of a Marriage Certificate of David Rees to Jane Jones in 1900 Father being Evan Rees not Hugh Rees.
I also have a copy of a Marriage certificate My Father Arthur Meredith to Winifred Margaret Rees in 1926. David Rees being my Mother's father, married at Aberystwyth.
My Mother gave me the Marriage certificates a few years before her death and a sort of a family tree.

In regard to My Great Great Grand Parents. William Rees Married Unknown person?.  And on the note ,y mother gave me she wrote that  Mary Rees was a sister to William Rees.
John Jones Married Mary Rees, Head Master.

David Rees was 1st cousin to sir John Rees and Jane Rees, his wife Jane was also 1st cousin to Sir John Rhys who was Born
at Ponterwd. That is everything I have on the Rees side of the Family. Question is Who were John Rhys parents and who were his siblings?  David Rees must be conected in there somewhere to make him a first cousin but to who is the question.

It has been a very interesting and somewhat confusing And frustrating exercise. With all parts of the family I Now Have 142 names and still a long way to go.
Thanks for your help so far, I hope you could help some more.
Ron Meredith.

Offline MysteryGurl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 29 January 06 22:11 GMT (UK) »
There is a marriage between David Rees and Jane Jones in Dec q 1900 Aberystwyth (11b/109). Can't promise it is the right one, of course

Yes that is the one.  Thanks.

Before the marriage David Rees lived at 4 Marian street Clydach Vale, he was a coal miner
and Jane Jones lived 16 pier street Aberystwyth

But where did they live after they were married Aber or Clydach vale?

Offline MysteryGurl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 29 January 06 22:19 GMT (UK) »
I tried looking up John Rhys daughters to see who they married but came up with nothing using the online cencus thing at ancestry.com. 

What i did find doing search on myfanwy on google was this, its rather interesting
http://www.gtj.org.uk/item.php?lang=en&id=9982&t=6

Offline piedstilt

• RootsChat Veteran
  • "Show me the way to go home ..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 30 January 06 02:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ron,

I found the following marriage, though I'm vague about Welsh geography and not sure if it is in the right sort of area:

Jun q 1869 Machynlleth,11b/303
EVANS    Margaret            
REES    Evan

Think that's about the best I can do.

The only other thought I have is that Sir John Rhys was born in 1840 and David Rees in 1871 (Jane Jones in 1874). This seems a very large gap in ages for first cousins?

Cheers,

ROs

PS Thanks for the intro to the Jewel ini the Crown website - fascinating!

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MysteryGurl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 30 January 06 03:22 GMT (UK) »
Jun q 1869 Machynlleth,11b/303
EVANS    Margaret           
REES    Evan

HMMM could be.  In regard to geography, Machynlleth is in Montgomery north of Cardigan not to far from Aberystwyth where Davis Rees married Jane.

The only other thought I have is that Sir John Rhys was born in 1840 and David Rees in 1871 (Jane Jones in 1874). This seems a very large gap in ages for first cousins?

you are right about the cousin the ages are way off didn't think about that.  Maybe he was a cousin to Evan rees not David.  I am going by my mothers memory at 90 something years old lol.  She had written on a peice of paper that sir John was cousin to David.

Its all very confusing.  I think i will give up on linking John Rhys in for now.

Offline GeralltCymro

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 27 December 10 21:55 GMT (UK) »
It wasn't about "Rhys" being more "posh" than "Rees".
Rees is an anglicised version of the surname. Sir John Rhys changed his name to return it to it's original form with a Welsh language spelling.

Hi Ron,

There is a bit of a biography about Sir John Rhys (a distinguished rellie!) at the link below, which gives some good clues.

http://www.rhwydwaitharchifaucymru.info/cgi-bin/anw/fulldesc_nofr?inst_id=42&coll_id=10013&expand=

You'll be able to find him on the 1881 census (look up Myfanwy Rhys), though this gives his wife as Eliza, not the Elspeth mentioned in the biography.

In 1871 he is a visitor at the home of the Rev. Robert Jones in Rotherhithe, Surrey.

I was puzzled that he didn't appear in any census records before that, and it occurred to me that as a young scholar with pretensions he may have decided that 'Rhys' was somehow posher that 'Rees' and changed his name accordingly ... Unfortunately, there are no stand-out candidates for that name either!

I'm afraid looking for a David Rees or a Hugh Rees is fairly hopeless without some place names etc. Also I'm a bit confused as to how Evan Rees (1894) fits into the picture?

There is a marriage between David Rees and Jane Jones in Dec q 1900 Aberystwth (11b/109). Can't promise it is the right one, of course ...

Cheers.

Ros