Author Topic: Problems viewing FreeBMD scans  (Read 3041 times)

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
Problems viewing FreeBMD scans
« on: Tuesday 21 September 04 12:44 BST (UK) »
I have never managed to view any image on freeBMD. The only way I can see is so laborious it would take a long time to find and view one.
Obviously there is a simple way as it says we can view images. Some kind person tell me how? I am fairly computer literate so I acnnot see why I alone have this problem.
Southern or Southan [Hereford , Monmouthshire & Glos], Jenkins, Meredith and Morgan [Monmouthshire and Glos.], Murrill, Damary, Damry, Ray, Lawrence [all Middx. & London], Nethway from Kenn or Yatton. Also Riley and Lyons in South Africa and Riley from St. Helena.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Problems after search results with FreeBMD ??
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 21 September 04 12:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Hackstaple,

just for clarification, how far did you get ?

If you entered the data right the last request is for page number, with a choice of "Display as PDF file", "...GIF..." "...JPG file", or "...TIFF file"

Did you get that far, or are your problems sooner ?

Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 21 September 04 12:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Bob
Let me confess. I got that far and chose any page at random, not having any particular record in mind. I have chosen all of those at times - without any success. Frankly, I have no idea which to choose, nor where the saved image should go nor even what page I am looking for when I have drilled my way down the hierarchy. I would have thought one could simply view the image without saving it to another programme.
Hackstaple
Southern or Southan [Hereford , Monmouthshire & Glos], Jenkins, Meredith and Morgan [Monmouthshire and Glos.], Murrill, Damary, Damry, Ray, Lawrence [all Middx. & London], Nethway from Kenn or Yatton. Also Riley and Lyons in South Africa and Riley from St. Helena.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 21 September 04 13:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Hackstaple,

I tend to save the GIF image in the default location (usually 'my pictures') with the default name, and Drag & Drop from there to IRFANVIEW.
If I then decide I want to keep it, i rename it and later move all saved files to their "final resting place"

you can get irfanview at www.irfanview.com

I just tried it out, and it worked, but I chose (at random) a blank page. I think they have a lot of these where they haven't finished scanning the data yet.
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Andy_D

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 21 September 04 13:09 BST (UK) »
HI Hackstaple...

Try jpg ( joint photographic group )  to download the image...if you are on dial up like me, it will take about 5mins to download...Tiff would be so big ( uncompressed image ) and gif is about twice as large file size as jpg.

jpg works for me but try and have all other progs closed while downloading   ;)

cheers
Andy

edit....I'll try that too Bob  :)
Names: Badman, Courtney, Davis, Fitton Greenslade,  Haytor, Hyde, Martin, Turner, Williams, Yates.
Places: Ainsworth, Pilkington ( Lancs) Henstridge (Somerset )

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Problems viewing FreeBMD scans
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 21 September 04 13:22 BST (UK) »
You sure about that, Andy ?
I just downloaded the same image as GIF (141180 bytes) and as JPG (770539 bytes) !

I read somewhere that GIF is the smallest because it doesn't have the same colour possibilities as JPG, and for a black & white image, who needs 'em !

Just out of curiosity, I started again from scratch:

I chose an image at random and downloaded every variant.

Results were

TIF    51,080 bytes
PDF   52,222 bytes
GIF   124,530 bytes
JPG   682,027 bytes

All 3 graphic files were viewable with IRFANVIEW.

I'm glad you said that, Andy, I shall go for TIFF in future !

Offline Andy_D

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Problems viewing FreeBMD scans
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 21 September 04 13:32 BST (UK) »
 :o :o

I wish there was a smiley for scratching my head!!!.....I will try it out ..........Thks  :)

.......edit:  I tried out tif but dial up isn't kind here so it aborted the download.....I'll have to stick to jpg as its the only one that does allow me to download....( without an additional prog other than windows own )  :-[
Names: Badman, Courtney, Davis, Fitton Greenslade,  Haytor, Hyde, Martin, Turner, Williams, Yates.
Places: Ainsworth, Pilkington ( Lancs) Henstridge (Somerset )