Author Topic: strays on the canals  (Read 53077 times)

Offline mrs noah

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
strays on the canals
« on: Saturday 25 September 04 21:57 BST (UK) »
 I am interested in Canal Boatmen, The Staffs and Worcs canal, The Black country routes, and the Trent and Mersey Canal. Is anyone else interested? and if so, can we exchange information?
On the canals...Turton, Wood, Mann,Cartwright, Neale, Grainger, Littlemore, Taylor. etc
Black country ancestors.... Beesley, Tranter, Fellows Barker, Perry, Evans, Glover.
also researching Birtwisle and Darby.

Offline NEL

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: strays on the canals
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 23 November 04 23:10 GMT (UK) »
Yes, I'm looking for Thomas Smith 1852 and Henry Smith 1830? both listed as boatmen, although later miners etc,  census returns Hardingswood, Kidsgove, 1881 I have a few strays, you may have these alreay??? Nel
Smith, Archer, Hilditch, Boulton, Boote, Wootton, Staffordshire and Cheshire

Offline mrs noah

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 25 November 04 19:22 GMT (UK) »
Hello/

Have you anymore info about the 2 men you are looking for?

I have only just picked up your querie.

The trouble is there a lot of Smiths about....

Mrs Noah
On the canals...Turton, Wood, Mann,Cartwright, Neale, Grainger, Littlemore, Taylor. etc
Black country ancestors.... Beesley, Tranter, Fellows Barker, Perry, Evans, Glover.

Offline NEL

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 27 November 04 23:42 GMT (UK) »
Hiya, Thomas Smith was my GG Grandfather. He was born in Hardingswood, Kidsgrove. Hardingswood comes under Audley Parish but Kidsgrove is Tunstall so part of Stoke- on Trent. His birth, 1852/3 wasn't registered so I now have to look in parish records, not sure where to start? His father was Henry Smith ? born 1830 in Stoke, his mother was Caroline. In the 1871 census at Hardingswood, Thomas is listed with his parents and siblings, Daniel, Henry, Sarah, Alice, William and George. Henry at this time was a head boatman, no idea which company he may have worked for or name of the boat. Family rumour says they had a link with The salt mines in Cheshire.
Thomas wife was Sarah Archer whose father Samuel was also a boatman, they were from Odd Rode Cheshire. I have Thomas in 1871, 1881, 1891 and 1901. Henry died 1883 -1901, is this any help. Do you need any info? Nel
Smith, Archer, Hilditch, Boulton, Boote, Wootton, Staffordshire and Cheshire

Offline mrs noah

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 30 November 04 20:57 GMT (UK) »
  Hi     

Have been trying to decide just what it is you are asking for......... as you know who you are looking for and have found them on the census.
Hardings wood is near to Church Lawton and also Kidsgrove.
Perhaps you might find your Thomas registered there.
It is worth remembering that Canal Boatmen, if they lived on the boat were not keen to linger at any one stop  and would only tie up and wait for a baby to be born before casting off again,,,hence a child born in Staffordshire might turn up as being baptised in Stourport!!!!!!
some times more than one child would be baptised on the same day....which complicates things.

They might be helpful   also try looking in the will index.s some times you are lucky and find a will or an administration  I have been fortunate on a number of occassions to have found a boatmans will.

The Stafford record Office will hold the PRs for Stoke area and the Record office in Chester will have the cheshire PRs.
Have found another Thomas Smith  [not yours] marrying in 1865 a sarah Wilding in Middlewich.....

and a Thomas Smith dying in Middlewich in 1903 aged about 66.
I also have references to Archer in Kidsgrove and  Archer and Smith in Odd Rode. If you would like me to send them to you i will.

You mention that Henry was sometimes associated with the salt trade.
Salt and midcheshire go together,
and many men worked down the salt mines or carried salt on their barges. Winsford and Northwich were very industrail in those days  so Henry and his Family could have been involved in both types of work.

My canal boatmen worked on the Trent and Mersey,  and the Staffs and Worcs taking goods from Runcorn to Stourport!!!!

Is this of any help?? Is there anything else i can say that might help you?

Mrs noah

Offline mrs noah

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 01 December 04 17:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi

If you are on line ,,,,,,I am too .....

Offline cardiff

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 01 December 04 18:27 GMT (UK) »
My gg grandfather Joseph Fletcher lived staffordshire worked on the canal.b.1844
cheers cardiff
All CensusTranscriptions are Crown Copyright

Read Wiltshire /Pontypridd
Dove Lincolnshire/Pontypridd/Cardiff
Barnhouse Cardiff/Pontypridd
Wilkes Shropshire/ Staffordshire/ Rhondda
Fletchers Staffordshire/ Glamorgan
Wright Somerset/ Glamorgan
Probert Cardigan/Rhondda/Shropshire
Jenkins Cardigan
Lewis Cardigan
Morgan Penderyn/Pontypridd
Stephens Penderyn
David Glamorgan
Whitby Forest Dean
Hughes Goodrich/Pontypridd
Jackson/Smith London /Kent/Glamorgan
Hughes Maesteg/Ynyshire

Offline mrs noah

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 02 December 04 14:33 GMT (UK) »
What famillies did your Fletchers marry into?

which Canals were they on???

How does it connect to Wales? is it through the shroppie

Mrs N

Offline cardiff

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 03 December 04 16:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Joseph Fletcher b.1844
M Ann Phillips b.1844 Penci Rhiwabon Wrexham North Wales
They lived in Bilston Staff.
I understand that Joseph’s father was also called Joseph I am unsure which one worked on the canal but they did own their own boat.
I was interested to hear you ask about the Shropshire lot?
Is this a common connection?

They had eight children Clara b1866, Joseph 1868, MaryAnn b1870, Fanny b1872 Martha b1879, Frank b unknown , Richard b. unknown. I believe one brother immigrated to Australia.
Their fifth son John Fletcher born 1874 is my great grandfather he married an Eliza Jane Wilkes b.1875 Porthill Shropshire.
When they married  John’s address was 9 Buath Glys Pontygwaith that’s near Quakers yard S.Wales.
I also understand that  area has a lot of Fletchers.
John lived the rest of his life in Porth in the Rhondda and died in 1947. John also married  twice more.

I don’t have all the Fletcher side of the family info, a cousin has that.
But have been following the Phillips side of that family.
Cheers cardiff
All CensusTranscriptions are Crown Copyright

Read Wiltshire /Pontypridd
Dove Lincolnshire/Pontypridd/Cardiff
Barnhouse Cardiff/Pontypridd
Wilkes Shropshire/ Staffordshire/ Rhondda
Fletchers Staffordshire/ Glamorgan
Wright Somerset/ Glamorgan
Probert Cardigan/Rhondda/Shropshire
Jenkins Cardigan
Lewis Cardigan
Morgan Penderyn/Pontypridd