Author Topic: 113 St. Helen's Rd, Swansea.  (Read 9018 times)

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 113 St. Helen's Rd, Swansea.
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 09 March 06 09:36 GMT (UK) »
hi romilly, i will see if can find any old photos for you.. give me a few days.. my mother has a lot of books on old swansea..  ;)

Thanks Sharon, - I'll look forward to that! :)

Cheers, Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline bernard_lewis

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 10 September 06 23:41 BST (UK) »
I know St Helens Road, Swansea and I have to say that I cannot place the picture! And to say that the sea is on the doorstep is hard to believe as the road is on a rise that must be 30 feet min above sea level and the sea is probably at least 200 yards away!

Bernard
Author 'Swansea and the Workhouse - the Poor Law in 19th century Swansea' (2003); 'Swansea Pals - the 14th (Service) Battalion, the Welsh Regiment in the Great War' (2004); 'Foul Deeds and Suspicious Deaths Around Swansea''. (2009); 'Swansea in the Great War' ( 2014); 'Neath! Neath! Neath! The Record-Breaking 1988/89 Season' (2016). My blog: https://bernardlewisauthor.wordpress.com/

Offline bernard_lewis

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 10 September 06 23:45 BST (UK) »
Just looking again I think the house is not on St Helens Road but is a bit further on - I think the road has a different name. If still relevant please let me know and I'll have a look.

Apologies if I've misread the other poster on this topic. And is it 93 or 113 that you're after?

Bernard
Author 'Swansea and the Workhouse - the Poor Law in 19th century Swansea' (2003); 'Swansea Pals - the 14th (Service) Battalion, the Welsh Regiment in the Great War' (2004); 'Foul Deeds and Suspicious Deaths Around Swansea''. (2009); 'Swansea in the Great War' ( 2014); 'Neath! Neath! Neath! The Record-Breaking 1988/89 Season' (2016). My blog: https://bernardlewisauthor.wordpress.com/

Offline Crinoline

• RootsChat Member
  • Looking for some roots...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 11 September 06 08:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Bernard,

Thanks for your interest.

Yes, I think the Roads have been re-named somehow. I know that we drove around for ages looking for it when we visited in May.

113 is where my father was born in 1896, and 93 is where my Grandfather, William James Wilson ran the family painting & decorating business from, (Wilson & Co).

Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline welshgirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 05 October 06 22:20 BST (UK) »
I agree wholeheartedly with Bernard.  St. Helens Road starts at Kingsway roundabout near YMCA and ends just after the old Swansea Hospital (now retirement flats) not far from Joes Ice Cream Parlour.  Leading towards The Guildhall, the houses on the right would be on St.Helens Avenue.  Far enough from the sea I would have thought. 

Neil family, Kilmarnock
Jones, Penrice, Gower

Offline sha61

• I have chosen not to receive new notifications
  • RootsChat Extra
  • the reed family (swansea)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 06 October 06 08:16 BST (UK) »
 ???
 hi romilly, how are you, long time since i`ve been on here, i can see there`s a bit of confusion as to where st helens rd starts & ends,  but the photo i posted for you is st helens rd, when it passes the crown crt, it tapers of to the left, down to mumbles rd, which is on the seafront, st helens ave is further over... and the road passing the guildhall is called guild hall south.. hope this helps.. i have checked my a-z, and it is all accurate//    best wishes .. sharon
smith.. reed.. williams.. collier.. griffiths.. swansea

manchester.. clark.. sugg.. roach.. knight

Offline Crinoline

• RootsChat Member
  • Looking for some roots...
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 06 October 06 09:37 BST (UK) »
???
 hi romilly, how are you, long time since i`ve been on here, i can see there`s a bit of confusion as to where st helens rd starts & ends,  but the photo i posted for you is st helens rd, when it passes the crown crt, it tapers of to the left, down to mumbles rd, which is on the seafront, st helens ave is further over... and the road passing the guildhall is called guild hall south.. hope this helps.. i have checked my a-z, and it is all accurate//    best wishes .. sharon

Hi Sharon,

Nice to hear from you again! :D

My previous account got scrambled, - hence the new name.

I know that you're right, - I stood outside that house in May and looked at the sea-front!!!
Somewhere, I've got a pic of the road showing the sea at the end of it.

We did get a bit confused trying to find it by car, - mainly because of the St Helen's Avenue bit, but it is definately there. (Its at the Oystermouth Rd end). See Link:

http://www.multimap.com/map/browse.cgi?pc=SA14BE&GridE=&GridN=&scale=10000&title=Brunswick

All Best Wishes, Romilly.