Author Topic: Sir John Rhys and David Rees?  (Read 11440 times)

Offline GeralltCymro

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Sir John Rhys and David Rees?
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 28 December 10 22:35 GMT (UK) »
I'm currently trying to find the link in my wife's familiy to Sir John Rhys (formerly Rees). In the early 1900s, her grandmother, Mary Jane Jenkins, was told by the chapel minister that she was related to Sir John. Mary Jane's mother was Elisabeth Rees (1876 - 1960) & her father was Thomas Rees (1821 - 1899).
I know that Thomas's father was Hugh Rees, who died at Sgybor y Coed in 1861, but as yet I cannot find the link with Sir John's family. although they were clearly part of the same Rees family of the Fwrnais, Talybont, Nant y Moch, Ponterwyd area.

Sir John had an elder sister, margaret, who was ~9 years old when Sir John was born. In the 1841 census, the family is incorrectly transcribed onto the Ancestry.com search engine as "Rus": Hugh Rus, Jane Rus, Margaret Rus & John Rus.

John's parents, Hugh Rees & Jane Mazon were married in 1837. We have the marriage certificate showing that Hugh was born ~1809 & his father is recorded as David Rees, farmer.  We also have birth certificates of John & his siblings, showing that Hugh was an agricultural labourer, a farmer & at one point a lead-miner.

Offline wheldon

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 11 October 12 12:30 BST (UK) »
Sir John married Eliza Hughes Davies in 1872. Eliza was born in Llanberis, and later presents her name as Elspeth. Does anyone know who her parents were, and where in Llanberis was she born? I have a distant relative with the Rhys family on the 1881 census. Diolch

Offline JemTynrhos

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 26 November 23 16:08 GMT (UK) »
Shw'mae Pawb.

I know it's a very long time since you posted this, but we've discovered a lot more about the link between the Rees family of Cwm Einion / Eglwys Fach' and the Rees family of Sir John Rees/Rhys of Ponterwyd. They both have their origins in Nant y Moch (a long time before the reservoir) and we have a family tree.
Let me know if you'd like some information.

Yn gywir,

Jem.