Author Topic: Cornish Mystery  (Read 119754 times)

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The Famous Five take tea on Parliament Hill
    • View Profile
Re: Cornish Mystery
« Reply #297 on: Sunday 28 December 14 03:24 GMT (UK) »
May I go back to square one and ask what is probably a dumb question? but I haven't been able to find the answer on reading the thread.

(Also a tip for reading a long thread like this: click "Print" up at the top and the entire thread will be visible which is so much easier for searching for info.)

Did anybody ever figure out who Amelia Carnarton was? ;)

I also couldn't see whether the death cert for the Amelia Carnarton who died in 1842 was got.
Much more info is now available; her burial is here
http://www.cornwall-opc-database.org/search-database/more-info/?t=burials&id=1493285
and she was 15 years old at death (residence Charles Street, Kenwyn), so she was not the Amelia aged 24 in 1841.

So is the 1842 death of 15-yr-old Amelia likely the Amelia baptised in 1824, with some age rounding? (or possible misreading of the microfiche if it said 18 maybe)

If no record of your Amelia's birth (baptism) was ever found, I also wondered about Amelia Bryant baptised October 1816 in Kenwyn, mother Mary Ann, no father named:
http://www.cornwall-opc-database.org/search-database/more-info/?t=baptisms&id=3223810
There is no obvious marriage or burial/death for her in Cornwall, or evidence of her by that name in censuses. (An unmarried Amelia Bryant from Cornwall in censuses in Gloucestershire with father James in 1841, who died in 1893, is not her.)
She could well have been a daughter of Charles Carnarton before his marriage to Mary Duff.
(I don't see any Mary Bryant marriage that would offer a Carnarton stepfather.)
The Charles who married Mary Duff was baptised 1800 in Helston.
A Mary Bryant was buried 1817 aged 16 in Falmouth ...
HILL, HOARE, BOND, SIBLY, Cornwall (Devon); DENNIS, PAGE, WHITBREAD, Essex; BARNARD, CASTLE, PONTON, Wiltshire; SANKEY, HORNE, YOUNG, Kent; COWDELL, Bermondsey; COOPER, SMITH, FALLOWELL, WILLEY, Notts; CAMPION, CARTER, CRADDOCK, KENNY, Northants; LITTLER, CORNER, Leicestershire; RUSHLAND, Lincolnshire; MORRISON, Ireland; COLLINS, ?; ... MONCK?

Offline Britgirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: Wednesday 04 February 15 16:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi JaneyCanuk,

You know, I really can't remember if we figured out Amelia Carnarton  or not now!
I would say the age of the Amelia Carnarton who died in 1842 in Charles St Truro was indeed 15, according to the register image at Family Search. The 5 is a bit of an open squiggle which could possibly be misread as 19, but looking at other entries made by the same clergyman I'd say she was 15. Either way I'm pretty certain that she was the daughter of Charles and Mary Duff which would rule out them as being the parents of the illegitimate Amelia as well.

The possibility of her being Amelia Bryant isn't something I have looked into, but it's certainly worth investigating!  :)

The reason I popped in today though, was to make another update concerning this comment from Valda:

Title: Re: Cornish Mystery
Post by: Valda on Saturday 08 April 06 07:56 BST (UK)

I can see absolutely nothing for Charitys or Christians on the Cornwall FHS marriage index so I'm concluding we have all of them now that married and survived to adulthood.

I have recently been contacted by a descendant of Christian Carnarton (1807) (aka Catherine/Kitty) who requested I updated you with what became of her.
She married Thomas Henry Heard on 14th May 1826 in Kenwyn Parish and then they moved around a lot between Cornwall, Berkshire & London before emigrating to Australia in 1857. They had 10 children and she died on 20th Sept 1885 in Collingwood, Victoria.
Maybe it will help any Heard descendants out there who are also wondering what became of Thomas Henry, or who have reached a stumbling block in connecting Kitty/Catherine with Christian!

Charity Carnarton however was buried in Helston on 10 February 1803 aged 5, the daughter of Charles Carnarton.

Grose - Cornwall
Rice - Devon
Harris - Herefordshire
Bristow - London
Sadler - Yorkshire
Nye - London
Allen - Cornwall
Palmer - Cornwall
Chynoweth - Cornwall
Cowling - Cornwall

Offline Britgirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: Tuesday 01 January 19 12:05 GMT (UK) »
I hope people don't mind me resurrecting this very old thread but time and genealogy moves on, and in the 13 (yes 13!!) years since this thread started research methods have taken quite an unforeseen turn.

Having tested my DNA with Ancestry I have since matched with several Carnarton descendants, and this week  with someone who is a descendant of Amelia Carnarton's half brother, William Dennis, which I think conclusively proves that all the researchers who worked on this thread were absolutely spot on the mark!
Thank you!!
Grose - Cornwall
Rice - Devon
Harris - Herefordshire
Bristow - London
Sadler - Yorkshire
Nye - London
Allen - Cornwall
Palmer - Cornwall
Chynoweth - Cornwall
Cowling - Cornwall

Offline deb usa

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #300 on: Sunday 13 January 19 19:48 GMT (UK) »
Fantastic news!

I can't believe this thread is 13 years old ....  :D
Travellers = Penfold, Orchard, James
Devon = Middleton,  Waterfield, Adams, Clark/e, Gould
Cornwall = Palmer, Carnarton, Slack/Smith. Morris/h
Wales, New Quay = James, Evans

All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Lydart

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: Sunday 13 January 19 21:06 GMT (UK) »
Amazing news after so long !   

ROOTSCHAT  FOR  EVER !!!
Dorset/Wilts/Hants: Trowbridge Williams Sturney/Sturmey Prince Foyle/Foil Hoare Vincent Fripp/Frypp Triggle/Trygel Adams Hibige/Hibditch Riggs White Angel Cake 
C'wall/Devon/France/CANADA (Barkerville, B.C.): Pomeroy/Pomerai/Pomroy
Som'set: Clark(e) Fry
Durham: Law(e)
London: Hanham Poplett
Lancs/Cheshire/CANADA (Kelowna, B.C. & Sask): Stubbs Walmesley

WRITE LETTERS FOR FUTURE GENERATIONS TO TREASURE ... EMAILS DISAPPEAR !

Census information Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline deb usa

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: Sunday 13 January 19 23:26 GMT (UK) »
Lydart ... it's so great!!!!

Britgirl and I have connected through DNA tests. Plus I have had connections on DNA matches to the Palmers and a whole LOT of Penfolds ... my Gypsy heritage.

How many years ago did we find your Peter Peters (I think) who died tragically from being run over by a carriage or pony trap?

RC members are amazing!
Travellers = Penfold, Orchard, James
Devon = Middleton,  Waterfield, Adams, Clark/e, Gould
Cornwall = Palmer, Carnarton, Slack/Smith. Morris/h
Wales, New Quay = James, Evans

All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Lydart

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: Monday 14 January 19 08:10 GMT (UK) »
Not one of mine .... I don't have any Peters ....
Dorset/Wilts/Hants: Trowbridge Williams Sturney/Sturmey Prince Foyle/Foil Hoare Vincent Fripp/Frypp Triggle/Trygel Adams Hibige/Hibditch Riggs White Angel Cake 
C'wall/Devon/France/CANADA (Barkerville, B.C.): Pomeroy/Pomerai/Pomroy
Som'set: Clark(e) Fry
Durham: Law(e)
London: Hanham Poplett
Lancs/Cheshire/CANADA (Kelowna, B.C. & Sask): Stubbs Walmesley

WRITE LETTERS FOR FUTURE GENERATIONS TO TREASURE ... EMAILS DISAPPEAR !

Census information Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cathayb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: Monday 14 January 19 18:23 GMT (UK) »
 :) :)
birchs taylors penfold orchard hughes all romany gypsies in the west country

Offline Janette52

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: Tuesday 07 June 22 21:01 BST (UK) »
Hi
I'm related on the buzza side
Two brothers ( Buzza)
Married two emidy sisters granddaughter of Joseph Antonio Emidy

On family search someone has done a book of sorts with loads of information on the emidy family