Author Topic: Cross - Sible Hedingham  (Read 1816 times)

Offline clairec

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Cross - Sible Hedingham
« on: Thursday 02 February 06 03:00 GMT (UK) »
Looking for ANY info on a David Cross, possibly born in Wakefield, or essex Sible Hedingham.  Born somewhere between 1840-1850.  He was a malster (spelling?), and had a middle name, but I am not sure what it is, as the document it is on is very old and the script writing is hard to read.  He had a son named Charles Henry Cross, who was also a malster and born in Sible Hedingham.  Charles married Eliza Lofthouse.  That is all the relevant information I have, any more anyone can get me would be fantastic.
Lofthouse, Cross, Pine and Hull.  All around the Yorkshire area.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Cross - Sible Hedingham
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 04 February 06 00:38 GMT (UK) »
The only David Cross on the Yorkshire 1851 was b Hull 1848. None b Essex

When was Charles born?

What was Charles mothers name?

have you looked for the family on the 1881 census which is free at www.familysearch.org or www.ancestry.co.uk

A copy of Charles birth cert will show his mothers maiden name which will then enable you to find his parents marriage.  A copy of his parents marriage cert will give you David's age at that time and his fathers name which should make it easier to find him on the 1851 census

The FULL BMD index is now available to search free of charge at www.ancestry.co.uk.  You will find it described as England & Wales, BMD Index (Beta)

The partial index (freebmd) can also be searched on the same website or at http://freebmd.rootsweb.com

Copy certificates can be obtained online at www.gro.gov.uk

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline clairec

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 07 February 06 01:44 GMT (UK) »
I have been on Ancestry.co.uk on the BMD index, and I can find an Eliza Lofthouse married in 1915 (which is correct, i have the marriage certificate).  However I can't find Charles Henry Cross - it is as if he has been wiped from the records.  He was born around 1893, died around 1950 and married in 1915 (to Eliza).  Nothing comes up on him anywhere.  Very frustrating.

Offline clairec

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 07 February 06 01:46 GMT (UK) »
I found Eliza's siblings and parents, even a step sister (i am a bit confused as some of my information conflicts in regards to her siblings - but at least I know they all lived in Sowerby). I found Eliza's birth, haven't checked up on her death, but I feel I don't need to just yet.  How can all her details be there but not Charles Henry?  His father was David Cross, he has a middle name but I can't read it on the certificate - old and tattered script writing.  It is so bizarre.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 07 February 06 13:59 GMT (UK) »
If Charles Cross was only born approx 1893 - why do you think his father David would have been born so far back as 1840-50?  That would have made him 53-63 when Charles was born?

Charles should be on the 1901 census which is now free at www.ancestry.co.uk

You say you have the marriage cert for Charles and Eliza - what was the exact date of marriage and how old was Charles at that time.  Is this the same document you have his fathers name on?

What documentation do you have that proves Charles was b Sible Hedingham or any part of Yorkshire and not elsewhere
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline clairec

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 10 February 06 23:19 GMT (UK) »
Sorry about that!  Slight confuzzleness on my behalf there.

Charles Henry Cross was born around 1894 (he was married in 1915, and he was 21 in 1915 - that's what his marriage certificate says - there is no specific birth date) making his father born only around 1870, I've got all this information in front of me for Eliza and her father and stuff, and I got confused with some dates.  Apologies.

As I said - I couldn't find Charles Henry on tje 1901 census, I don't know why.
Thanks

Claire

Offline clairec

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 10 February 06 23:22 GMT (UK) »
No proof yet as to where Charles Henry was born, I have been speaking to my Grandfather who has been telling me all about where he was born and his father and what not.

On the Charles Henry Cross marriage certificate it has the exact date of marriage, and Charles' father's name on there, which is David.  David also has a middle name, but I can not make it out, nor can I make out what his occupation is.  I have been told that Charles was a labourer, and also a malster (spelling?), and there was something about a curator as well, and these occupations could include David also, but I have to write down these details better next time I speak to him.  As I say, no proof, just things my Grandad has told me.

Thanks again

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 10 February 06 23:57 GMT (UK) »
Was Charles Henry the firstborn?  If there were older siblings, it would push David's birth year further back

Offline Lynnethornton

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 21 January 18 10:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi Clare just looking to do my family tree, and my mother was Joyce lofthouse and her dad was Edwin lofthouse, he had the coal merchants in Sowerby thirsk.
Would be nice to talk to you regarding any more info on the family tree.

Kind regards lynne thornton