Author Topic: John Graham Emerson Street Belfast  (Read 4580 times)

Offline pentio

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
John Graham Emerson Street Belfast
« on: Monday 06 March 06 14:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I am looking for any information on my gg uncle John Graham born 1873 on the island of St Helena West Africa. His parents were John and Elizabeth Anne Graham who returned with their family to Ireland in 1891. I know that in 1901 he resided at no 33 Emerson Street Belfast which i believe was in the Woodvale area. He worked as a general labourer and  attended the Church of Ireland. I would appreciate any help no matter how small.

many thanks

Pentio

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: John Graham Emerson Street Belfast
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 23 April 06 16:12 BST (UK) »
Hiya Pentio,

We have a problem. I looked in the Ulster Covenant 1912 http://www.proni.gov.uk/ulstercovenantsearch There are some John Grahams but none in Emerson Street. I wonder why John did not sign. A general labourer..maybe he could neither read or write. Maybe he was dead or had moved house. I could not find an Elizabeth. Lets assume she died prior to 1912. I did not think of looking for two Johns at the same address. You have a look.

There is still a chance of finding the trail. As a matter of interest what was the family doing in St Helena ??? http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/geos/sh.html Was John Snr in the Royal Navy.

Now back to John Jnr. I'll have a look for the nearest Church of Ireland Church in the area.

All the Best, Chris

Offline pentio

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 23 April 06 18:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Chris

Thanks for your help really appreciate it............the family lived in Saint Helena as John snr was a Sergt in the Royal Artillery and was stationed there for a few years........ the first two children were born on the island.

regards

pentio.

Offline stevenson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Sarah Twig Jr in 1950
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 23 April 06 18:36 BST (UK) »
Pentio

Although we have a direct line of grahams in 1800's our g grandfathers sister Mary Kirkpatrick married a John Graham......any help to you

steve
<br /><br />Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline pentio

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 23 April 06 19:01 BST (UK) »
Steve

Im not sure.... will need to do some more research into the Graham family if i find anything i will let you know many thanks.

pentio.

Offline Anthony

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 23 April 06 20:40 BST (UK) »
Hi

Offline pentio

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 28 April 06 00:59 BST (UK) »
Anthony

Thanks for your help....i dont think we have a William Graham in our tree...waiting for my big sis to get back to me .....as you say there are so many John Grahams.......just have to be patient and keep searching...we will find them eventually.

pentio.

Offline Lbyron

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 27 February 18 17:46 GMT (UK) »
I have no information on your request, but today I was looking for some information on my grandmother, Esther Bovill. Her address listed on her birth record is 102 Emerson Street. Her father was James Bovill. They came to the US in 1903.

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 27 February 18 18:13 GMT (UK) »
I see John W Graham aged 28 on 1901 census  34 Emerson Street, a Boarder and single
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai000300595/

I don't see him in the 1911.  Emerson street is one of the streets off the Shankhill Road.
In 1901 in the Belfast directory  75 Emerson Road  Graham, J., labourer
You can search and possibly find more in here http://www.lennonwylie.co.uk
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend