Author Topic: Jones / Corbett murder at Caer Bragdy  (Read 6928 times)

Offline Ange39nz

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Jones / Corbett murder at Caer Bragdy
« on: Wednesday 25 January 06 19:09 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

I'm not so sure of my Welsh geography I'm afraid, but I think this is in the general local area. 

In March 1931 my paternal grandfather, WILLIAM JOHN CORBETT had a sort of breakdown and murdered my grandmother ETHEL LOUISA (nee JONES) by cutting her throat with a razor.  He then went into the MARDY WOODS(?) and attempted to commit suicide before being found by the local constable, WILLIAM BOWEN. He went to the gallows for the crime in August of that year.  The address where the tragedy took place was:

48 CAER BRAGDY (off LAWRENCE STREET), Glamorgan.  I'm very curious to know if the house still stands. 

Also, my grandmother is apparantly buried at PENYRHEOL CEMETERY.   Although it's the opposite end of the world for me, my hope is that one day I'll be able to take my father's ashes (he died December 2004) and scatter them near where his mother was laid to rest.

I've written further details of the events on the Wales - General board and would love to know if I have any living relatives.
Especially looking for CORBETT / JONES connections.  Would love to find living relatives on my father's side.  Mother's side: HOLDING, GILBY, EVANS, WILDING etc. Have tree on Genes Reunited.

Offline pritchard

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Jones / Corbett murder at Caer Bragdy
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 25 January 06 20:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi.     Lawrence Street is in Caerphilly,10 miles north of Cardiff.Not sure whether Caer Bragdy St.is still standing but will take a stroll down that way and find out for you.Penyrheol Cemetery is also close at hand and if you can let me know if your grandmother s grave had a headstone I.ll see whether I can find it.

I'm not a local so wouldn,t know if you have any relatives still living but who knows what may surface.
By the way if you log on to www.murderfile.net it gives a full account of the curcumstances surrounding the case

Regards Hugh[Pritchard]

Offline Ange39nz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 25 January 06 23:46 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Hugh.  It sounds like you're a local.  I originally googled my grandparents' names when I came across my father's birth certificate about a year ago (he died December 2004) and came up with Murderfile.net.  I contacted the author of the book on executions and he kindly e-mailed me the entire chapter of the case and put me onto the British Library.  The British Library was very helpful in providing newspaper reports of the time.  My father never provided any information about his family.  He was always...er..."eccentric" and distant.  We just assumed it had been because he'd been a POW of the Japanese.

I don't know if my grandmother has a head stone or not.  They were in the depression and my grandfather had lost his job at the collery so I dont' think they had much money.  According to the newspaper reports on the court case, that's what sent him over the edge of despair. However, the case rocked the community and she had a very big funeral.  Her name was Ethel Louisa Corbett (Jones by birth).  I now  have names of family members gathered from newspaper reports, census, etc.

My goal is to one day take my father's ashes to his mother's grave and scatter them there.  I live in New Zealand and still have young children though so it's still a way off for me.

I hope your own family research is going well?

Many thanks
Angela
Especially looking for CORBETT / JONES connections.  Would love to find living relatives on my father's side.  Mother's side: HOLDING, GILBY, EVANS, WILDING etc. Have tree on Genes Reunited.

Offline pritchard

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 27 January 06 15:29 GMT (UK) »
Hello Angela,

As promised I took a stroll down Lawrence Street and no. 48 Bragdy St. still exists.It is as you mentioned a bungalow but is currently having work done to the frontage which has changed the appearance slightly.I have however taken a photo for you if you wish to have it but you will need to let me have your E mail address as there are restrictions to the size of photos you can send via Rootschat [unless I am doing it wrong!!!!!]

If you would like any futher help in your research please let me know

Hugh [Pritchard]

Offline Ange39nz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 29 January 06 20:29 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks to you Hugh for going out of your way for me to have the photograph.  It's wonderful to actually see my family history come alive. It may be in my 20 year plan but I hope I can thank you personally one day when I come to see all of this for myself. :D

Offline Tiffanyself

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Evelyne Elizabeth Self
« Reply #5 on: Friday 24 July 09 19:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Angela

Not sure if you still check this site. My name is Tiffany and I am Evelyne's daughter. You can contact me at (*)

Speak with you soon, hopefully

Tiffany

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline ossiej

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 17 September 09 12:47 BST (UK) »
Hi angy

I read with great interest your item regarding the above murder. I have just started to research my family tree in earnest and have some information about the family particularly the Tredegar connection which you may be interested in.

gaga

Offline Elizzy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 22 October 09 17:58 BST (UK) »
Many thanks to you Hugh for going out of your way for me to have the photograph.  It's wonderful to actually see my family history come alive. It may be in my 20 year plan but I hope I can thank you personally one day when I come to see all of this for myself. :D

Offline Elizzy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 22 October 09 18:02 BST (UK) »
Hello Angela

I am just finding my way around this whole computer thing. I am not sure where this is all going, but it's most interesting. I would like to know more about you and your sibblings. I think Tiffany said there is a sister here in Canada.

Regards. Evelyne.