Author Topic: access to records in auckland nz  (Read 18107 times)

Offline valmai

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
access to records in auckland nz
« on: Wednesday 28 January 04 20:31 GMT (UK) »
i am able to look stuff up in the auckland central library, and would be glad to help if anyone wants anything looking up eg obits in newspapers etc.  i am new at this and will be happy to get practice in on your queries!

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Jump into your genes...and dig up your roots
    • View Profile
Re:access to records in auckland nz
« Reply #1 on: Friday 06 February 04 09:58 GMT (UK) »
Would you please be kind enough to look up death records/obits for the following:-

Thomas Trow born 10 Feb 1868 Llandinam, Montgomery, Wales, died 27 Sep 1937 Auckland, NZ.  His wife Margaret Eliza Trow (nee Owen) born 7 Jul 1880 Newtown, Montgomery, Wales, died 24 Jan 1941 Auckland, NZ.  They are both buried in Waikumete, NZ (I hope I've spelt that correctly!).

They emigrated to NZ approx 1895 - 1896, their first son was born in 1897 in NZ.  They had a further 16 children!!!!!

Any information you find would be most appreciated.
All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Bennett, Owen, Owens, Hudson, Crisp, Challinor/Challoner/Chaloner, Lewis, James, Richards, Simon, Mills, Evans, Trow, Davies, Turner, Beaton/Betton, Lloyd, Jenkins, Evans.....and a ton of JONES!!!!

TROW From Wales to New Zealand

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 06 February 04 10:08 GMT (UK) »
Hello again, I forgot to ask the following in my previous message  ::) :-

What records are you able to access?  Am I correct in thinking that NZ doesn't have census records like the UK?  If that is the case, how do you look up families - is it the Electoral Rolls?

Can you also get access to BMD records?

Thank you  :D
All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Bennett, Owen, Owens, Hudson, Crisp, Challinor/Challoner/Chaloner, Lewis, James, Richards, Simon, Mills, Evans, Trow, Davies, Turner, Beaton/Betton, Lloyd, Jenkins, Evans.....and a ton of JONES!!!!

Offline valmai

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 06 February 04 21:01 GMT (UK) »
hello jan

i was born in bridgnorth, quite near you.

i'm not sure what i can look up, i will find out on monday, as this is a holiday weekend here (waitangi day weekend).

i work for the council and can easily get to the central library, where i looked up an obit for someone in australia last week.  

regards, valmai

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 07 February 04 12:00 GMT (UK) »
Hello Valmai

Thank you for your prompt reply. :)

Bridgnorth isn't far away from Shrewsbury, it takes about half an hour's drive - what a small world!!!!!

I will wait to her from you once you have returned to work - enjoy your holiday weekend.

Regards, Jan

Offline tess1957

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 07 February 04 12:22 GMT (UK) »
hi there
what a kind offer!
my gg grandmother went to nz between 1891-1901 its a bit of a story but she was a widow with a baby who she left behind in uk.
Her maiden name was SARAH NEWMAN b 1862
she married FITZHERBERT WILLIAMS          1881
had daughter millicent                                       1889
fitzherbert died                                                      1890
so: we dont know if she travelled as williams or newman
we had a photo/postcard of her after 1902 riding a horse in nz and she had signed it on the back as SC so she must have married a mr C?
SARAH was born in farnham - surrey her mothers name was maria fathers name was george.
apart from coming to nz to look it up myself i dont really know what else to do so i wonder if you think this is enough to find her
many thanks teresa murray
Bigg-Newman-Williams-Latham-Ward-Green-Rouse-Huckstepp-

Offline valmai

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 07 February 04 20:36 GMT (UK) »
dear tess

i will go and start looking on monday.  xxxv

Offline tess1957

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 08 February 04 08:19 GMT (UK) »
wow,
thanks valmai - cant say how grateful i am - we had given up hope of ever finding her - it goes without saying, if you would like anything looked up this end let me know and ill do my (not very expert) best
regards tess
Bigg-Newman-Williams-Latham-Ward-Green-Rouse-Huckstepp-

Offline valmai

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 10 February 04 01:13 GMT (UK) »
dear jan lloyd

i have photocopied the death notices in the new zealand herald as follows:

death notices nz herald 25th january 1941, cuttings file: TROW on january 23rd at auckland hospital, maragaret, beloved wife of the late thomas trow, penrose road, ellerslie, aged 61 years.  interred this afternoon at waikumete cemetery.

death notices nz herald 29th september 1937, cuttings file: TROW on september 27 at auckland hospital.  thomas, beloved husband of margaret trow, penrose road, ellerslie, aged 69.  with christ, which is far better.  funeral from morrison's chapel, parnell, tomorrow (thursday) at 11 a.m. for waikumete.

i can post these copies to you, how do you let me know your snail mail address?  or box number maybe?

xxv