Author Topic: newton family.  (Read 6589 times)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
Re: newton family.
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 07 April 18 15:35 BST (UK) »
Possible Marriage for Susannahs Parents;
9 April 1797,Deal, Kent, Thomas MOON to Sarah BROUGHTON

Burial;
George SMITH: age 45 (1803)   
19 September 1848   Great Mongeham, Kent, England, United Kingdom
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline AJ100

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 08 April 18 15:28 BST (UK) »
Expanding on what trish1120 has so helpfully provided, Sarah Fittall was baptised in Great Mongeham (village just outside Deal) on 5/2/1832 to George & Susanna Fittall, Labourer, one of 6 children. George married Susanna Moon in Great Mongeham on 14/10/1828, Robert and Henrietta Fittall were witnesses.

Regards

AJ

Offline AJ100

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 09 April 18 15:05 BST (UK) »
Update on Newton emigrants:
Edward Newton sailed on the White Star Line ship 'Mystery' 1069 tons from London to Lyttleton, New Zealand departing 15 December 1858 arriving Lyttleton 20 March 1859.
There were two families of Newtons:
John Henry Newton 32 Mariner of Deal
Jane                      32
John Henry              7
Rachel A                  5
Isaac                       3
William R                 1

Edward Newton      30 Mariner of Deal (St Andrew's)
Sarah                    27
Joseph Edward         4
James Henry            3
Henry                      9 months

They sailed in company with other Deal Mariners and their families: Bowbyes, Bowles, Clayson, Cory, Roberts, Rogers, wilds and Wyman.

AJ

Offline Kirsty Edwards

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 09 April 18 23:43 BST (UK) »
Update on Newton emigrants:
Edward Newton sailed on the White Star Line ship 'Mystery' 1069 tons from London to Lyttleton, New Zealand departing 15 December 1858 arriving Lyttleton 20 March 1859.
There were two families of Newtons:
John Henry Newton 32 Mariner of Deal
Jane                      32
John Henry              7
Rachel A                  5
Isaac                       3
William R                 1

Edward Newton      30 Mariner of Deal (St Andrew's)
Sarah                    27
Joseph Edward         4
James Henry            3
Henry                      9 months

They sailed in company with other Deal Mariners and their families: Bowbyes, Bowles, Clayson, Cory, Roberts, Rogers, wilds and Wyman.

AJ

Hi all,

Edward Prebble Newton was my 3xgreat grandfather. John Henry was his brother. Both brothers and their families were meant to come to New Zealand in 1858, on the ship MYSTERY but John's family had small pox and scarlet fever and were put off the boat at Gravesend, England They came instead in 1859 on the ship VICTORY.

Immigration
14 May 1859 • Lyttelton Harbour, Canterbury
S.S 'Victory' Gravesend (20 Jan 1859) to Lyttelton (14 May 1859) Sailed 20th January 1859 Arrived 14th May 1859 at Lyttelton NEWTON JANE 32 NEWTON JOHN HENRY 32 NEWTON JOHN HENRY 7 NEWTON RACHEL 5 NEWTON ISAAC S. 3 NEWTON WILLIAM R. 1

Offline AJ100

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 11 April 18 11:44 BST (UK) »
Hello Kirsty

Thank you for the update on the Newton emigration. I had a vague idea one family had travelled later but I couldn't remember which one.
There were thirteen boatmen and their families - six Government funded and the remaining seven self-funded. The Newtons were the latter. Omitted from my list were the families of Gardner, Hayman and Wyman. They boarded the 'Mystery' at Charing Cross, the 'Mystery' making the first journey of this kind and under the command of a Captain Matthews. There were about 320 people on board from all walks of life.
She docked at Gravesend for supplies and for the last chance for passengers to go ashore. Some families were landed here as symptoms of smallpox were discovered and scarlet fever was spreading fast. She anchored in the Downs (off Deal) and called for help from Deal. She was there for several days before continuing her journey. This took over eighty days, a fast time, apparently, but by the time she reached Lyttleton disease has caused the 'Mystery' to fly the yellow fever flag and thus be put into quarantine.
Once ashore, the Deal families, amongst others were housed in the nearby barracks then set about unloading the ship. The self-funded families found immediate employment doing what boatmen did in Deal.
The self-funded boatmen established a fishery in Lyttleton in 1861 but two years later went bankrupt as fishing was not a familiar occupation for Deal boatmen.
Edward Newton moved to Timaru and became a fisherman. His wife Sarah sought a protection order against him in addition to custody of their children but both cases were withdrawn. After suffering some serious accidents, Edward moved to Gisborne, where he died aged 87.
John Newton died at the age of 93. He entered public service before returning to being a boatman for Lyttleton Harbour Board. He retired at 75. When he died he left 5 sons, 2 daughters, 28 grandchildren and 45 great-grandchildren.
Hope this is of interest. I have left out the details of the privations of the voyage, sticking only to the Newton-related facts.

Regards

AJ

Offline oots

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 11 April 18 14:19 BST (UK) »
Hello Kirsty

Thank you for the update on the Newton emigration. I had a vague idea one family had travelled later but I couldn't remember which one.
There were thirteen boatmen and their families - six Government funded and the remaining seven self-funded. The Newtons were the latter. Omitted from my list were the families of Gardner, Hayman and Wyman. They boarded the 'Mystery' at Charing Cross, the 'Mystery' making the first journey of this kind and under the command of a Captain Matthews. There were about 320 people on board from all walks of life.
She docked at Gravesend for supplies and for the last chance for passengers to go ashore. Some families were landed here as symptoms of smallpox were discovered and scarlet fever was spreading fast. She anchored in the Downs (off Deal) and called for help from Deal. She was there for several days before continuing her journey. This took over eighty days, a fast time, apparently, but by the time she reached Lyttleton disease has caused the 'Mystery' to fly the yellow fever flag and thus be put into quarantine.
Once ashore, the Deal families, amongst others were housed in the nearby barracks then set about unloading the ship. The self-funded families found immediate employment doing what boatmen did in Deal.
The self-funded boatmen established a fishery in Lyttleton in 1861 but two years later went bankrupt as fishing was not a familiar occupation for Deal boatmen.
Edward Newton moved to Timaru and became a fisherman. His wife Sarah sought a protection order against him in addition to custody of their children but both cases were withdrawn. After suffering some serious accidents, Edward moved to Gisborne, where he died aged 87.
John Newton died at the age of 93. He entered public service before returning to being a boatman for Lyttleton Harbour Board. He retired at 75. When he died he left 5 sons, 2 daughters, 28 grandchildren and 45 great-grandchildren.
Hope this is of interest. I have left out the details of the privations of the voyage, sticking only to the Newton-related facts.

Regards

AJ
it is very interesting

Offline Kirsty Edwards

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 11 April 18 15:18 BST (UK) »
Hello Kirsty

Regards

AJ

That is very interesting, thank you. I wonder why Sarah did that., maybe he was a big drinker. I think I have too many children then, you've said 7 children - I have this:

Offline AJ100

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 12 April 18 14:38 BST (UK) »
Thank you Kirsty and oots. Kirsty, the names you list are the children of Edward, are they not? The 7 children belonged to John.
I can go further back to John & Edward's parents if required. That's where the Dorcas comes from.

AJ

Offline AJ100

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 14 April 18 15:03 BST (UK) »
I've been fishing around the Newton ancestors and have found a query which someone may be able to help with.
John & Edward and their 9 siblings' parents were James & Jemima.
James was one of four children to Isaac and Dorcas (often recorded as Darkies, implying she or he had a strong accent that wasn't from Deal).
The puzzle is with James, father of John and Edward. Isaac and Dorcas had a child James baptised 31/12/1783 and Isaac had another son James baptised 28/3/1784 baseborn by the wife of William Gamon.
Logically it would be assumed that the first James had died but there is no record of his burial in any of the Deal records. Does that mean that there were, in fact, two James? In which case which was the father of Edward, John and their siblings?
If anyone has any thoughts I'd be pleased to hear them.

AJ