Author Topic: William Grainger birth record  (Read 2216 times)

Offline Blue-Sten

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
William Grainger birth record
« on: Monday 06 February 06 13:19 GMT (UK) »
Bit of a needle in a haystack...

Wondered if anyone could help me find the birth record of William Grainger in Shropshire in 1796. I have no details of his parents or where exactly he was born so it may take some time.

Any help gratefully received

Offline pete edwards

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: William Grainger birth record
« Reply #1 on: Monday 06 February 06 18:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi Blue Sten :)

Found  8 William Graingers on the shrop par disc, (Hereford Diocese ) approx 1530/1820, 5 of these being around the Atcham area, The closest I can get to your William
( by 18 years ) is

Renled par reg, vol 2

15/march/1798 William s of  John Grainger & Mary , bap   ( misplaced )

( what the misplaced means I dont know  ??? )

Hope this helps,
Best regards,
Pete,  :)
Edwards, mainly Cound, Frodesely, Acton Burnell. Pitchford. and surrounding villages, Shropshire, /  Rowe, Cound, / Littlehales, Berrington, Shropshire / Radford, Dublin, /   Maguire, Acton Burnell, /  Rudge, Frodesely, /

Offline Blue-Sten

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 07 February 06 13:47 GMT (UK) »
Could be him....

What is Renled?

Offline pete edwards

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 07 February 06 18:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi.

Found him in the,   Harley, Shienton, Cressage, Kenly, Cound, Longton upon tern, Grinshill, Parish registers, Litchfield diocese,
renled parish registers,

When I entered his name in this lot it came up with what I sent you, I must confess I havent a clue what renled is either, Ive just tried to look it up in the dictionary, not in there,

Anyway I found him again, this time I scrolled up the list of entries to find the parish church, and it appears to be Kenly,

Hope this helps,
Pete.
Edwards, mainly Cound, Frodesely, Acton Burnell. Pitchford. and surrounding villages, Shropshire, /  Rowe, Cound, / Littlehales, Berrington, Shropshire / Radford, Dublin, /   Maguire, Acton Burnell, /  Rudge, Frodesely, /

Offline Blue-Sten

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 08 February 06 09:43 GMT (UK) »
Thanks very much. I wouldn't imagine I can prove it is the same guy can I?

Offline pete edwards

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 08 February 06 18:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Not really without a bit more to go on, I did just try the surname "Grainger" to see where they were, 84 came up, 52 of these being in the renled? registers,
11 being next door on the Condover registers,  Im searching Cound which is also renled registers and I see this surname cropping up on all the census records I look at for the area,  how did you get back to William ?.

Pete.

Offline Blue-Sten

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 09 February 06 09:27 GMT (UK) »
Going back through my Graingers, I managed to find an Edward Grainger who is my ggg grandfather or something! He was in Warrington on the 1851 Census living with his father William Grainger - then 57, married to Mary from Warrington, and stated as being born in Shropshire. Seem to remember him being a publican.

I've been struggling to find him on the 1861 census though, even though I know he died in 1866. I have ordered his death cert from the GRO so, as it has just occured to me, that may show who his father was.  I've another post on here asking for help if anyone can find him in 1861 but have had no joy so far.

I don't know if he had any siblings either so can't try and trace those. I'm just trying to go as far back as possible and never been told how, so I'm making it up as I go along!

Any info you can find on my William is much appreciated!

Offline pete edwards

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 09 February 06 20:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi,  :)

Is this him in 51,
Mersey street,

William   Grainger    head    M    57    licienced  victualler      Shropshire
Mary            "          wife      m    57                                       Warrington
Elizabeth     "          du       un    22                                             "
    "           Robinson  vis     wid     78                                          "
John Braithwait         ser    un      16     house servent           Dublin
Peter Linnet              vis      "       43      iron moulder                 "
Joseph Hable             "        "       36              "                           "
John Bigman              "        "       35              "            Berwick on tweed

If so, I tried like you to find him on the 61 census, no luck  :(
One thing I did find useful on a census return, was the name of an old lady,

What is an old lady of 78  doing in a hard drinking pub full of drunken Irshmen?
who was she visiting, her daughter or grandaughter,

Best wishes,
Pete, :)

Offline Blue-Sten

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 10 February 06 14:23 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

That's my man! Maybe the Robinson woman was the mother of Mary - i don't know her maiden name yet so I can't confirm that.  If she is anything like my family now, and still liking a good knees-up, then she quite possibly may have been propped up at the end of the bar!

i've just received his death cert today. Whilst it does not say who his parents were as I previously thought it might, it does say that he died in 23 Bottom's Yard, Mersey Street, Warrington - so I guess he was still around the area. He was found deceased by the coroner so I think he may have lived alone.