Author Topic: 1832 Christening  (Read 2213 times)

Offline TaffyBlue

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
1832 Christening
« on: Monday 06 March 06 16:14 GMT (UK) »
Would someone please lookup a christening that is listed on the IGI?  it concerns a Henry Nobbs who was christened on 23 Apr 1832 in North Shields, parents listed as Edward & Hannah Nobbs.  I would like to confirm these details, and if possible, Hannah's maiden name.

I have a Henry Nobbs (my gt-gt-grandfather) who was born in 1832, and his parents were Edward & Hannah Nobbs.  However, my Nobbs line are from Gt Yarmouth, Norfolk.  This christening is intriguing me as everything fits except the location.

Oddly, in another branch of my tree, I am currently researching someone claiming to be from Gt Yarmouth (coincidentally, Henry's brother-in-law) but we think was born in North Shields.

Any help would be welcome.

Thanks
FLOWERDEW - Norfolk, GUERIN - London, HAMER - Wales, MARUBBI - Wales/Italy, HODGES - Cheshire, NOBBS - Yarmouth, Norfolk, WILLIAMS - Caernarfonshire, WILSON - Glasgow, WOOLSEY - Norfolk

Offline 2zpool

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1832 Christening
« Reply #1 on: Monday 06 March 06 17:05 GMT (UK) »
The IGI actually says Earsdon by North Shields.  I looked in my records of Earsdon and I could not find this christening.  This is a transcript done locally.  I also looked in Tynemouth Christ Church which was the parish church for North Shields with no luck there either. hmmmmmm There was no marriage in Northumberland 1813-1837 for a Edward and Hannah Nobbs.  In fact there was only one Nobbs marriage--Cornelius Nobbs and Jane Hicks in Wallsend.  All you can really do is if no one looks for you at the parish record would be to order the film from your local Family Center (LDS) and see for yourself.

Janis
Co. Durham:  Hall, Snowdon, Makepeace, Barnfather, Barrass, Gray/Grey, Wilson, Carr, Cole, Richardson, Greener, Lamb
Northumberland:  Grey/Gray, Richardson, Barnfather, Heron, Redpath
------------------------------------------------------------------
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline TaffyBlue

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 06 March 06 17:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi Janis

Thanks for replying.  This one is confusing me.  The marriage between Edward & Hannah was in Gt Yarmouth in 1824.  In fact, everything I know about them is in Gt Yarmouth, so the refernce to Henry's christening in North Shields is baffling me.  I am presuming they went there to visit, and had young Henry christened at the time.

Failing that, I can only assume that the entry on the LDS in a transcription error, and should have been recorded for Norfolk instead of Northumberland.

Thanks again.

Paul
FLOWERDEW - Norfolk, GUERIN - London, HAMER - Wales, MARUBBI - Wales/Italy, HODGES - Cheshire, NOBBS - Yarmouth, Norfolk, WILLIAMS - Caernarfonshire, WILSON - Glasgow, WOOLSEY - Norfolk

Offline 2zpool

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 06 March 06 18:22 GMT (UK) »
Visiting Cornelius maybe?  Cornelius and Jane had children baptised in Tynemouth.  Yes it could be an error.  They have been known to make a few.  You may have to rule out the mistake though and look at the Earsdon record.  Are their other Earsdon's?

Janis
Co. Durham:  Hall, Snowdon, Makepeace, Barnfather, Barrass, Gray/Grey, Wilson, Carr, Cole, Richardson, Greener, Lamb
Northumberland:  Grey/Gray, Richardson, Barnfather, Heron, Redpath
------------------------------------------------------------------
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline TaffyBlue

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 06 March 06 18:28 GMT (UK) »
Just having a quick browse, and it appears there are quite a few of the Nobbs clan in Northumberland.  Not sure where the connection is though.  It seems coincidental that I have Edward & Hannah Nobbs, having 2 children, Elizabeth Ann and Henry, all born in Yarmouth.  However, LDS has exactly the same details, but based in North Shields.

I will keep digging, there is bound to be a solution somewhere, just need to find it.  I wish they had the 1841 census details on there!!