Author Topic: Edlin in Ickenham. Middlesex, London and Sussex  (Read 14968 times)

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
Edlin in Ickenham. Middlesex, London and Sussex
« on: Thursday 09 February 06 11:11 GMT (UK) »
The dozen or so people who are seriously tracing the Edlin family in Ickenham seem to have got stuck with John Edlin.  he was born in 1765 and married three times

1) Alice Robinson in 1792.  She and her three chidren died in the "plague" of 1799.  This was documented by Dr Abraham Edlin of Uxbridge ( no relationship has been established)

2) Jane Lisson in 1803 (this surname which has been examined in the actual register and the Banns Book could be wrong).  They had two children only one of whom, William,  survived and is the ancestor of our line.

3) Mary Ann Warden in 1819.  John died in 1821, their only daughter having not survived and she remarried Thomas Hallom (Fallon) in 1821.

My question quite simply is there anyone out there who has broken this brick wall?  The parish registers do not help.
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline suspiceone

• I am sorry but my email is not working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Edlin in Ickenham
« Reply #1 on: Monday 13 February 06 05:51 GMT (UK) »
Have you read " Genealogy and History of the Edlin Family " ,  author is Frank
Edward  Edlin. He mentions a Dr. Edlin from NewYork who came from England soon after the Civil War. This branch of the family were Jewish and have a very strong presence along the Eastern coast of the USA. He goes on to say that he had engaged a Commercial genealogist  ( Nancy L Halbert of Bath, Ohio ) to research the name EDLIN. The result was, that the name appeared to be patronymical in origin,associated with the English, King Eade. She has also supplied an early coat of arms taken from Rietstap Armorial General of England.
Edlin / Edlyn / Edelin  from NZ , Leic. ,Yorks. , France.

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 13 February 06 10:43 GMT (UK) »
I am not aware of that particular publication and will try to obtain a copy.  Thank you.

The earliest immigrant to the US using the name Edelen would appear to be the Maryland family whose ancestor is  Richard Edelen who emigrated in 1663.  This particular branch can be traced throughout the US today using this unique spelling.  I have seen no evidence that this spelling has ever been used in the UK other than by Richards parents.

There are a number of authentications of the arms used by various branches of this wider family all of which point to an English origin.  Wagner in particular confirmed that the swan's neck crest was of Norman origin which fits with the speculative tree.

This family in particular can be traced, not without gaps in the Pinner area of Middlesex back to 1400.  A century prior to that names would have been patronymic and so an English derivation is fairly certain.

If you look at the situation in Leicestershire the story is very much the same with links back to 1500 with a vague partronymic link back in 1196.

As to King Eade, I can't fit him anywhere into my knowledge or reference material on English History.  Stories created by "professional" genealogists have a lot to answer for. Typical of these is the origins of the Edelen family mentioned above which are published all over the internet.  It doesn't take much effort to show that the most common line claimed includes Richard of Woodhall, an unmarried batchelor who died with out issue.

David
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor

Offline suspiceone

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 13 February 06 23:55 GMT (UK) »
David, This was a private publication. I have a copy that was photostated for me by the Edlins in Arizona. There are several Edlins of the Jewish faith in the NY area, and I believe they are not part of the Edelins/Edelens of Maryland etc.
Kindest regards, John

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 14 February 06 11:03 GMT (UK) »
I have emailed you a copy of my document on the Edlin Coat of Arms.  Let me know if any of it matches what is in the publication.  I will eventually convert a copy of the arms suitable for this site

David

Offline suspiceone

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 15 February 06 00:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi David, the two that I have are as follows :

arms: Ermine, a fess vair, in chief two arrows, saltireways proper, all within a bordure nebuly sable
crest:a swan's head between two wings argent
motto: suspice

arms:quartered: 1and 4 divided diagonally gold over black; a crook ending in a trefoil, placed diagonally and counterchanged; 2 and 3 silver; a red diagonal band between in top , a black eagle's leg and in base, a black wing turned to the left.
crest: a gold lion issuing and turned to the left, crowned gold.

crest: a swan,s head two wings , argent

David hope this helps.  Regards, John

Offline suspiceone

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 15 February 06 06:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi David,
I have the Sir Peter Henry Edlin coat of arms from Burkes Gen. Armory : Arms:
Ermine a fess vair, inchief two arrows saltirewise ppr. , all within a bordure nebuly sa. Crest : A crescent or. there from rising a falcon ppr. , belted and jested gold, each wing charged with a trefoil slipped vert.  Motto: Suspice.
Kindest regards
John

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 15 February 06 14:43 GMT (UK) »
Those Coats of Arms are intreguing John.  The one in my profile is that used by Aldenham Edlins and the Edelen family which emigrated to Maryland.

The one granted to Sir Peter Edlin contained variants from the Colshill family (his grandmother) in particular the crossed arrows in chief (top middle) and border, and used the Colshill Crest.  I asked the College of Arms for a copy of the pedigree upon which this grant was based and was quoted £125 for them to look some years ago.

I know Sir Peters immediate pedigree but would like to know if he really links back to the 16th century family.  The presence of the border may indicate that the College of Arms never actually proved it.  I don't know my heraldry that well. Sir Peter was an eminent judge who presided at some interesting cases at the Old Bailey.

The similar one which reverted to the original crest may be that of his son Oswald who was also knighted.  The unchanged shield would indicate that it belongs to an heir.

The use of the Swan's Neck and Wings Crest is supposed to indicate descent from the Counts of Louvain and Boulogne probably of a knight who came over with William the Conqueror but was not strictly a Norman.

David

Offline suspiceone

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 16 February 06 01:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi David
Thankyou for your reply. I will copy and post to you. Could you please send a postal address. Also I have obtained copies of The English Historical Review of  William Fitz Audelin ,thru The Oxford Press. Would you like copies ? I will get together all the info I have on the various crests as well.
Kindest regards.  John