Author Topic: Old Kilpatrick Cemetery.  (Read 55982 times)

Offline king ranger

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Old Kilpatrick Cemetery.
« Reply #81 on: Wednesday 29 May 13 12:56 BST (UK) »
Thanks Norman,it is the pauper part that has me worried there might be no headstone to find in Oldkilpatrick.As a pauper who would have paid for the funeral, the state might have done so but i have a doubt if they would have paid for Alex to be taken from Larbert to Oldkilpatrick, in 1927 that would not have been the easy journey it is today. Then there is the cost of paying for a headstone which even in 1927 were not cheap.But as you say the family might have got help from the Legion so i will remain optimistic we will find him in Oldkilpatrick.

Offline Norman Dunn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: Wednesday 29 May 13 14:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Colin,
I agree with everything you say. Paupers  definitely wouldn't have gravestones. The only way he'd have one is if  the British Legion helped out.

I wish we could find his records in the Army. My son looked on a website & found half a dozen Alexander Dunn's but no birth dates . He was born in 1885 so when WW1 started he'd be 29 ish. Thanks for all the trouble you are taking. Much appreciated.
Norman

Offline king ranger

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: Wednesday 29 May 13 15:03 BST (UK) »
Norman i am just back from Falkirk Camelon Cemetery the office has all deaths in Larbert ,Falkirk area. The women searched for him but according to their records no such person has been buried in Falkirk or Larbert.So looks like he may have been taken home after all. If my memory serves me right Oldkilpatrick is a large graveyard but with luck and my daughter helping we might manage to cover it all on Friday.                     
                                        Colin

Offline Norman Dunn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: Wednesday 29 May 13 15:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Colin,
Thank you for checking out the Falkirk /Larbert area for Alexander Dunn's  death. Its good to know he must be in his hometown.

I honestly don't want you & your daughter running round Old Kilpatrick cemetery for me. That is too much . Old Kilpatrick  must have death records & can probably be accessed via a Family History site ..

Offline king ranger

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: Wednesday 29 May 13 19:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Norman as far as i am aware Old Kilpatricks records are held in Clydebank,i go around Scotland taking photo's of ww1 headstones  as a hobbie.When i did Oldkilpatrick i did not have a list of names with me and as it turned out i missed about 4 graves ,i will try to get them on Friday as we search for Alexander.
                                          Colin

Offline Norman Dunn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: Wednesday 29 May 13 20:43 BST (UK) »
Thanks Colin
You are doing a great job going round Scotland photographing WW1 headstones. I appreciate you helping me but please don't spend too much time looking . I'm sure there will records somewhere that I can access..
I might not be able to post a reply to Friday's post because I'm away Friday afternoon  until Sunday but I'll certainly reply asap.
Many thanks Colin,
NORMAN DUNN

Offline king ranger

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: Thursday 30 May 13 19:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Norman it was such a lovely afternoon that we headed down to Oldkilpatrick to do our search. Sorry to say not only did we not find Alexander we found no Dunns in the cemetery at all.We went round it twice just incase, we checked all the large headstones but also thought it would be more likely be on a small plaque with Alex being a pauper ,but found nothing at all. There are loads of what looks like graves that have no headstones which could be where Alexander is.We even looked for a plaque saying names of people buried in cemetery without headstones which i have seen in some places but no joy either. All i can suggest if you want to write to the offices in Clydebank and find out for sure if Alexander is there and get his grave number you can contact me at Seivy@aol.com and we will pop through and arrange a photograph of some kind.
                                 Colin

Offline Norman Dunn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: Thursday 30 May 13 19:34 BST (UK) »
Hello again Colin,
What a lovely person you are taking the trouble to look round gravestones for a stranger like me. Many many thanks for your fantastic help. I've just joined for a month with Ancestry.co.uk & I'm busy looking through my Dunn family that were born in OK. I've found that McDougal's are researching as well & I knew that Alexander's sister married a Joe McDougal so I might just get the info from one of them. I've added comments & my email address so hopefully I'll get a bit further with this mystery. Once I get some good info I'll post it on here Colin.
MANY thanks, you are a great man.
NORMAN

Offline king ranger

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: Thursday 30 May 13 19:42 BST (UK) »
Only to glad to try and help anybody that fought through the Hell that was ww1 deserves more than Alexander appears to have got. I just Mentioned about the McDougal side to Tracey and we both bust out laughing as there are loads of them in the Graveyard.
                            Colin.