Author Topic: My Elusive Kelly Ancestors  (Read 5441 times)

Offline Inez

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my
    • View Profile
My Elusive Kelly Ancestors
« on: Saturday 17 January 04 15:28 GMT (UK) »
My grandfather, Patrick KELLY was born in Killane, Ballon, Co. Carlow on January 23 or 26, 1863. I have not been able to find a record of his birth. :'(  His parents were John KELLY, s/o Patrick KELLY and Brigid MURPHY, and Johanna CLEAR, d/o Thomas CLEAR and Mary NOWLAN/NOLAN. Patrick emigrated to Canada in 1873 and had, according to records I have found, spent some time in the Carlow Poorhouse with two or three of his siblings. Are there any records of the names of the children who were in the Poorhouse between 1870 and 1873 ??? Thanks muchly..
Hello everyone -  I'm researching my KELLY / CLEAR ancestors in Co. Carlow, and SAVAGE / SCULLION in Antrim. It would be wonderful to find cousins. The KELLYs left Carlow about 1870, and the SAVAGEs emigrated from Belfast about 1850. Both families settled in Canada.

Offline Ticker

• User is no longer receiving email notifications.
  • RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Follow me on twitter @ShaunTymon.
    • View Profile
Re: My Elusive Kelly Ancestors
« Reply #1 on: Friday 24 December 04 17:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi Inez

Sorry we haven't been able to help you so far on this one. 

Have you made any progress,  or do you have any further details that could help someone to find what you are looking for?

Look forward to hearing from you.

Best wishes 

Ticker
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Inez

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 25 December 04 03:21 GMT (UK) »
Hello Ticker - Thanks for looking, sounds as though you are having as much luck finding my Kelly Family as I have had. I have no new information, just some I didn't post earlier.
My gr-grandfather, John Kelly emigrated between 1869-1871, County Carlow to Quebec, Canada, supposedly accompanied by his oldest child, either his daughter Mary Ann or his son Peter.  His wife, Johanna (Clear) Kelly apparently followed a year or so later. All the children who came to Canada, except my grandfather Patrick, died in an epidemic in 1873, and are buried with their father (John) in St. Camillus R.C. Cemetery, Farrelton, Quebec. Johanna died in Quebec before 1875, I have not been able to find her yet.
John's parents may have been Patrick Kelly and Brigid Murphy. John may have been illegitimate.  John's uncle Peter Kelly was the last in a line of three tenancies at Killane, Ballon, Co. Carlow where John and his family were living prior to emigration. The landlord was James Leckie/Lecky. There may also have been an Aunt Ann Kelly and an Uncle James Kelly who both died about 1864. There was also an Aunt Brigid Kelly who may have been a nurse or midwife. . Johanna's parents were Thomas Clear and Mary Nolan/Nowlan of Kilconnor. She had an uncle  Michael Nolan.

John Kelly and Johanna Clear were married 01 July, 1858, St. Andrew's, Bagenalstown, Co. Carlow.

...And that's about all the information I have on my Kelly Family from County Carlow. I appreciate any information of any kind which comes my way. Thanks
Inez
Hello everyone -  I'm researching my KELLY / CLEAR ancestors in Co. Carlow, and SAVAGE / SCULLION in Antrim. It would be wonderful to find cousins. The KELLYs left Carlow about 1870, and the SAVAGEs emigrated from Belfast about 1850. Both families settled in Canada.

Offline Kelly 17

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 26 June 06 10:34 BST (UK) »
I dont know if its too late for you I only found this today I am a Kelly from Carlow  and some of your names match ones I recognuse