Author Topic: emigrants to Korea  (Read 1917 times)

Offline little meg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
emigrants to Korea
« on: Thursday 26 January 06 04:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,
could someone please tell me where I might find any details for shipping etc of persons who went to Korea, possibly missionary. Or any site for Korean archives which might give details of deaths there.
thanks
margaret
Simpson-Kildwick,Yorkshire & Australia, Overend-Sutton, Kildwick,Yorkshire & Australia, Whitaker - Cononley/Yorkshire, Pickard - Silsden/Yorkshire, Howarth - Skipton/Yorkshire and Lancashire, Heaton-Yorkshire, Preston-Yorkshire, Myers-Yorkshire & Australia, Wild-Yorkshire & Australia. Storey-Middlesex/Australia

Offline piedstilt

• RootsChat Veteran
  • "Show me the way to go home ..."
    • View Profile
Re: emigrants to Korea
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 26 January 06 07:38 GMT (UK) »
Oh dear, sounds difficult. Suggest you thrash your search engine. Do you want to give us some names and details so we can all have a go?

Ros
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline little meg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 26 January 06 08:09 GMT (UK) »
hi,
well this is the difficult part, and I was hoping any shipping details might enlighten me, or death records.  ???
Firstly we have a Rev. Robert Simpson b. c. 1847, Kildwick, Yks and was still in England for 1901 census, and is also listed in Clergy list for 1907.
We also have a William Sidebottom, independant minister, last seen in 1881 census.  William had a son Richard.
A photo, kept by a family member, shows a gentleman sitting next to a korean (standing) taken in Korea. On the back it says "Uncle Richard".  who was a missionary in Korea and was killed there.  Other family names could be Laycock and Smith but it is very difficult as we cannot find a Richard in any of our files and indexs that match.
The photographer appears to be either :  L. Dois or T. Dois or Doig. there is also asian writing next to it.
It appears to be around the early 1900's, but purely a guess only.
I don't think any of this will help, but perhaps gives some idea of date.
thanks appreciate the effort
margaret
Simpson-Kildwick,Yorkshire & Australia, Overend-Sutton, Kildwick,Yorkshire & Australia, Whitaker - Cononley/Yorkshire, Pickard - Silsden/Yorkshire, Howarth - Skipton/Yorkshire and Lancashire, Heaton-Yorkshire, Preston-Yorkshire, Myers-Yorkshire & Australia, Wild-Yorkshire & Australia. Storey-Middlesex/Australia

Offline piedstilt

• RootsChat Veteran
  • "Show me the way to go home ..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 26 January 06 09:25 GMT (UK) »
Oh dear again!

Afraid I've had no luck with my googling, apart from coming up with a general thing about the C of E in Korea:

http://www.mundus.ac.uk/cats/45/1152.htm

But if William Sidebottom was an independent minister he probably wasn't C of E?

When and where were William and Richard Sidebottom born (ie 1881 census reference?)

What is the connection between the Sidebottoms and Rev Simpson?

Ros
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline little meg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 26 January 06 10:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ros,
Thanks,will check out that site later.
regarding the Sidebottoms. 
Isabella simpson, sister to Robert Simpson married William Sidebottom.
The 1881 census (sidebothom) has william age 33 born Lowmoor, yorkshire.
Richard H (Henry)Sidebottom, Williams son, born Biggleswade , Bedford age 6. The census was in Higher Row, Maker, Cornwall, England.
Robert and Isabella had a sister Betty Simpson who married a Smith.  all 3 children (Robert, Isabella, and Betty Simpson) appear to be raised by the Laycock grandparents.
I have been checking the search engines but nothing is coming of it, even checked the photographer but having no luck there either.
Oh dear is right.  ;D
Margaret