Author Topic: Daguerreotype 'photo  (Read 9738 times)

Offline pammyw

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Daguerreotype 'photo
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 02 February 06 21:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi Romilly, yes it does look the same, I think I need a lesson in attachments The file was too big to do it in colour and you have to click to open the picture, never mind got there in the end.
Pam
Mackenzie, Smith, Oxley all Northumberland. Masters Glos. Wilkins Berks. Vowles Bristol. Griffiths Forest of Dean.

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 02 February 06 21:42 GMT (UK) »
Pam,

If you save the pic as a JPG, - it'll take up less space. Also, you need to make it 300 or less to post on here.

Like you, I'd like to know how much they cost...My G/Grandfather was a Copperman & presumably didn't earn much.

Best Wishes, Romilly.
PS. Just downloaded your pic, - what a beautiful photo!!
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline pammyw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 02 February 06 21:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi Romilly
Thanks for that, Yes it is a nice picture, hard to believe that the sweet innocent bride was tried for murder 18 months before! found not guilty for the murder of her child, really through a technicality, the child was alive when the police found the baby but died a few hours later. hence she did not murder the baby, the baby's father (a married man) committed suicide. My only exciting ancestor to date.
pam
Mackenzie, Smith, Oxley all Northumberland. Masters Glos. Wilkins Berks. Vowles Bristol. Griffiths Forest of Dean.

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 02 February 06 22:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi Romilly
Thanks for that, Yes it is a nice picture, hard to believe that the sweet innocent bride was tried for murder 18 months before! found not guilty for the murder of her child, really through a technicality, the child was alive when the police found the baby but died a few hours later. hence she did not murder the baby, the baby's father (a married man) committed suicide. My only exciting ancestor to date.
pam

Gosh Pam,

How fascinating!! None of mine are as interesting as that, - just the odd bit of bigamy & suicide... ;)

Which part of the country were your G/Grandparents from?

Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline pammyw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 02 February 06 22:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi, all that branch of the family from Great Rissington, Glostershire, lucky for me been there since 17 something and some still live there.

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 02 February 06 22:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi, all that branch of the family from Great Rissington, Glostershire, lucky for me been there since 17 something and some still live there.

Oh...lucky you, Pam,

Mine had itchy feet, - & ducked & dived all over the place! ;D ;D

Cheers, Romilly.
Researching:

Offline pammyw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 02 February 06 22:32 GMT (UK) »
 Hi Romilly I see you have Rees family in Wales, I haven't been brave enough yet to do my Griffiths in Wales.
Pam

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 02 February 06 22:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi Romilly I see you have Rees family in Wales, I haven't been brave enough yet to do my Griffiths in Wales.
Pam

LOL...at least we're not looking for Jones's! ;D

Btw, - I'm still hoping that someone on here will be able to tell us how Coppermen & Ag Labs could afford those fancy glass pics...

Romilly.
Researching:

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 03 February 06 00:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,
This is a great thread!  Those are some seriously nice photographs, and in such  beautiful condition. You are very lucky people, and I'm insanely envious!!  ;D

Romilly is right, they are more correctly known as "wet collodion positives on glass" (the Ambrotype was a patended variation on this process) - I found this article about them:  http://www.rleggat.com/photohistory/history/ambrotyp.htm

Here's a bit from the same website about daguerreotypes:  http://www.rleggat.com/photohistory/history/daguerro.htm - it shows at the end how much daguerreotypes would have cost; unfortunately the ambrotype article doesn't have that info  :-\  I'll see if I can find that elsewhere.

Thank you for sharing the photos with us!   :D

Prue